Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
conspiracybeliever

Black Power activist to sell Olympic gold

conspiracybeliever
SAN JOSE, Calif. — Tommie Smith is selling the gold medal he won at the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City, where his Black Power salute on the podium shocked the sports world.

The former San Jose State runner has put his gold medal for the 200 meters and red-and-white Puma spikes up for auction at New York-based M.I.T. Memorabilia.The bidding starts at $250,000, and the sale is scheduled to close November 4.

arrow3.gifRead more...

ohio traveler

He should have had the medal stripped from him five seconds after he pulled that disrespectful stunt.

sage0409

He should have had the medal stripped from him five seconds after he pulled that disrespectful stunt.

I thought it was a strong statement. That's my opinion.

supervike

I thought it was a strong statement. That's my opinion.

You don't have to qualify it.....

It was a strong statement, and I'm glad to live in a country that would allow someone to make such a statement AND not be punished. Free speech is important, regardless of what some believe.

fireIIC

He was protesting the inhumane treatment of minorities in America, nothing disrespectful about that. But no! We just silence all those who challenge the status quo!

sage0409

You don't have to qualify it.....

It was a strong statement, and I'm glad to live in a country that would allow someone to make such a statement AND not be punished. Free speech is important, regardless of what some believe.

Thank you :tu:

Doc Socks Junior

Track athletes = awesome people. His actions just hold that out. Good for him.

Sir Wearer of Hats

only if we strip the medals from everyone who praises God for their victories (because if God is helping them, they're cheating ;) )

The Silver Thong

only if we strip the medals from everyone who praises God for their victories (because if God is helping them, they're cheating ;) )

Classic :tu: