Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oceans could contain 750,000 undiscovered

Still Waters

The world's oceans are teeming with far greater diversity of life than was previously thought, according to the first Census of Marine Life which has been 10 years in the making.

Giant sea spiders the size of dinner plates. Wriggly creatures nicknamed "Squidworms" because of their strange-looking tentacles.A blind lobster whose Latin name means "terrible claw".

These are among the new types of animal discovered in the most ambitious-ever survey of the world's oceans, which concludes tomorrow with the publication of the first Census of Marine Life.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• farandaway

• Automaton

• pallidin

I hope we get to see pictures of all these creatures... Nice, very impressive.

Here's what I found this morning. Slide Show

Fantastic!

Thank you! Some interesting looking creatures there :tu:

I've just found this too -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthpicturegalleries/8039965/Census-of-Marine-Life-pictures-of-new-ocean-species-discovered.html

Edited by Still Waters
Source link added

It's like a treasure trove of alien countenances out there, I haven't had this much fun exploring the internet in years!:D

Nat Geo had more: Nat Geo Link

Edited by farandaway

Wow, nice links! Amazing stuff.:tu: In the article though, I never saw any reason why they say there may be 750,000 new species. Is it just to make it a nice even (Dr. Evil) 1 MILLION species!? ... Or is it just a guess? Not that I necessarily agree or disagree, just wondering.

(Peacock Mantis Shrimp? Seriously? freakiest thing I've ever seen. Love it!)

mantis.jpg

(video of it under 'Indonesia' in Still Waters' first link)

Edited by Automaton

Wow, nice links! Amazing stuff.:tu: In the article though, I never saw any reason why they say there may be 750,000 new species. Is it just to make it a nice even (Dr. Evil) 1 MILLION species!? ... Or is it just a guess? Not that I necessarily agree or disagree, just wondering.

I think it's a guess. They seem to increase the estimate with each new species they find. Who knows, they might end up with 1 million yet B)

(Peacock Mantis Shrimp? Seriously? freakiest thing I've ever seen. Love it!)

mantis.jpg

(video of it under 'Indonesia' in Still Waters' first link)

Wow, somehow I missed this guy! :tsu:

Who needs SETI when we have the ocean? LOL

(Just kidding don't hurt me.)

Amazing...

Considering the fact that planet earth consists of approx. 71% ocean it is very good possible that there are millions of unknow creatures.

That's the beauty and diversity of this world...

Wow, somehow I missed this guy! :tsu:

Who needs SETI when we have the ocean? LOL

(Just kidding don't hurt me.)

No doubt, and how it looks isn't even half of what makes it so cool. B) (I've done some homework) This guy has the fastest limb movement of any creature anywhere. It has the hardest pound for pound 'punch' of any creature anywhere as well. It has two claws that in this guys case are actually clubs, which it uses to hammer on it's prey, which is often many times larger than itself. It hits with a force of up to 60kg, and it accelerates at the speed of a bullet (accelerates is a key word here). Needless to say it doesn't have a hard time smashing through shells. And that's only half of its one-two punch. Because of the speed of the 'punch' (underwater, mind you) it actually creates 'Cavitation' bubbles upon impact. These are basically extremely destructive (but short lived) sonic implosions. Another creature can actually fire these cavitation bubbles from its claw. The pistol shrimp. It shoots these little sonic booms at almost 100 km/h, to stun or kill prey, and in a split second they can reach nearly the temperature of the sun! No joke! Check out this video :

And here's a video of a Mantis Shrimp Vs a Pistol Shrimp:

These things are absolutely amazing, I never knew crustaceans could be so insanely cool. Another awesome thing about the Mantis Shrimp, is its eyes are one of the most advanced optical systems in all of nature, and technology together. It can see (I think, don't quote me) up to 12 times more of the light spectrum than humans, and many future High-def optical devices will use the Mantis Shrimps eyes as inspiration. Fascinating, my new favorite animal....:w00t: Edited by Automaton

Just amazing. I'm fascinated by these mysterious creatures of the deep, so thanks for posting this!

That's Great...Sure there are plenty of animals in Oceans... I use to wonder,if there is any big Monster bigger than the Blue Whale which is lying Deeper.