Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bush Admin knew in advance of 9/11 attack?

Karlis

Mounting evidence that BushCo knew well in advance that the 9/11 attack was being planned

After buying up the first 10,000 copies of his book, The D.I.A. recently demanded that all references to a meeting between Lt. Col. Tony Shaffer, the book's author, and the executive director of the 9/11 Commission, Philip Zelikow, be removed from the book. In that meeting, Col. Shaffer alleges that the head of the 9/11 Commission was told, well in advance of 9/11, about the identification of Mohammed Atta as a terrorist.

Source

EXCLUSIVE: Pentagon Attempts to Block Book on Afghan War

By Catherine Herridge

Published September 10, 2010 FoxNews.com

On the eve of Sept. 11, Fox News has learned the U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency has attempted to block a book about the tipping point in Afghanistan and a controversial pre-9/11 data mining project called "Able Danger."

In a letter obtained by Fox News, the DIA says national security could be breached if "Operation Dark Heart" is published in its current form. The agency also attempted to block key portions of the book that claim "Able Danger" successfully identified hijacker Mohammed Atta as a threat to the United States before the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

Click here to read the full DIA letter

In a highly unusual move, the Department of Defense is now negotiating with the publisher, St. Martin's Press, to buy all 10,000 copies of the first printing of the book to keep it off shelves -- even after the U.S. Army had cleared the book for release.

Specifically, the DIA wanted references to a meeting between Lt. Col. Tony Shaffer, the book's author, and the executive director of the 9/11 Commission, Philip Zelikow, removed. In that meeting, which took place in Afghanistan, Shaffer alleges the commission was told about "Able Danger" and the identification of Atta before the attacks. No mention of this was made in the final 9/11 report.

Shaffer, who was undercover at the time, said there was "stunned silence" at the meeting after he told the executive director of the commission and others that Atta was identified as early as 2000 by "Able Danger."

"Dr. Philip Zelikow approached me in the corner of the room. 'What you said today is very important. I need you to get in touch with me as soon as you return from your deployment here in Afghanistan'," Shaffer said.

Once back in the U.S., Shaffer says he contacted the commission. Without explanation, the commission was no longer interested. An inspector general report by the Department of Defense concluded there was no evidence to support the claims of Shaffer and others. But Fox News has obtained an unredacted copy of the IG report containing the names of witnesses, who backed up Shaffer's story when contacted for comment.

Atta was the alleged ringleader of the Sept. 11 hijackers and piloted American Airlines Flight 11 into the World Trade Center.

Shaffer spoke to Fox News before he was asked by the military not to discuss the book. He confirmed efforts to block the book and other details.

Calling the move "highly unusual," he explained that the book had already been cleared for release when the DIA stepped in.

"Apparently, Defense Intelligence Agency took exception to the way the Army cleared the book," he told Fox News.

The documents and exclusive interviews, including an Army data collector on the Able Danger Project, are part of an ongoing investigation by the documentary unit "Fox News Reporting" which uncovered new details about American cleric Anwar al-Awlaki and efforts by the FBI to track and recruit him for intelligence purposes after 9/11.

Click here for FOX NEWS video interview with author of book blocked by Pentagon

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pseudo Intellectual

• questionmark

• danielost

• The Silver Thong

The questions mount up. Did they decide to let him do somehting, not perhaps knowing that the plan actually consisted of, because that would provide the justification for their political and strategic aims? Or Was it just the good old one government department left hand not letting another government department right hand know what they were doing? If so, was this done deliberately, or was it just inefficiency? Or is Atta just a handy scapegoat, which would be why they were subsequently so keen to name him as the leader, to deflect attention from the real culprits?

The questions mount up. Did they decide to let him do somehting, not perhaps knowing that the plan actually consisted of, because that would provide the justification for their political and strategic aims? Or Was it just the good old one government department left hand not letting another government department right hand know what they were doing? If so, was this done deliberately, or was it just inefficiency? Or is Atta just a handy scapegoat, which would be why they were subsequently so keen to name him as the leader, to deflect attention from the real culprits?

Aye, it just leads to more questions like you say, 747400.

Admitting you made mistakes is not the forte of government officials, even for trivial matters.

Interesting development, though. Can see this running for some time.

Edited by Eldorado

I go with him not knowing via stupidity.

I go with him not knowing via stupidity.

Oh brother, not this again. And people laugh at the Flat Earth Society.

BTW-- Evidence of W's relatively high IQ includes his high SAT scores, and the fact that he was selected for and completed jet fighter pilot training (not something low brows are able to do). So all this "Bush is stupid" crap is really reflecting something else. Reflecting. His scores are above the median, meaning he is smarter-- maybe much smarter-- than the average person. Think about that when you thro out the dummy card.

Edited by venqax

Even "super-intelligent" people can make stupid mistakes, Venqax.

But, did GW actually receive the info he's being blamed of ignoring?

Edited by Eldorado

Even "super-intelligent" people can make stupid mistakes, Venqax.

But, did GW actually receive the info he's being blamed of ignoring?

I didn't say that anybody can't make mistakes. And I didn't say W was super-intelligent. ut that he is probably more intelligent than most of those who call him a dummy.

It is entirely possible-- maybe even probable-- that info re 9/11 was known far in advance and for various reasons was not sufficiently acted upon.

It is entirely impossible that the US govt was in any way "behind" or caused the attacks or that the Towers were "prewired" with demolition material, etc.

Edited by venqax

I didn't say that anybody can't make mistakes. And I didn't say W was super-intelligent. ut that he is probably more intelligent than most of those who call him a dummy.

True.

George: "If I knew about 9/11, I would have moved mountains."

He said that as his term was coming to an end. I don't remmeber what year though.

Nobody gets elected president AND gets his agenda passed without being somewhat intelligent. There is just too much to the job - if you don't know what you are doing you will be overwhelmed. That doesn't mean I agree with everything he did, but calling him dumb is ridiculous.

If one is born into power and money one doesn't need to be "smart" to succeed.

Hes a clever bugger ain't he.

post-49356-003535000 1286732035_thumb.jp

Yup General, everything looks good to me :lol:

I have no doubt that the US Government knew that terrorists were planning an attack on American soil. The question is how much of the facts were they aware of. Did they know the date, the time, the places or the means that they could have done something to prevent it or lessen the outcome? If they knew Atta was central to the planning, they would have known he was taking flying lessons as he did so in Florida if I recall correctly and the World Trade Center would have been a likely target since it had already been tried once before. We will never know the extent to which the Government was aware of 9/11 before it happened, but that doesn't implicate them in any plan to bring those buildings down themselves. It would have been easier to just stop planes from taking off that day. Increased security would have shown Atta getting on a plane that morning. I don't think they had enough surveillance on him to make a guess although they found the Walmart video from the store he visited in Maine on the night of 9/10 quickly.

Info:

Sept 10, 2001: A particularly urgent warning may have been received the night before the attacks, causing some top Pentagon brass to cancel a trip. “Why that same information was not available to the 266 people who died aboard the four hijacked commercial aircraft may become a hot topic on the Hill." [Newsweek, 9/13/01] "A group of top Pentagon officials suddenly canceled travel plans for the next morning, apparently because of security concerns." Newsweek, 9/24/01.

---------------

Sept 11, 2001: Recovery experts extract data from 32 WTC computer drives revealing a surge in financial transactions. Illegal transfers of over $100 million may have been made through some WTC computer systems immediately before and during the disaster. Reuters, 12/18/01, CNN, 12/20/01.

---------------

Sept 11, 2001: The entire continental United States is defended by only seven air bases and 14 military jets. CNN, 9/9/03, Newsday, 9/23/01.

Oh brother, not this again. And people laugh at the Flat Earth Society.

BTW-- Evidence of W's relatively high IQ includes his high SAT scores, and the fact that he was selected for and completed jet fighter pilot training (not something low brows are able to do). So all this "Bush is stupid" crap is really reflecting something else. Reflecting. His scores are above the median, meaning he is smarter-- maybe much smarter-- than the average person. Think about that when you thro out the dummy card.

Needn't necessarily be the stupidity of him personally. Governments and large organisations tend to be stupid, or at least inefficient, by their very nature, however many individually intelligent people there may be in them.

Found this video about Atta. I've always wondered why Maine. If he was known to Government officials, why wasn't he being monitered. Apparently not even his cell phone calls were as they found records of calls made to other terrorist in the plot after the attacks. I always wondered why he went to Maine, of all places, the day before 9/11.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14686192/

Hes a clever bugger ain't he.

post-49356-003535000 1286732035_thumb.jp

And here's Clinton doing the same thing, in the same place

clinton_binoculars.jpg

So they forgot to take the lens caps off, big deal. When you're a public person you will be photographed often enough that sometimes you'll be caught doing something embarrassing.

I have no doubt that the US Government knew that terrorists were planning an attack on American soil. The question is how much of the facts were they aware of. Did they know the date, the time, the places or the means that they could have done something to prevent it or lessen the outcome? If they knew Atta was central to the planning, they would have known he was taking flying lessons as he did so in Florida if I recall correctly and the World Trade Center would have been a likely target since it had already been tried once before. We will never know the extent to which the Government was aware of 9/11 before it happened, but that doesn't implicate them in any plan to bring those buildings down themselves. It would have been easier to just stop planes from taking off that day. Increased security would have shown Atta getting on a plane that morning. I don't think they had enough surveillance on him to make a guess although they found the Walmart video from the store he visited in Maine on the night of 9/10 quickly.

if they had had that info and only figuared it out on the day, including which planes. can you imagine what the press would have said.

if they had had that info and only figuared it out on the day, including which planes. can you imagine what the press would have said.

Yeah I can take a wild guess. These men carried nothing that could have been admissible as physical evidence, except I believe boxcutters. I don't recall hearing about knives and they didn't have guns. They and the planes would have been detained on the basis of intelligence, no crime committed. Without a confession there is no proof of intent, depending on what type of information had been gathered. The press would have had a field day. They did put all the pieces together in a day, unfortunately too late.

How'd I do?

Nobody gets elected president AND gets his agenda passed without being somewhat intelligent. There is just too much to the job - if you don't know what you are doing you will be overwhelmed. That doesn't mean I agree with everything he did, but calling him dumb is ridiculous.

I agree.

If one is born into power and money one doesn't need to be "smart" to succeed.

Being born into power and money doesn't get you an IQ of 125. Or get you flying F-102s. Not getting that does say something.

you know i heard about this info way back in 01, that info was there is going to be an attack in the usa sometime during 2001. and the hijackers were named and photos sent. but that left it up to the fbi to try and track these people down in a population of nearly 300 million.

this is old... and yes they knew about it because it wasnt even terrorist attack... bin laden was a cia tactician

and when he was most wanted by FBI the government knew where he was and he was on dialysis every 3 days... and when the hunt for bin laden was at its peak he had already been dead... also

History on cia and bin laden

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread319860/pg1

article on bin ladens death

http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/osama_dead.php

article on us and iraq connections during war between iran and iraq

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB82/

yes 9/11 was government orchestrated

by bush? no chance regardless of what someone aid in first post

bush is an idiot and no records show anything other than that

either that or his brain moves too fast for his mouth so he just sounds like a moron.

anyways

has anyone noticed that 9 years later our troops are still out there?

has nobody noticed that the war on terrorism isnt a war on terrorism just a invasion from US to afghanistan

its simply that for the oil...

article on the pipelines in afghanistan

http://www.commondreams.org/views01/1208-04.htm

for anyone who believes that the government wont lie to its people to get what they want and to make it seem justifiable

move somewhere else than the US. because truth is that the US has done it multiple times for different reasons

look at the faqs and remember that the government officials here are just people in it for themselves like everyone else in this country

Being born into power and money doesn't get you an IQ of 125. Or get you flying F-102s. Not getting that does say something.

bush's iq is not 125 that was just estimated along with all presidents from 1900's

second of all that was done on basicaly just history

bush is an idiot and if your somebody you can get into a fighter jet with no problem rob dyrdek did the same thing are you gona say he is a genius no..

i do believe he is much smarter than bush...alot more creative if anything

from the studies you saw on his iq was guess from his SAT scores

and if his recorded IQ is 129 he is still the dumbest president in 50 years