Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Paranormal Activity 2'

affinity106

Saw it last night, though the atmosphere was completely ruined by the entire audience being yappy, noisy 16 year olds.

Anyway the main letdown for me in this film was:

There were so many long periods of nothingness happening in this film and then bam everything started to increases at a much faster pace (than PA1 anyway).

I mean you see the markings etched by presumably Kristi on the door that leads to the basement. You'd expect a scene involving someone trying to figure out what the letters spelt/meant, but it was completely left and ignored.

HAHA. That's amazing, because I had the exact same experience with the audience. It was awful. But I actually enjoyed the movie. I'm sure it actually helped that my adrenaline was high because I was so angry at these teen's. I thought the build up helped, and I was definitely more frightened than I was watching PA1. I did find it annoying that the scratched letters were hardly mentioned after that scene... but it kind of reminds me of Blair Witch in that sense, considering they found all of these cryptic signs that they didn't even have time to figure out.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ploppy

• affinity106

• Wookietim

• markprice

HAHA. That's amazing, because I had the exact same experience with the audience. It was awful. But I actually enjoyed the movie. I'm sure it actually helped that my adrenaline was high because I was so angry at these teen's. I thought the build up helped, and I was definitely more frightened than I was watching PA1. I did find it annoying that the scratched letters were hardly mentioned after that scene... but it kind of reminds me of Blair Witch in that sense, considering they found all of these cryptic signs that they didn't even have time to figure out.

I have yet to see PA2... Mainly because I discovered that the first one seemed to work better as a DVD than as a movie on the big screen (Same way I felt about the Blair Witch Project - these camcorder type movies seem to work better if you watch them as home movies rather than in the theater... for me at least). But that is pretty much like the first one - scratches on the Ouija board were written down, discussed and then never mentioned again throughout the movie.

I have yet to see PA2... Mainly because I discovered that the first one seemed to work better as a DVD than as a movie on the big screen (Same way I felt about the Blair Witch Project - these camcorder type movies seem to work better if you watch them as home movies rather than in the theater... for me at least). But that is pretty much like the first one - scratches on the Ouija board were written down, discussed and then never mentioned again throughout the movie.

I agree in some respects about the 'more realistic' if you watch it on T.V or PC/laptop but with Paranormal Activity I think the surround sound in the cinema is definitely needed.

I went to see Paranormal Activity 2 on Wednesday and really enjoyed it, not sure if I'd say it's better than the first one, few more jumpy moments though and I'm not too convinced on the ending.

One thing I did notice as well was they showed clips in the trailer that didn't appear in the film. Directors cut DVD maybe? Just thought that was odd.

I agree in some respects about the 'more realistic' if you watch it on T.V or PC/laptop but with Paranormal Activity I think the surround sound in the cinema is definitely needed.

I went to see Paranormal Activity 2 on Wednesday and really enjoyed it, not sure if I'd say it's better than the first one, few more jumpy moments though and I'm not too convinced on the ending.

One thing I did notice as well was they showed clips in the trailer that didn't appear in the film. Directors cut DVD maybe? Just thought that was odd.

i think some of the clips that were shown in trailer was part of the viral marketing footage that was shot and posted on the internet just to get fans/tweens all giddy about the release.

I enjoyed the film as well, the first one kind of set the bar and there was nothing new in this one, formula-wise as it was basically the same except for a few more jolts as someone already mentioned. Still, fun watch minus all the 16 year olds who are almost guaranteed to ruin anyone's experience!

I do have a kinda embarrassing confession to make about these movies... I think I am one of only about 12 people in the world that enjoyed "The Blair Witch Project 2" more than the original...

As far as PA2 goes - I have heard a lot of good stuff about it...

I watched number one, the whole way through I was like "Aw, this is nothing".

I went to bed that night. Usually I turn the big light off {ceiling light} and read by lamp light. I was reading, it was all quiet, and then I heard a scratching sound. My adrenaline suddenly shot up and I was all "What's that?!"

Looked around, saw nothing, sat back against the pillows again, and spotted movement on my side of the bed, down the end. The blanket lifted up a tiny bit, went down, lifted, and then the lifted area started sliding across the bottom of the bed, really slowly.

Of course I basically wet myself because this was in the movie, clutching my book to my chest and pedaling backwards until I'm pressed up against the bedhead, eyes bugging out, making little "oh no oh no oh no" sounds.

The lump stops. Jerks forward towards my feet, and then I feel sharp pain in one of my toes.

I shriek and leap sideways out of bed, which whips the blankets back and reveals the horror within.....

.....my 8 week old foster kitten.

I'm not watching number 2.

I went to bed that night. Usually I turn the big light off {ceiling light} and read by lamp light. I was reading, it was all quiet, and then I heard a scratching sound. My adrenaline suddenly shot up and I was all "What's that?!"

Looked around, saw nothing, sat back against the pillows again, and spotted movement on my side of the bed, down the end. The blanket lifted up a tiny bit, went down, lifted, and then the lifted area started sliding across the bottom of the bed, really slowly.

Of course I basically wet myself because this was in the movie, clutching my book to my chest and pedaling backwards until I'm pressed up against the bedhead, eyes bugging out, making little "oh no oh no oh no" sounds.

The lump stops. Jerks forward towards my feet, and then I feel sharp pain in one of my toes.

I shriek and leap sideways out of bed, which whips the blankets back and reveals the horror within.....

I had a similar experience with Paranormal activity... I saw the first one and sat in the theater saying "This is stupid and not scary"... three nights later I was laying in bed and thought to myself what it would be like if I saw a shadow slide across the door to the bedroom and proceeded to have a sleepless night.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend told me all the footage is actually real and was recovered from security cameras that were installed in the house.

lol cute

You need to see 1 then 2 to make sense of stuff but 2 does show certain things to give you a clue. I found number 2 was better then 1.

The only paranormal activity I see is that people are actually paying hard earned cash to watch this movie. lol

Saw number 2 last night and liekd it. I saw number 1 at home and didn't think much of it. Number 2 i saw at he movies and had a different experience. I think you need to watch it at the cinema so you get the full effect. I don't get scared however there were several times i had waves of chills go over my body. Not much plot, but thats the movie. Sitting there watching security cameras waiting for nothing to happen. It builds the suspense whuile you are looking all over the screen trying to see anything that looks like a demon or ghost.

I didn't know much of number 2 before seeing it but the fact that number 2 is the prequel and sequel all at the same time was lost on me until today when the penny dropped. Number 2 is all about what happens before number 1 and then what happens just after the woman kills her husband in number 1.

I understand number 1 alot more now.

Loved the dog - very cool

if you Liked the leg pulling in number 1, you will love Number 2!

The first movie was hands down the scariest. I watched the 2nd one expecting to be scared out of my wits but I didn't even jump once. Worst sequel I've seen.

I think the second film managed to instill more scenes that were potentially scarier. Anything to do with families/killings of families and the attempt at harming a baby (paranormally or physically) can create terror and then when you add the haunted house element it is amped up.

Both films take a long time to start up, I still can't decide if the whole "swimming pool device leaving the pool" was of any use to the film, other than creating laughs.

I must be the minority here, but PA1 wasn't scary at all. It was the most boring "horror" movie I had ever seen. The hype surrounding it followed by the "real-time" camera footage of people being scared out of their seats in a theater was ridiculous. After having seen the movie, I thought to myself, the people who made the film did an excellent job in fooling the public.

The only thing I didn't really like in the first one was the whole "Ouija board on fire"

Why is that?

• 3 weeks later...

Both were boring, especially the second. When you have to search for something scary in the scenes you have to realize it's not entertaining. It's like playing "Where's Waldo", except you have to get up close to the tv and examine every scene closely....which is basically the same footage from security cameras over and over again. I can have a more entertaining experience taking my garbage out late at night.

I hate to admit it... But I kinda like "Blair Witch 2" a bit better than the first one. Yeah I know... it's crappy and pure Hollywood. But I still find it slightly more unsettling than the first one and I like the meta-textual commentary in the movie with the plot being about people who took the first movie as being real (And that is reading too much intelligence into the sequel but there you have it)...

LOL... I have the exact same opinion on the "Blair Witch 2" and how it was kind of neat that they factored in the popularity of the first movie into the plot itself.

It would have been easiest if they had just decided to make it a prequel instead of a sequel. When the original film is supposed to be real, then it is almost expected that the same expectation is continued into the second movie. I also thought the "goth" girl character was pretty entertaining because of her cynical, pragmatic outlook which was at odds with the rest of the group. It had interesting characters for the most part. The whole part about them finding out what they did the night before was pretty funny. They were all having sex, drinking, and acting like fools.

In regards to Paranormal Activity 1. I have not seen a more terrible movie in a long time, their was nothing scary about it at all, in fact it was more funny than scary. Its just a movie that had copied the Blair Witch Project, to make money out of gullible movie goers, nothing original at all. I wont be watching the second one as you might already have guessed.

Edited by Faeden