Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Russia: We will provide Syria with advanced

ExpandMyMind

Remark by Russia defense minster comes amid reports that Israeli officials, including PM Netanyahu and Defense Minister Barak, had reportedly warned arms could be used by Hezbollah.

Russia plans to go ahead with its sale of advance anti-ship rockets, state news agency RIA Novosti quoted Russian Defense Minster Anatoly Serdyukov as saying on Friday, despite recent attempts by U.S. and Israeli officials to thwart the planned deal.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Looks like others are also opting for their own 'deterrence policy'. Israel's notorious 'deterrence policy' is slightly more savage though - it involves leveling civilian centres and killing masses of civilians. (2006, 2008/9).

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Knight Of Shadows

• Pseudo Intellectual

• Abramelin

• The Silver Thong

Looks like others are also opting for their own 'deterrence policy'. Israel's notorious 'deterrence policy' is slightly more savage though - it involves leveling civilian centres and killing masses of civilians. (2006, 2008/9).

More savage than who? Both Syria and Russia have done their fair share of “leveling civilian centres and killing masses of civilians.”

More savage than who? Both Syria and Russia have done their fair share of “leveling civilian centres and killing masses of civilians.”

Their deterrence policy of targeting civilians and leveling infrastructure is more savage than Syria's deterrence policy of buying missiles so Israel don't do the same to them.

Do keep up..

Oh, I see in fact, it was another poor attempt to deflect criticism away from Israel.. righty-ho!

Edited by expandmymind

Well, it's not like Russia or Syria has had a clean human rights record. And it's not like anyone else in that region doesn't purposely target civilians. What's good for the goose is good for the gander in my opinion.

On the other hand, they are only anti-ship missiles. Syria is as likely to use them against Cyprus or Turkey as it is to use them against Israel. I think Israeli concerns are legitimate, as I think any country who is at odds with its neighbours would be concerned as well.

It may well be that this missiles deal has nothing to do with Israel at all. Russia is currently establishing a serious naval base in the Meds, and this base would be on Syrian soil - so maybe they are providing a warranty that Russian Navy would not be able to hurt the host country, and are arming Syria exactly with anti-ship missiles. It may be a form of a political collateral, while US is in opposition not because of Israel but because this naval base would compromise the security of EU...

Their deterrence policy of targeting civilians and leveling infrastructure is more savage than Syria's deterrence policy of buying missiles so Israel don't do the same to them.

Do keep up..

Oh, I see in fact, it was another poor attempt to deflect criticism away from Israel.. righty-ho!

I hope you are not forgetting about Syrian policy.

The reason no other Arab country accuses the Syrians of any attrocities is because Syria is 'only' surpressing it's own people... There are many Syrian refugees living in my country, but who knows about them, eh?

Israel is in the headlights because it surpresses Arabs in a country surrounded by Arab nations.

I hope you are not forgetting about Syrian policy.

The reason no other Arab country accuses the Syrians of any attrocities is because Syria is 'only' surpressing it's own people... There are many Syrian refugees living in my country, but who knows about them, eh?

Israel is in the headlights because it surpresses Arabs in a country surrounded by Arab nations.

ahhh give me a break ... those refuegees are there coz they're too lazy to work and coz

jobs are hard to find here ... not for surpression .. i live in syria .. you live in holland

so i guess we decide of we are surpressed or not ... not you

Well, it's not like Russia or Syria has had a clean human rights record. And it's not like anyone else in that region doesn't purposely target civilians. What's good for the goose is good for the gander in my opinion.

On the other hand, they are only anti-ship missiles. Syria is as likely to use them against Cyprus or Turkey as it is to use them against Israel. I think Israeli concerns are legitimate, as I think any country who is at odds with its neighbours would be concerned as well.

lol you have odd view of things ... don't ya ? :D

should i remind you it's israel occupied syrian lands ? or no you just close your eyes

and blindly side with israel and usa ... typical

and by the way syria + turkey are in friendly state can't see how we'll use missiles on them ... or wait ... just another words from you out of ignorant of the situation here yep

i suppose in your opinion israel is the one who have clean records eh ?? :P ?

filled with killing children and civilians another closed eyes on those facts ?

is all your posts are piles of nonsenses ? coz so far in every post i see you sided with one side and if it was based on fact i wouldn't even care but it's based on ignorant of facts geeeeee

ahhh give me a break ... those refuegees are there coz they're too lazy to work and coz

jobs are hard to find here ... not for surpression .. i live in syria .. you live in holland

so i guess we decide of we are surpressed or not ... not you

Heh, they are Christians with some 'unacceptable' political views.

You decide? Why should I believe YOU and not those refugees??

what ? you kidding me ? christians ?

if you don't already know syria is " Republic "

not " Islamic " country ... so there's no such thing as christians or muslims ..

there's only citizans ... if you get my meaning

and there's nothing makes any above other they are treated the same

and i don't ask you to believe me .. am just telling you not to tell me how " I " feel :P

since am in syria so i guess i can decide for my self .. thank you :lol:

like i said only thing here is financial problems that's why

people go to other countries .. due to lack of good jobs

say hello to them for me though .. i might know some of them :D

what ? you kidding me ? christians ?

if you don't already know syria is " Republic "

not " Islamic " country ... so there's no such thing as christians or muslims ..

there's only citizans ... if you get my meaning

and there's nothing makes any above other they are treated the same

and i don't ask you to believe me .. am just telling you not to tell me how " I " feel :P

since am in syria so i guess i can decide for my self .. thank you :lol:

like i said only thing here is financial problems that's why

people go to other countries .. due to lack of good jobs

say hello to them for me though .. i might know some of them :D

I was not telling you how to feel, I was just telling you why many Syrians are here.

I also told you that they had the wrong political ideas and opinions.

I guess those political ideas were the major reason they had to flee Syria."

Maybe I should ask you a question instead: can one freely criticize president Assad and his political party?

Edited by Abramelin

should i remind you it's israel occupied syrian lands ? or no you just close your eyes

and by the way syria + turkey are in friendly state can't see how we'll use missiles on them ... or wait ... just another words from you out of ignorant of the situation here yep

is all your posts are piles of nonsenses ? coz so far in every post i see you sided with one side and if it was based on fact i wouldn't even care but it's based on ignorant of facts geeeeee

you talking about those 5 square miles of the golan hieghts where your country used to direct missile fire from.

you talking about those 5 square miles of the golan hieghts where your country used to direct missile fire from because Israel were, in full view of the Syrians and the UN forces on the ground, populating the area (Syrian, but disputed by Israel) designated and agreed by both parties (an agreement which Israel broke) to be kept clear of all forces to keep the peace. This 'land grab' led directly to the Syrian attacks.

I've completed that for you. You're welcome.

thank you expand i was about to write down what you just did :lol:

it's ok to israel to take syrian lands and have full view of syria

but it's not ok to syria to defend it's land .. funny

and Abramelin may remind you that our president elected by his people

which means we agree to his stands and actions :tu:

you can criticize .. but you CANNOT form a group for that cause

that'll end with civil war and we don't want that

syria is one of the most safest countries .. can you criticize that ?

i guess not ... no crime rate ... no drug .. and you want us to criticize

our president ?? ! that's stupid

majority of syrian would die for the president ... his stands on face

of usa and israel is the only real person who stood against them

while they take arabic lands and do what they wish with other

arabic presidents cowered and remain silent

So you are telling me there is only ONE political party in Syria?

Because a 'group' willing to criticize the leading party would be a political opponent, and according to your reasoning that would cause a civil war...

I live in a free democracy with freedom of speech and opinion. You live in a repressive dictatorship. My comments are my own opinion and are regularly backed up with facts. Yours however, don't seem to have that sort of "flexibility". I respect the fact that we both come from sides of differing opinion but I, as with many other people, have to take your opinion with a grain of salt. I am not ignorant of facts and the general consensus in the west about what is happening in your area is generally accepted by the UN and a lot of other nations.

It pays to think before you post.

So you are telling me there is only ONE political party in Syria?

Because a 'group' willing to criticize the leading party would be a political opponent, and according to your reasoning that would cause a civil war...

you can criticize .. express .. you never seen some syrian comedian

series that does that ??

but forming groups for this cause will make us end up like lebanon

i bet that's what usa wants :lol:

civil wars will begin when two parties clashes eh .. you having hard

time following thoughts of what ... it can't be more simple

I live in a free democracy with freedom of speech and opinion. You live in a repressive dictatorship. My comments are my own opinion and are regularly backed up with facts. Yours however, don't seem to have that sort of "flexibility". I respect the fact that we both come from sides of differing opinion but I, as with many other people, have to take your opinion with a grain of salt. I am not ignorant of facts and the general consensus in the west about what is happening in your area is generally accepted by the UN and a lot of other nations.

It pays to think before you post.

ahhh please .. the only good thing you said in this meaningless post

is the last line .. which you really need to take that advice before

giving it to others :tu:

let me put your " facts and freedom and democracy " in words to make it clear

israel is justfied to kill and attack nations and take people's land

and buy weapons and and and

usa allowed to all above extra attack other nations and steal their oil and

and and and

syria has no right to defend it's land .. has no right to buy weapons

has no right to fight for it's occupied land is that your democrapy ?

give me a break min just think of what you typing before you do

and think how silly it sounds .. ya made me sleepy there this is boring

i can't believe how people think this way .. and still buy lies brought

to them by" perfectly fair and NOT ONE SIDED " media

:D

edit : enlighten me with single " fact " in your previous 2 posts ...

cause i could not locate any :tu:

Edited by Knight Of Shadows

It may well be that this missiles deal has nothing to do with Israel at all. Russia is currently establishing a serious naval base in the Meds, and this base would be on Syrian soil - so maybe they are providing a warranty that Russian Navy would not be able to hurt the host country, and are arming Syria exactly with anti-ship missiles. It may be a form of a political collateral, while US is in opposition not because of Israel but because this naval base would compromise the security of EU...

I agree. I mean, not that I think this IS WHAT they are doing, but I figure this is a well thought out idea of why it may be happening. I mean, I suppose I get why the US would protest it, but ultimately aren't we supposed to be "okay" with Russia? Given your theory on the matter, and thinking it's a pretty good one, I doubt Russia is going out of it's way to p!ss of the US. Possibly just doing what it needs to do to establish itself. Or something like that :)

lol, so lemme get this straight, he basically says there is only one party in Syria and any other party would lead to war..hmm that sounds familar, wonder which party would start it.

lol, so lemme get this straight, he basically says there is only one party in Syria and any other party would lead to war..hmm that sounds familar, wonder which party would start it.

I'm slightly confused too. Is he saying that by choice people only have one policial party to avoid political upset? So everyone just agrees (whether or not they actually agree) for the sake of keeping peace? (Or rather for the sake of not upsetting the political leader(s) in charge?) I mean, I guess I see something positive about that...or something...

...or not.

ahhh please .. the only good thing you said in this meaningless post

is the last line .. which you really need to take that advice before

giving it to others :tu:

let me put your " facts and freedom and democracy " in words to make it clear

israel is justfied to kill and attack nations and take people's land

and buy weapons and and and

usa allowed to all above extra attack other nations and steal their oil and

and and and

syria has no right to defend it's land .. has no right to buy weapons

has no right to fight for it's occupied land is that your democrapy ?

give me a break min just think of what you typing before you do

and think how silly it sounds .. ya made me sleepy there this is boring

i can't believe how people think this way .. and still buy lies brought

to them by" perfectly fair and NOT ONE SIDED " media

:D

edit : enlighten me with single " fact " in your previous 2 posts ...

cause i could not locate any :tu:

Syria has invaded before and killed innocent civilians. Syria has brought weapons before and continues to do so. Fact. I honestly don't think the media in Syria itself is what I, or anyone in a Western country would call "fair" or "balanced".

I could also say the same about your posts. Every single one is "everyone criticizes Arabs" or "everyone picks on Arabs". Do you have any idea why such criticism is given? It isn't because we are all anti-Arab or anti-Islam, I'm certainly not, by the way. It's because certain groups act in certain ways which we think are inhumane and unjust. I don't think all Arabs are evil, but you seem to have this notion that everyone here is against the Arabs. Which is unproven and most certainly untrue.

So opposition parties are banned under the claim that they would start civil wars. Is Syria unable to have a peace transfer of power between two sides?

There's a claim of no crime. Highly unlikely since every country has some form of crime.

And then the statement that most Syrians would die for the president. Smacks of a fanatical following that would keep him in power no matter what he did.

So yeah taken all together Syria seems to fulfill a lot of requirements for a dictatorship.

Anyway as for the OP it is a bit worrying given that Syria is a bit iffy with reports that they support terrorist groups, though hopefully they won't be stupid enough to hand these missiles out. Because if an Israeli ship gets hit with an advanced Russian missile they're going to come knocking.

you can criticize .. express .. you never seen some syrian comedian

series that does that ??

but forming groups for this cause will make us end up like lebanon

i bet that's what usa wants :lol:

civil wars will begin when two parties clashes eh .. you having hard

time following thoughts of what ... it can't be more simple

Many democratic countries have a multi-party system. According to you these countries all suffer from civilian war, right?

Two or more parties don't have to 'clash' at all, that only happenes when the leading party doesn't allow opposition, like in a dictatorship.

In a normal setting there is discussion between political parties, sometimes rather 'hot' discussions, true.

But that's it.

It's called freedom of speech.

And about Syrian comedy.... I will bet that it is nowhere near for instance Brittish or Dutch comedy. In these countries you can portray the leading party as utter idiots, and nothing will happen. No civil war, no arrests by the police, nothing.

Many democratic countries have a multi-party system. According to you these countries all suffer from civilian war, right?

What I think he's getting at is that when you only have one party, there is less chance of a colour revolution being enacted. Similar, but also different, to Syria's surrounding countries that use the dictatorship used to suppress their populations.

While one is obviously keeping their populations silent (surrounding countries) the other (Syria) is doing much of the same, but for a different reason - to keep outside influence out.

Looking at surrounding countries we can see why both tactics may be employed to the benefit of the different parties and their objectives.