Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A Haunting in Georgia

NirmalaMaya

I found this text that the woman saw in the newspaper about James S. Gordy. See James Scarabrough Gordy

James Scarbrough Gordy

Birth: Jun. 19, 1888

Death: Sep. 25, 1974

James Scarbrough Gordy, 86, of 1529 Hilton Ave. died Wednesday at St. Francis Hospital. A local real estate broker for 60 years, he was a former city commissioner.

Mr. Gordy was born June 19, 1888, in Cusseta, Ga., son of the late Dr. Francis Marion and Mrs. Mary Lane (Lowe) Gordy. He married Frances Josephine DeLoach on November 18, 1914.

He was an active member of St. Luke Methodist Church. He had served as Sunday school superintendent and a member of the official board of the Methodist Church in Ellerslie, Ga. For many years he was a member of the Columbus Chamber of Commerce and the Mt. Vernon Masonic Lodge.

Survivors include his wife, Mrs. Frances Gordy, Columbus; a son, Col. (ret.) Stephen Gordy, Fairfax, Va.; two daughters, Mrs. Henry McMurria, Bradenton, Fla., and Mrs. James C. Wroton, Hamlet, N.C.; a brother, Marion Gordy, Philadelphia, Pa.; seven grandchildren and one great grandchildren.

Burial::

Parkhill Cemetery

Columbus

Muscogee County

Georgia, USA

Plot: Chapel of the Pines Mausoleum; outer front; 2nd level, space 115

linked-image

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IdahoGhostHunter

• shady_freak99

• Angelblue

• tombstoner

First post.

I'm watching the program now. I currently live in AZ, but grew up in Columbus. I'd never heard of this case. I wasn't paying much attention until I heard the lady who sold the house to the sister mention Waverly Hall.

Does Heidi's family still reside in the area? Anyone know where in Waverly Hall the house is?

TIA

ETA....sorry yall. Was just able to read back, and my questions have been answered. I do need to find the book. Also wanted to say, when I watched the show it was very obvious that the cemetary was not Parkhill. No iron fences at Parkhill, and very few above ground grave markers......most are flush with the lawn. My Mom and Grandmother, as well as many other family members/friends are buried there.....if familiar with it, near the "Last Supper". Mom's service was also at Striffler-Hamby next door on Macon Rd. Grandmother's was actually in one of the mausoleums....most likely the one Mr. & Mrs. Gordy were layed to rest in.

The cemetary is actually "Linwood Cemetary" but not sure what section.......

That family came across very genuine to me, and personally think it's one of the best that "The haunting" has aired (next to "The haunting in Connecticut.")

God, how I love that show. True or not, I get a kick out of it.

God, how I love that show. True or not, I get a kick out of it.

• 6 months later...

Today I was watching A Haunting in Georgia, and I found it strange that the name Gordy was mentioned in Georgia.

Well, not strange, because Gordy's are everywhere in Georgia, but interesting because it's my grandmother's maiden name.

So interested, in fact, that I went and looked through the family history.

As it turns out,

I am very distantly related to the "protector" in this story.

Mr. James Scarbrough Gordy.

I like this, being related to a "ghost" business.

-LibbyLee

The HIG episode is about the only story that I find credible -- and I've seen nearly every episode. Like to know how the family is doing today. Interesting.

Most kindly,

Sean

The HIG episode is about the only story that I find credible -- and I've seen nearly every episode. Like to know how the family is doing today. Interesting.

Most kindly,

Sean

Here's a link for you Sean

The Veil Heidi Wyrick

Thanks Pythia! :)

• 2 weeks later...

This is my favorite "Haunting" episode! It seems to be the most real. I remember several years before the "Haunting in Georgia" episode, this family was on "Unsolved Mysteries". It was the same family, and Heidi was just a little girl. :wub:

Most kindly,

Sean

I also liked a haunting in connecticut

• 1 year later...

I just wanted to say that I have talked to Lisa Wyrick. Heidi still sees things till this day. They have not moved out of the home they are still there. According to Lisa things do not happen as much as they use too. But things to happen and said "It Scares me everytime cause you never know when to expect it".. Res Assured the family is doing very well. I have her E-mail. as well..

Thanks, Brandon

• 1 month later...

I read on another ghost forum that this show and the haunting series on the discovery channel was fake is there any thuth to this??