Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What was Andrew's real name?

Riaan

The name Andrew is of Hebrew origin. Andrew, the brother of Simon Peter, must have had a Hebrew name. What would that have been? Can anyone help?

The name Andrew is of Hebrew origin. Andrew, the brother of Simon Peter, must have had a Hebrew name. What would that have been? Can anyone help?

Let me rephrase: The name Andrew is of Greek origin.

Must there have been a Hebrew name?

If it is a story written in Greek, then I suppose that Greek suffice.

The Swedish name would be Andreas or Anders.

Well I prefer Andy

But in gaelic it's Anndra

As to the Caananite form of the name? Dunno.

|18| And walking beside Lake

Kinneret (Sea of Galilee), Rebbe,

Melech HaMoshiach saw two

achim, Shimon, the one being

called Kefa (Petros), and his

brother Andrew, casting a net into

the sea, for they were daiyagim

(fishermen).

|19| And Rebbe, Melech

HaMoshiach says, Come, follow

me, and I will make you daiyagei

adam (fishers of men).

One can note that it's about "andro-" meaning man or male, and also it's a brother.

There could be some unclear meaning to this.

One can note that it's about "andro-" meaning man or male, and also it's a brother.

There could be some unclear meaning to this.

This may indeed be a clue, although I could not find anything significant under 'man' in Strong's Hebrew Lexicon.

The name ‘Andrew’ may be however a transliteration of a Hebrew name or nickname of similar sound. The nearest I could get to is

Anad (bind, tie up) + rea (thunder, shout, noise)

or alternatively anah (several meanings, including speak, mourn, befall, etc) + dera (an arm).

None of these make particular sense, although the noise/thunder connotation is reminiscent of the ‘Sons of Thunder’, the name of John and James, the sins of Zebedee (Mark 3:17] supposedly interpreted us such from Boanerges.

Zebedee can be interpreted as Ze’abe-diy, meaning That or The Wolf, and Boanerges appears to have a similar meaning from Boao [to halloo or excite a pack of hunting dogs (wolves?)] (see Strong’s translations below)

The_Wolf.jpg

I could not find Hebrew words similar to Nerges, but the word appears to be of Sumerian origin, meaning Lord (Ner) Penis (ges/gis) or Top Dog (ges).

Boanerges can therefore be interpreted to mean something like Halloo-er of the Lord of the Penis (??) or Halloo-er of the Wolf Lord (Top dog= the wolf?).

Can ‘Andrew’ somehow be related to any of this?

According to Wiki - No Hebrew or Aramaic name is recorded for him. :unsure2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Andrew

|17| And Yaakov Ben Zavdai

and Yochanan, Yaakov's

brother. He gave to them the

name Bnei Regesh, (Sons of

Thunder).

|18| And Andrew and

Philippos and Bar-Talmai,

and Mattityahu, and Toma,

and Yaakov Ben Chalfai, and

Taddai, and Shimon the

Zealot,

They speak of Bnei Regesh, (Sons of Thunder).

In the Swedish version it says: "tordönsmän" wich means "men of thunder".

17. vidare Jakob, Sebedeus' son, och Johannes, Jakobs broder, åt vilka han gav tillnamnet Boanerges (det betyder tordönsmän);18. vidare Andreas och Filippus och Bartolomeus och Matteus och Tomas och Jakob, Alfeus' son, och Taddeus och Simon ivraren

Could it also be important if this name, Andreas, existed in Greek beforehand, or if it originated from the NT?

Edit: speech - speak

Edited by Slorri

Most likely, Andrew's Hebrew name would have been 'Avram.' I am Michael Andrew in English, Mordechai Avram is my Hebrew name.

Most likely, Andrew's Hebrew name would have been 'Avram.' I am Michael Andrew in English, Mordechai Avram is my Hebrew name.

I'm not so sure of this.

Avram = Abram

And when Avram

was ninety and

nine shanah,

Hashem appeared to Avram,

and said unto him, I am El

Shaddai; walk before Me, and

be thou tamim (blameless).

|2| And I will confirm My brit

(covenant) between Me and

thee, and will multiply thee

exceedingly.

|3| And Avram fell on his

face; and Elohim talked with

him, saying,

|4| As for Me, hinei, My brit

(covenant) is with thee, and

thou shalt be an Av of many

Goyim [see 18:18].

|5| Neither shall thy shem

any more be called Avram, but

thy shem shall be Avraham;

for Av hamon Goyim (Father

of a multitude of Goyim) have

I made thee. [T.N. Ga 3:29

says "And if you belong to

Moshiach (YESHAYAH 53:10),

then you are of the ZERAH of

Avraham Avinu, you are

yoreshim (heirs) according to

the havtachah (promise).]

|6| And I will make thee

exceeding fruitful, and I will

make Goyim of thee, and

Melechim shall come out of

thee.

Mordechai = Mordechai

"There was a Jewish man in Shushan Capital whose name was Mordechai, son of Yair, son of Shim'i, from the family of Kish, from the tribe of Benjamin."

Now in Shushan the

capital there was an ish

Yehudi, shmo Mordechai ben

Yair ben Shim'i ben Kish, a

Binyamini.

I should have used "possibly" instead of "most likely"... Andrew is Greek for 'manly'; Avram is Hebrew for 'fatherly.' It is also possible that Andrew's father chose a completely different name for his son. It's not like there is a conversion chart. <br>

• Like 1

Avram = Abram

Ab-ra-am could also mean Father (ab) of the seeing (ra'ah) people (am).

From mythology, the seeing people could be the group called the Watchers or Guardians (?).

The name "Andrew" is of Greek origin, *but* also has a rather nebulous trace back to Hebrew.

Point is, there is no way to trace the name 'Andrew' back to its origin, as far as the use of 'Andrew' in the New Testament is concerned. I would say that this Topic is not going anywhere. :tu: Unless someone has an actual source that nobody else has found over the past centuries?

Karlis

The name "Andrew" is of Greek origin, *but* also has a rather nebulous trace back to Hebrew.

Point is, there is no way to trace the name 'Andrew' back to its origin, as far as the use of 'Andrew' in the New Testament is concerned. I would say that this Topic is not going anywhere. :tu: Unless someone has an actual source that nobody else has found over the past centuries?

Karlis

My purpose for starting this thread was to find out if anyone might know more about Andrew than I do (very little). This turned out not to be the case. Thanks for your interest nevertheless.

• 8 months later...

My purpose for starting this thread was to find out if anyone might know more about Andrew than I do (very little). This turned out not to be the case. Thanks for your interest nevertheless.

wooah, sorry I'm late

greek Andrew - meaning Man/Warrior

hebrew Gabriyel - meaning Man of god/Warrior of god

lose the God part (El), you can call him Gabe if you like

:tu:

• 6 years later...

I have heard that areas of the middle east that were Hellenized did adopt some Greek names and words, with some regions being a primarily Greek speaking culture, though rare. "Andreas" a Greek name, could very well have been his name.

We might be better able to determine whether "Andrew" had another name by examining his brother Shema'un( שמעון ). Lets examine scripture and see if we spot anything?:

Matthew 4:"18 And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.";

Mark 1:"16 Now as he walked by the sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and Andrew his brother casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.";

Luke 5:"And he entered into one of the ships, which was Simon's, and prayed him that he would thrust out a little from the land. And he sat down, and taught the people out of the ship.Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught.And Simon answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net.And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net brake.And they beckoned unto their partners, which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And they came, and filled both the ships, so that they began to sink.When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord.For he was astonished, and all that were with him, at the draught of the fishes which they had taken:10 And so was also James, and John, the sons of Zebedee, which were partners with Simon. And Jesus said unto Simon, Fear not; from henceforth thou shalt catch men.";

John 1:"42 And he brought him to Jesus. And when Jesus beheld him, he said, Thou art Simon the son of Jona: thou shalt be called Cephas, which is by interpretation, A stone.";

Shem Tob's Hebrew Matthew (may have been based off an older Hebrew Manuscript of Matthew): Matityahu 4:"18 Jesus went along the shore of the sea of Galilee and saw two brothers, Shimon, who is called Simon, also called Petros, and Andrea his brother casting their nets into the sea because they were fishermen." Hebrew:V18: ".וילך יש''ו על שפת הים הגליל וירא שני אחים שמעון שיקרא סימ''ון ונקרא פיימ''רוס ואנדיר''יאה אחיו שמליכים מכמרותיהם בים שהיו דייגים "<<< read

Let us use Knowledge along with our observation of Scripture to understand a possible name. The reason why "Petros" is important, rather is due to the fact that he is called a Greek name for "Rock", but he has a Hebrew name. Does Andrew have a hebrew name? It may be that Petros was an Aramaic name as well as a Greek name, and there are some who speculate this, however it seems clear that Yahushua named Shema'un the word Cephas (Aramaic word כיפא "Kepha"). Where as some argue that Shema'un was given the name Petros before meeting Yahushua, and then Yahushua gave him the name Kepha, I would rather believe Yahushua found a man named Shema'un, and then gave him the nickname Kepha, which is Cephas in Greek; because Kepha is the term for the Rock Mosheh struck, and can have the meaning in addition to stone as "lively Stone" or "Pearl". This shows that though "Petros" can be Aramaic in Origin, it is rather that Kepha is the word used which translates as Cephas in Greek. Even the modern meaning for "Kepha" in hebrew, strangely enough is considered the name for "Peter". In other words there are two different words referenced for rock, yet this does not help us find the name for Andrew. Though the Idea of an Aramaic word being a Greek word also, opens a door to the Name Andrew.

Andreas is the Greek ( Ανδρέας ). Phoenician Aramaic is what Eventually created the Crete and Greek Languages. Theoretically you could find an Aramaic root word, or Origin word of Andrew. After all if Kepha is also Cephas, and Petros/as is said to also be Aramaic words, then maybe we are on to something? The hebrew used in Matityahu for Andrew is "ואנדיריאה" which in english letters to convey, would be: And Andayraya'ah, or Andiria'ah, almost like Andrea. The word "Andreas" from the root "Andros ( ἀνδρός )" which means "manly, masculine". "Andreas" could mean "Man;Warrior" by extension in Greek? Is there an Aramaic word "Andrea", and would it's meaning be something masculine?

Hebrew Pictograms of this spelling are: A(ox)-n(seed)-d(door)-y(hand)-r(head)-y(hand)-a(ox)-h(man beholding): Ideoram possibility "Strong Child Moving working man strong arm"

Let us check Hebrew root words: http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/ahlb/aleph.html : the hebrew Root An= "Action: Produce Object: Produce, Ship Abstract: Where, Complain, Vigor, Nothing; a search for the purpose of producing something."; Dy="Action: Saturate Object: Ink Abstract: Sufficient Definition: Something that is completely filled."; Dar="Action: Dwell, Swell, Wide, Gallop, Enclose, Order Object: Circle, Robe, Dwelling, Row, Wall, Word Abstract: Honor, Idea, Order; A generation is one revolution of the family line.; This root can also have the meanings of circling around of something in a wide area or to cover a large area.; the back and forth movement of man"; Yah="Action: Throw Object: Hand Abstract: Praise; existing"; 'Ah="Action: Sigh Object: Hawk, Sigher Abstract: Desire, Where; a strong sigh".

A Nadyr Ya'ah means "Strong-rare-proper", or "Uncommon befitting Strength"?  Adyr means "Majestic, or Ship" according to Strong's Concordance, as we saw above also... I would say you have the ability to reconstruct the Phoenician name Andrea if one ever existed, but there is little evidence of finding such a word, other than the fact that it is a common name among West semetic such as Aramaic, Hebrew, and also the Grecian language, though this could be as result of early Hellenization. I am noticing there are meanings for strength. "Andros" is the supposed root to Andreas, and in hebrew: Drus="adj.trampled, trodden, run over"; Dras="verb.to trample, to squash", these both imply strength. An(vigor)-Dras(to squash), or An(Produce)-Drus(Trampled).

I am not sure where else to look. In Hebrew the closest thing to Andreas can be "Geber", and the closest thing to Andros can be "Gab". Aramaic is simply a branch off West Semetic, and is mostly similar to Hebrew, and this is why I keep checking Hebrew. 

I am not Trampling your Idea that Andrew had a Hebrew Name, maybe it was Geber (strong man), but it is likely that Andros was an original word in Greek, and that this word's cognate Andreas was largely spread to the East as result of Hellenization, and conquer over the nations. Perhaps Andreas was given that very name because he lived in a Hellenistic world? You decide. I am not confident I singled out, absolutely, the possibility of there not being a Semetic word similar to, or same as Andreas, nor have I absolutely singled out the possibility of there not being a Hebrew name that was translated to Greek. This time period was of chaos, which would be understandable to the confusion with this name. My hope is we all find out soon! I find it interesting that Greek primarily was formed by Phoenician Aramaic.

Edited by Blaye Otanka

• 3 months later...

Actually, there are ancient records that have been unearthed tht give us a very important link to this topic.

Josephus referred to some of these genealogical records and some of these records have been brought up from unbroken sealed urns off of the Nile delta where Alexandria was situated.

one of these urns had a scroll with the names of:

Shemaun bar Yona and his brother Geb(e)r bar Yona

Matityahu

Netinyahu

Yakub bar Zakariya and his brother Yona bar Zakariya

Put together with the fact that Yehoshua called Peter "Simon son of John" (Shemaun bar Yona) then these records refer to his brother as Geber (Strong Man), the equivalent of the Greek Andros or the English Andrew.

Therefore, it is possible that the original gospel of Matthew, which was written in Hebrew-Aramaic, referred to him as Geber as he was writing on behalf of his own people who had pride of their own language, but when the gospel was brought into the Greek canons the name Andros/Andrew was substituted, just as Petros/Peter was substituted for Cephas, on behalf of the Hellenic readers.