Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black Power activist to sell Olympic gold

conspiracybeliever

SAN JOSE, Calif. — Tommie Smith is selling the gold medal he won at the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City, where his Black Power salute on the podium shocked the sports world.

The former San Jose State runner has put his gold medal for the 200 meters and red-and-white Puma spikes up for auction at New York-based M.I.T. Memorabilia.The bidding starts at $250,000, and the sale is scheduled to close November 4.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sage0409

• The Silver Thong

• Sir Wearer of Hats

• Doc Socks Junior

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He should have had the medal stripped from him five seconds after he pulled that disrespectful stunt.

He should have had the medal stripped from him five seconds after he pulled that disrespectful stunt.

I thought it was a strong statement. That's my opinion.

I thought it was a strong statement. That's my opinion.

You don't have to qualify it.....

It was a strong statement, and I'm glad to live in a country that would allow someone to make such a statement AND not be punished. Free speech is important, regardless of what some believe.

He was protesting the inhumane treatment of minorities in America, nothing disrespectful about that. But no! We just silence all those who challenge the status quo!

You don't have to qualify it.....

It was a strong statement, and I'm glad to live in a country that would allow someone to make such a statement AND not be punished. Free speech is important, regardless of what some believe.

Thank you :tu:

Track athletes = awesome people. His actions just hold that out. Good for him.

only if we strip the medals from everyone who praises God for their victories (because if God is helping them, they're cheating ;) )

only if we strip the medals from everyone who praises God for their victories (because if God is helping them, they're cheating ;) )

Classic :tu: