Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Blood's PhotoShop Fun

Blood Angel

happy.gif

In this thread i will show you step by step how my art comes together. First up is the sketch:

user posted image

Tomorrow i will post up the digital inked version, along with the sketch underneath to show you how close i kept to the sketch.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blood Angel

• hunterkiller2001

• snuffypuffer

• Scorpius

This should be cool original.gif

And dude, gotta love the witty dialogue tongue.gifwink2.gif

Interesting, sounds like the same process I did with my semi-abstract drawings in my thread.

By the way, what does it say on his gun?

o_o it syas smith and wesson. all the rest is just squiggles. I scanned it at 300 dpi (dots per inch) making it large enough to put in some extra detail, so i will replace the squiggle with actual text.

actually.. i did a simple little thing to it.. and it came out looking seriously sweet..

Kinda sad your in the UK man..

My company dosen't deal with artists outside US borders..

It's something i could almost swear a certain customer would buy crying.gif

Don't worry tongue.gif I don't jack artwork

post-68-1090743564.jpg

Once its finished i guarantee it will be ten times better. What company is it you work for? And more specifically what does the company do/trade?

Heres the gun, and face inked.

user posted image

Using 5px airbrush, round hard with 25% flow, inking. The whole gun took me at least a hour and a half. How did i get the lines so straight? easy, using the line tool. Theres around 20 layers(!) of line tool on the gun. As you can see i cropped the image to show off the gun, not the entire pic, which i assure you will remain intact. I scanned the sketch at 300dpi, and zoomed in at 300% to do this. This is all done by mouse, inking in its self is like redrawing the entire picture, not going over the lines like people with a tablet do.

Here i'm working on the forefinger, thats resting on the triggerguard of the pistol:

user posted image

As you can see the sketch is blue. I simply changed the layer colour properties of the sketch layer, to make it light blue. This makes it easier to see your lines when going over it in "ink". Notice the dots outlining the line. I use these dots as a guide to keep my ink line as steady as possible. The biggest problem with mouse inking, is shaky lines. Which is corrected at the last stage of inking.....

One of the biggest problems with using a round brush, is the round edges it gives:

user posted image

As you can see here, i have used the eraser tool, to taper off the edges. Making it look more sharp, and professional.

Inking all finished! happy.gif

user posted image

There it is with the sketch underneath. Now take away the sketch:

user posted image

hmm, it looks slightly weird doesn't it? The forefinger looks shorter, doesn't seem to fit? Well this is because the shading that the sketch had is now gone. The nest step is to colour it, giving the picture more depth. Which will be in the next post....

The whole inking took me 6 hours to complete.

Now for the colouring. The colour style i'm using is cel colouring (block colour, with shading and highlights), as apposed to soft cel colouring(more use of the airbrush, with multitoned coloring, etc etc). So first is the base colour:

user posted image

At the time i coloured this, i had already finished the complete gun, so it would have looked kinda odd. >_< i get to eager sometimes when colouring.

Then we add the shading:

user posted image

See how that short flat finger now becomes a "3d" proper looking finger? (note the base colour of the hair is brown, i later changed this to black, it seemed to suit the hero better.)

And now the Coloured product:

user posted image

Its all coloured, but it still feels unfinished. The hero, doesn't look angry enough, and theres no background or caption. SoOoOo....i added a real life photo of a mountain, played with the filters to make it fit in with the actual picture. Then with true anime tradition, i gave him anger blush, not to be confused with normal "ohmygodijustsawachicknaked" blush (which appears on the high cheeks only). And because we can't hear him threatening some dude thats opposite him, i added text. Now in anime ('cept for the real crap ones/old ones they use blank white) when its subtitled, its yellow with black outline to make it stand out on the screen (so it doesn't get confused with the main picture). So i added the text to give it that fresh straight from a film look:

user posted image

There we go all done...happy.gif' rather proud of this one.

And no stealing! (hence copyright)

To see the rest of my works click hither, including the full size version of this one.

very nice drawing. very well used dialog too. i tryed to draw like that once but it looked lik a blob eating harry potter. it was saposed to be a mouse eating chease. guess we just leave the drawing to the pros. devil.gif your guy looks more constipated than angry tho. disgust.gif thats angry

your guy looks more constipated than angry tho.

Umm right....moving on. Thanks for the comment...

Nice work BA, you should think about doing it for a living. thumbsup.gif

^^ thanks....but i know many more people that deserve a job more than me, in this field.

Once its finished i guarantee it will be ten times better. What company is it you work for? And more specifically what does the company do/trade?

I work for an advertising/multimedia company in NYC. We do magazine ads, CD booklets, pamphlets, commercials, DvD menus.. stuff like that.

I work for an advertising/multimedia company in NYC. We do magazine ads, CD booklets, pamphlets, commercials, DvD menus.. stuff like that.

Why do you only deal within the US borders, when media can be transported via the internet instantly?

Basically, the government offers our company tax cuts if they deal only with americans.. I'm assuming this is part of the "jump start the economy" plan our oh wise president ( whistling2.gif ) is trying to do.

We sell to foreigners all the time.. we just don't freelance thier artwork... which is BS, imho.. Since this policy kicked in a few months back, we've been so backed up because a lot of our freelancers worked in Canada, the UK, and germany.

But I'm telling you.. the neon glow image i posted would have fit perfectly into a CD book let we've been contracted to make.. It fits right into the specifications Virgin records provided us with.

American policy sucks sometimes crying.gif

Edited by hunterkiller2001

Virgin records....thats a british company. e_e; i'm so gutted...

Nice work BA! thumbsup.gif