Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Updated] UFO sighted over New York City

Saru

Submitted by Stance:

A mystery shiny object hovering high over Manhattan caused consternation for New Yorkers today.

The West Side sighting set off a flurry of reports and wild speculation Wednesday that a UFO was flying over the city.

arrow3.gifRead more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVM1uwiKCu8

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• archernyc

• Space Commander Travis

• mcrom901

• Coffey

And I ain't too surprised.

This is the Daily Telegraph, Australian version, I see, which from what I've heard, seems to be a little more, um, excitable than its British namesake. So how many pictures did people get of this? There must surely have been loads. Pictures, videos. I wait excitedly to see some more of them.

*waits patiently*

And I ain't too surprised.

This is the Daily Telegraph, Australian version, I see, which from what I've heard, seems to be a little more, um, excitable than its British namesake. So how many pictures did people get of this? There must surely have been loads. Pictures, videos. I wait excitedly to see some more of them.

There's some good stuff about the sightings on this thread here....

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190363&st=120

You oughta merge these, Saru.

This is good stuff but spread over different threads.

Edited by Eldorado

Well, sorry to say, I was there and I did not video it because I thought it was far too high for my phone's camera to pick it up as a white dot against the blue sky.

What's really weird for me is that I just happened to be out on an errand - if I hadn't gone outside when I did, I would have totally missed it!

Also, like some other posters have said about their experiences, it was almost like the thing wanted to be seen!

I was actually looking at contrails (couldn't actually see what was creating the contrails as it was too high up) when I noticed a white dot that was somewhat stationary, then started bouncing around a bit. I might not have even noticed it if it hadn't started bouncing around. I actually stopped on Fifth Avenue to watch it for a while (after moving out of the way).

Funny enough, just a few minutes before, I had noticed a crowd of people at the intersection of Fifth Ave and 23rd Street looking up, but thought they were just a group of tourists gawking at the Flatiron Building.

Someone else posted nighttime photos over on the "Prediction" thread, but I live in Queens so I didn't see the nighttime ones.

Honestly never thought I would have a daytime sighting!

Well, sorry to say, I was there and I did not video it because I thought it was far too high for my phone's camera to pick it up as a white dot against the blue sky.

What's really weird for me is that I just happened to be out on an errand - if I hadn't gone outside when I did, I would have totally missed it!

Also, like some other posters have said about their experiences, it was almost like the thing wanted to be seen!

I was actually looking at contrails (couldn't actually see what was creating the contrails as it was too high up) when I noticed a white dot that was somewhat stationary, then started bouncing around a bit. I might not have even noticed it if it hadn't started bouncing around. I actually stopped on Fifth Avenue to watch it for a while (after moving out of the way).

Funny enough, just a few minutes before, I had noticed a crowd of people at the intersection of Fifth Ave and 23rd Street looking up, but thought they were just a group of tourists gawking at the Flatiron Building.

Someone else posted nighttime photos over on the "Prediction" thread, but I live in Queens so I didn't see the nighttime ones.

Honestly never thought I would have a daytime sighting!

Just goes to show you, we always need to be prepared. Did you feel like it interacted with you? I would have probably not taken my eyes off the sky for the rest of the night if it was me :D

they are helium baloons...right or was that guy from norad right?

Damn, im upset i missed this...i was gonna go to Manhattan, but changed my mind. Im from Brooklyn, and always wondered bout how i never hear reports of anyone seeing a Ufo in NY

There's some good stuff about the sightings on this thread here....

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190363&st=120

You oughta merge these, Saru.

This is good stuff but spread over different threads.

I think this deserves its own thread, its not clear from the title of the predictions thread that it is discussing the New York sightings in particular - both are unique topics in their own right. The predictions thread will likely expand to cover details of any sightings occuring within the next month or so.

they are helium baloons...right or was that guy from norad right?

Lanterns. :yes:

Just goes to show you, we always need to be prepared. Did you feel like it interacted with you? I would have probably not taken my eyes off the sky for the rest of the night if it was me :D

I wouldn't say that it "interacted" but it definitely seemed to want attention. Unfortunately, I had a meeting so I was only able to watch it for about five minutes before I had to go upstairs. I was looking around last night to no avail.

I did mention my sighting to someone else in my office (it was practically right over our building) and she said that she and her boyfriend were on their roof and had sighted something Sunday evening at dusk in the direction of Yankee Stadium. They saw it, discussed it and then dismissed it as impossible.

The Norad guy who wrote that book must be jumping for joy right now with an actual newsworthy sighting in downtown New York just like he predicted, although only over one major city. I am usually skeptical but I have never actually seen a prediction like this come true :blink: . If he is correct we should start seeing them more and more correct? Maybe this is how it will start, and eventually contact :w00t: ! But the odds are I'm just letting my imagination get the best of me...

I have everyone in my office talking about this now and several other people have stepped forward to say that they have seen some odd things lately (a lot of people have rooftop access) that they just dismissed and are now beginning to wonder.

It's definitely odd.

I think we are all slowly becoming either more accepting of the possibility, or conditioned to it in a way.

Some people would not even consider it because there were no other planets outside of our lone solar system. I bet half of them do not even keep up with the news on the new discoveries in space.

On another note, the Americans orbiting rocket is missing again, so its orbit has changed. Would it in any way be able to be mistaken for a UFO. Technically it would be a UFO, just to those who do not know what it is.

It baffles me how no one in N.Y has either a camera with decent telephoto lens or a telescope or even a pair of binoculars capable of zooming in on whatever this object was. It could have been the most significant discovery in the history of man and we just dont seem to take things like this serious. Why is that ? Souldn't the American government sent up some planes ? Checked it out ? Or do they already know what it was ?

It baffles me how no one in N.Y has either a camera with decent telephoto lens or a telescope or even a pair of binoculars capable of zooming in on whatever this object was. It could have been the most significant discovery in the history of man and we just dont seem to take things like this serious. Why is that ? Souldn't the American government sent up some planes ? Checked it out ? Or do they already know what it was ?

If the stories are correct that the guy from NORAD knew it was going to happen, I'm pretty sure the government would know too.

But I agree that you'd like to think someone would have a decent camera somewhere in NY and might have seen it.

On another note, the Americans orbiting rocket is missing again,

love that word 'missing' ^_^

well... apparently, an entire chinese village has disappeared after a ufo sighting.... :wacko:

As for this being on the news, why didn't someone jump in chopper 5 and fly close to it and get some pics? Or like others have said, just use a damn telescope/binoculars/telephoto lens?

The lack of anyone even trying to get a closer look makes me think they knew it was nothing spectacular.

Edited by Moonie2012

What you said!!:huh:

It will probably turn out to be some kind of automobile ad campaign!:whistle:(Although I hope not!)

BTW I did not see that anyone in NYC was panicked!

Edited by farandaway

Panicked? C'mon, we're NYers, it takes more than that to panic us after 9/11. Also, we're really busy. I would have watched longer, but I had a meeting to get to unfortunately.

The Huffington Post has a New York page and here's their story. Note the comments section with eyewitness accounts: Here's a couple, just to whet your appetite:

I was there. It was very unsettling to watch. There's no rational explanation to that spectacle in the sky. They stood together, in the same relative position to each other - you could call it a formation - and in the same spot in the sky, with very minimal movement for a long time. Small bright perfectly formed dots, against a perfectly blue sky. Surreal. Much too far, too bright and too stationary to be balloons, though I'm open to that explanation if someone can prove it to me. What I saw was unnerving - still is. There were two crowds of people, one watching a formation visible to the East and another crowd the formation to the West. I did not see the one to the West, because the Eastern one was enough. It took a while for the eye to focus on the dots. They were so far away. The one to the East had 5 objects in it. All stayed put with very little movement for about 20 minutes or so except that at one point, three of them formed a perfect triangle, the fourth one moved a bit to the upper tip of the triangle and the fifth one moved farther away to the right. Then they kept that position for a while. It got to be disconcerting. I have no rational explanation and was hoping the news would post something logical about military exercises, etc. No luck!

The above person was at 23rd Street and 8th Avenue...I was at 20th Street and Fifth Ave (distances between Avenues = 3 regular city blocks, so almost a mile away)

I stood and watched them for about 40 minutes moving into formations backwards and forwards in the sky. The strangest thing that happened in that time, that I haven't seen anyone yet report was the appearance of a triangle shaped fighter jet, which raced across the sky and seemed to circle near them 4 or 5 times before seemingly disappearing into thin air! It was without doubt the strangest thing ive ever seen in my life. Anybody else see it? A few people stood with me on the corner of 23rd and 8th Ave saw it as well. 2 questions... 1. Why would the Air Force scramble a fighter jet to check out balloons and 2. How and why did the said jet vanish into thin air in a clear blue sky?

I did not see the jet - that would have totally freaked me out. Too much like the current tv program, The Event.

I actually heard people on the street this morning, talking about their sightings yesterday. A lot of people in my area walking around looking at the sky (normally, this is a pastime for tourists).

Edited by archernyc

Most of the news sights I've seen carrying this story have been full of ridicule, but not one of them has offered an explanation, so far! ;)

There was suprisingly little from the NY media. 1010 WINS, a local radio station, had a report this morning and said that there were 10 UFOs in all over NYC.

Edited to add, for the people that are questioning why there aren't more videos, or eyewitness, just consider that in my office of 50 people - I was the only one that saw this thing and the one other person that might have seen it (he was on a bus at 23rd & 8th) saw people pointing at the sky and talking to a tv reporter, but could not see what they were looking at from his position on the bus.

Edited by archernyc

Why hasn't the media contacted the military yet to get information. Or is the Military/government etc trying to think up an explanation lol. Swamp gas above new york lol.

I was always wondering if the orbs could really be probes, they could be controlled remotely or depending on the tech one could imagine an AI capable of following directives.

They really could be from any hypothesis, government run, ET run and so on. It would be smarter to have several nights of increasing orb action before any actual craft would appear. It would possibly make the transition of the idea easier.

It would also give the planet itself time to organize their forces together tho. Could make them feel more secure as well, who knows.

With just a massive fleet of large craft moving in position over the major cities of the world at the exact time, would seem to me like a Shock and Awe move, panic would erupt out of confusion and terror.

Not that I am sure of those orbs being anything like this, its just a random idea. :D