Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tattooed woman 'told to put bag over head'

Still Waters

The point is, Hetro, he could have told the truth without insulting her.

I agree that folk need to be told the truth, but if I forget to sign a tax return form for example, I don't expect the tax office to send me the form back with a cover letter calling me an idiot. lol

Your probably right, but wouldn't it be more entertaining if the guy shouted from behind his desk "who's the ****** who filled this form in" on a more serious note when someone goes for an interview they need to show they've made an effort and the job comes first, if she took her piercing out and covered her tattoos and told the person interviewing her she had done so for the interview they could see she was willing to make small sacrifices and was serious about getting the job.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Commander CMG

• Eldorado

• Belial

• stevewinn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All I can say is - tattoos and body piercings seem to be here to stay. I notice more working people and customers with them. But still not in the most conservative corporate cultures and high-end stores.

Like I mentioned before, my last job didn't allow them to be visible during working hours. The job before that was more liberal with that. There were at least two co-workers with visible arm tattoos.

My understanding is that the tattoos are expensive. It would be interesting to know how much people spend on a full-arm tattoo.

Edited by little_dreamer

My understanding is that the tattoos are expensive. It would be interesting to know how much people spend on a full-arm tattoo.

I'm currently having a full sleeve done. My tattooist reckons it will take about 30hrs of work (in 2-3 hr sittings a fortnight apart) to complete.

So it entirely depends on the pricing of the tattooist, I estimate you could pay anything between £500 - £3000 over a period of several months.

Not peanuts, but probably favourable to the amount many people could possibly spend on drinking / eating out / smoking over the same time period.

I think tattoos are passe, even my mum has one now. If you really want to stand out (and I would really like to see this) you should have your skin embroidered! all the pain and needling of a tattoo with cool stuff dangling from your skin like a piercing. You could be like a team jacket, get the logo on your chest and your name on your arm.

Me I'm trying to look bada** by not having any distinguishing features, I'll be walking down the street someday soon and people will be whispering "check that guy out he has no tattoos or piercings, he mustn't want people to recognize him, that cat is up to no good."

I know this is a bit off topic but it made me smile...

The worst tattoo EVER: Man gets radio station logo inked across his forehead... after he's fooled by DJ's fake offer of cash

It is the mistake that he will see staring back at him from the mirror every single day for the rest of his life.

Meet David Jonathan Winkelman - a 48-year-old Iowa man who is bitterly regretting ever listening to radio station KORB.

That is what he was doing in 2000 when he heard a disc jockey offer listeners a six-figure payout if they tattooed the hard rock FM station's call letters and logo on their forehead

Link to story and mug shot.

He doesn't look like a man that could have been fooled easily.

Oh now come on! Surely there's someone out there that would hire someone that looks like she fell face first into the tacklebox. :P

I know this is a bit off topic but it made me smile...

The worst tattoo EVER: Man gets radio station logo inked across his forehead... after he's fooled by DJ's fake offer of cash

It is the mistake that he will see staring back at him from the mirror every single day for the rest of his life.

Meet David Jonathan Winkelman - a 48-year-old Iowa man who is bitterly regretting ever listening to radio station KORB.

That is what he was doing in 2000 when he heard a disc jockey offer listeners a six-figure payout if they tattooed the hard rock FM station's call letters and logo on their forehead

Link to story and mug shot.

I'm surprised he didn't sue. Yet another poor choice in tattoos.

We have a supply teacher at school in her 20's with all manner of facial piercings, and tattoos which are visible when she rolls her sleeves up (which she isn't supposed to do but hey - we're not that impressionable).

She isn't allowed to wear the metal, but she wears clear plastic thingumies (the name has escaped me, obviously) in them, and to be completely honest, that looks 10 times worse than the metal would. Makes you cringe.

Guy at the job centre behaved disgracefully, working the in job centre isn't exactly a huge step up from the woman, is it.

I'm surprised he didn't sue. Yet another poor choice in tattoos.

So I saw another article on the guy with the forehead tatoo of the radio station. I guess he did sue and lost. I also guess his step-son got the same tattoo. Not the sharpest crayon in the box.

Look around at younger people, at least where I'm from, multiple piercings and even facial tatoos are more and more common. Sure, you may never work in the coprorate sales office but this stuff will become more acceptable as time goes by. Of course it could be that living in the most progressive and liberal part of a very progressive and liberal city I have been desensitized. In Seattle you would be hard put to find anyone under the age of 30 without ink and piercings.

The looks pretty dumb. I wonder if the DJ said I'll give 100 grand to the first person that commits suicide this guy would have done it lol.

We have a supply teacher at school in her 20's with all manner of facial piercings, and tattoos which are visible when she rolls her sleeves up (which she isn't supposed to do but hey - we're not that impressionable).

That's how a man at my last job got around it. He always had to wear long sleeves to cover tattoos below the elbow. It worked out OK for him except in the long hot brutal summer weather.

So the face, neck and hands seem to be the most critical areas for tattoos.

That's how a man at my last job got around it. He always had to wear long sleeves to cover tattoos below the elbow. It worked out OK for him except in the long hot brutal summer weather.

Indeed - get them anywhere that will be covered by your day-to-day workwear. :lol:

I understand the employers position, but she was still discriminated and disrespected. I personally think people need to get over the whole tattoo and piercings thing. If you judge a person based on the way they look, it's no different different than judging someone based on religion, race, etc IMO, making you a crappy human being.

I don't judge people by their tatts, but where they choose to put them.

Hell, I have tatts. Because I work in a PROFESSIONAL environment, I have them is places that are covered by average every-day clothing.

If I ever go to the company pool party, people will be like...whoa! WTF!?

Bottom line...putting that stuff on your face is making a statement...you're LOOKING for a reaction...don't be surprised if it's a negative one. Duh.

The looks pretty dumb. I wonder if the DJ said I'll give 100 grand to the first person that commits suicide this guy would have done it lol.

:yes:

The guy at the jobcenter was totally out of line and doesnt deserve to keep his job. At the end of the day he is there to provide a service NOT to give fashion or cosmetic advice to anyone.

It should not matter (and i know it sometimes does) what someone looks like or wears when in the jobcenter its not like its imperative that you have to look your best when signing for your lastest giro is it? I'm sure the girl would have used her common if she had been offered an interview and dressed accordingly.For all those that think dressing differently makes you any less human look what happened to this girl in my home town..

http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/

body modification is not justification for mistreating someone or judging whether they are qualified for work. Women modify their appearance all the time and society approves of that! Unless she was applying for a job in modeling, world diplomacy etc where her appearance may cause undue friction these people were WAY out of line. You're supposed to hired for your abilities NOT your appearance!

Most tattooists will not even consider these areas if you go into their shop from the street. They will do them, but only to people they know, who understand the possible consequences.

For all those that think dressing differently makes you any less human look what happened to this girl in my home town..

http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/

RIP Sophie

Even though it is much more common to dress in an 'alternative' style than it was in my teenagers years, it unfortunately seems we will never be shut of idiots who feel it is perfectly fine to beat up a 'dirty mosher'.

My daughter is apprenticing at a tattoo shop now. She's a fantastic artist but she knows better than to cover her body with peircings and tattoos. She refuses to get any facial peircings. She does have an industrial bar on her ear which I think is actually pretty neat.

I told her long before she got into the apprentice position that I would be her test subject for her first tattoo. She sent me a txt yesterday telling me she's ready to tattoo me now and asked what I wanted. I'm going to have her extend my current tat on my upper left arm. It's a small treble clef. I want her to add staff lines around my arm and put the first phrase of Beethoven's Fur Elise on it.

She probably expected to be treated with respect, which is what civil-servants are paid to do, by us, the tax-payer.

It aint all illiterate scroungers that need to visit the Job Centre, Maca.

I totally agree with you.

I had to deal with the Job centre a while back, and I was treated like I was some kind of scum bag. I had to keep reminding myself that it was I that were paying their wages.

If I was an employer, I would higher someone based on their effectiveness and ability to do the job, and on nothing else. If others have problems with what other people chose to look like, they need to get a brain, and learn to care about the important issues. Small mindedness is a hindrance to humanity in my view.

Faeden

• 3 months later...
- Post removed for legal reasons -

If this is true, then she had no right to lie and cause someone else to probably lose their job. Don't get me wrong, I love tattoos and piercings myself. But to sit there and lie about something, that is wrong on so many levels. Tattoos is a form of expression and piercings are mostly eye candy for people to look at. Tattoos represent who you are and you can tell alot about someone from tattoos.

The only piercings I don't mind are on the ears, on the mouth or eyes is just silly, I don't understand it, why do you need to decorate your body in metal...

There are way more fashionable ways to do that... like wearing knightly armour or chainmail!

tatoos are just meh, but whenever I see them I usually think "smoker" or "biker" or "trying to be badass" they don't bother me as much though.

I think the guy did a good job

Seen the photo & i think they were just being honest & up front.

Whether the original story was a case of something being blown out of proportion for a bit of attention (which does happen, lol) or not - there were a lot of people in here asserting that people with piercings and tattoos wouldn't be able to get jobs.

Which is still utter poppycock.

I have several tattoos, two are only visible in shorts and sandals and one is only visible if I wear something with a low collar. I work in a professional environment but not with the public. They are an expression of who I am but I know better than to get one on my face!

On another note, my husband shaves his head because as he says a shaved head is the comb-over of the new millennium. About a year before he started working for the company he works for now it was against the dress code to have a bald head. It wasn't considered professional. Believe me, he looks more professional with a shaved head than with three sad little hairs growing out of the top of his head! :lol: