Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Einstein's theory of relativity works on a

Still Waters

There is only one element of special relativity that I'm not happy about and this is the question of reality in other words the earthly frame of reference. I am happy with every thing else. In the above sentence you agree that everything is in slow motion from an earthly frame of reference. You say everything inside the spaceships appears to behave normally. I say how, when our brains are wired to earthly criteria, possibly can we think we are behaving normally when, travelling at the near speed of light and our bodies are virtually pertified in time?

Because our brains are also "moving" in "slow motion" from the stationary frame of reference. It doesnt notice that its in "slow motion" relative to the other frame of reference.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• antonT

• questionmark

• sepulchrave

• Leonardo

To terminate my contribution to this thread I will refer back to the original post and gravity to which the same arguments would apply I suppose as I am told that velocity and gravity both affect time dialation in the same way.

I must say I am somewhat astonished to discover that Special Relativity relies on and predicts that in order to get younger one has to exist in slow motion. Surely this is like saying, if one does not die one will keep on living, isn't it? Quite amazing!

At the "virtual" but still slightly less speed of light every thing comes to a virtual standstill - lets say standstill for convenience. How would your observation work as even if we are asleep body metabolism etc continues at near normal pace. How would a human body cope with no blood circulation per se?

Wouldn't one die from the infection from the bacteria in one's gut for instance?

basically....no!!!!!.....5 people could eat food with the potential for a gut infection............only 1 may even get sick........it is not the same for all :)

To terminate my contribution to this thread I will refer back to the original post and gravity to which the same arguments would apply I suppose as I am told that velocity and gravity both affect time dialation in the same way.

You've misunderstood something then. Acceleration and gravity affect the passage of time the same way. Relative velocity affects the appearance of time dilation (from another reference frame).

I must say I am somewhat astonished to discover that Special Relativity relies on and predicts that in order to get younger one has to exist in slow motion. Surely this is like saying, if one does not die one will keep on living, isn't it? Quite amazing!

People can't get younger. They can only age at different rates.