Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
affinity106

'Paranormal Activity 2'

46 posts in this topic

affinity106

Recently watched the first one again, not so scary when you're drunk with a group of mates who decide to talk the whole way through (I imagine 'cause a few of them were scared and don't like horror films) but still an enjoyable film. I like the whole Blair Witch Project/Cloverfield/.REC style though...

So who liked the first one and what do you think about the second one (from seeing the trailer unless it's already out in America?).

markprice

I didn't think the first one was scary, but it was good. Maybe the next one, by the look of the trailer, will be more of a horror...the guy is dead but she had his child and the dog knows that something...a lot of possibilities...almost seems like she'll go on a killing spree?

scaredsilly

its out now? never heard, ill keep my eye out for it, i liked the first one, but then again i like horror movies :)

ploppy

The trailer didn't really hype me up. The original film was enjoyable but it wasn't this ground-breaking *must see* film. Hope the second one ups the creepy factor.

[REC] still holds high for me in this genre.

affinity106

the guy is dead but she had his child and the dog knows that something...a lot of possibilities...almost seems like she'll go on a killing spree?

I take it you saw the ending where she throws him into the camera etc. but there in the two alternative endings *Spoiler alert* Katie a. walks back into the room and slits her throat with a knife and b. gets shot by the police.

Also there is no mention of her being pregnant in the first one and I can't imagine her going around doing the filming herself which leads me to believe the next film is about new characters, scenario etc.

Edited by affinity106

markprice

I take it you saw the ending where she throws him into the camera etc. but there in the two alternative endings *Spoiler alert* Katie a. walks back into the room and slits her throat with a knife and b. gets shot by the police.

Also there is no mention of her being pregnant in the first one and I can't imagine her going around doing the filming herself which leads me to believe the next film is about new characters, scenario etc.

Well you see the kid in the crib and the dog barking before she enters the room. If it's not the same girl they would have to get into how the entity chooses its victims like in the first movie where he researched from the ouija board name--there has to be a connection. But the alternate ending where she kills herself...I forgot about that.

wake up now

scariest movie i've seen in a long while. i was almost giving up on horror.

HerNibs

Just watched the first one a few days ago. Eh. Glad I didn't pay to see it in a theater.

Here is the trailer for the new one -

Nibs

TheNightWalker

I'm sure I'll see it in theaters just to watch my friends get scared, but the first one was just OK in my opinion. I just hated when it went from believable plot to slightly unrealistic to nonsense. Hopefully the sequel won't be so far fetched.

ploppy

This is all we're gonna get til the film comes out isn't it?

Wookietim

You know, when I first saw PA in the theaters I was unimpressed... extremely so. I thought it was boring and that it telegraphed every scare except for the very last big jump scare (The body being thrown at the camera). Then... I went home and about 3 days later was trying to fall asleep, in the dark, alone. And then I realized exactly how well that movie was made and how effective it was.

Somehow I suspect PA2 will just be a rehash of the first one and therefore will not be as effective. On the other hand... well.. the first one didn't strike me as good either at first and now I respect it as a really good little horror movie, so who knows?

affinity106

The only thing I didn't really like in the first one was the whole "Ouija board on fire" nonsense but apart from that I thought it was a very effective film in the same way I thought The Blair Witch Project was when I first saw it and it still remains one of my favorite horror titles (I haven't seen the squeal "Book of Shadows" and don't wish to as to not ruin the first one for me).

I imagine Paranormal Activity 2 will essentially be the same film repeated but maybe with slightly more "paranormal" goings on (maybe more "poltergeist moving objects around the room" type stuff). Either way, it looks like it'll be worth a watch, even if only on DVD.

Wookietim

The only thing I didn't really like in the first one was the whole "Ouija board on fire" nonsense but apart from that I thought it was a very effective film in the same way I thought The Blair Witch Project was when I first saw it and it still remains one of my favorite horror titles (I haven't seen the squeal "Book of Shadows" and don't wish to as to not ruin the first one for me).

I hate to admit it... But I kinda like "Blair Witch 2" a bit better than the first one. Yeah I know... it's crappy and pure Hollywood. But I still find it slightly more unsettling than the first one and I like the meta-textual commentary in the movie with the plot being about people who took the first movie as being real (And that is reading too much intelligence into the sequel but there you have it)...

affinity106

markprice

That was a much better trailer!

Pol_Pot_Lives_Again

I heard the second one is based on true events.

ploppy

THey all say that.

She-ra

Saw it. Did nothing for me.

There's a new one out similar to this about a ghost team investigating John Wayne Gacy's home (the serial killer). It's shot in a similar style but meh...I guess if your drinking with your mates and ready to be scared it might be fun but it did nothing for me either. Here's a link to the Gacy movie...

http://www.novamov.com/video/f892d77f66511

ploppy

You saw PA 2? It's out already?

She-ra

online- a screener

Hp213

I remember seeing the first when it came out, wasn't that scary but it was good with some jumpy parts. I want to see the second one, that looks good.

ploppy

Saw it last night, though the atmosphere was completely ruined by the entire audience being yappy, noisy 16 year olds.

Anyway the main letdown for me in this film was:

There were so many long periods of nothingness happening in this film and then bam everything started to increases at a much faster pace (than PA1 anyway).

I mean you see the markings etched by presumably Kristi on the door that leads to the basement. You'd expect a scene involving someone trying to figure out what the letters spelt/meant, but it was completely left and ignored.

affinity106

I'm going to go see it [Paranormal Activity 2] sometime this week. Saw the first one at the cinema and thought it was pretty decent (atmosphere wise) so hopefully the second one will be worth the trip.

scaredsilly

i saw it a few days ago, it was good though not as good as the first one

Melamity

That baby's so cute.