Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My Experience With Electro Convulsive Therapy

H.H. Holmes

Hello,

I have not been around for about eight days because I was unvoluntarily committed to a psychiatric hospital. I was, at first, angry and resentful for being forced into treatment, but I have met alot of interesting people that will always be in my heart. I was recommended to start ECT treatment at the hospital, which is one of the only hospitals that perform the treatment in Indiana. I have had three treatments, so far. After the third treatment I noticed a marked improvement in my mood and a drastic decrease in my depression. I thought it would be a painful procedure, but you are given anesthesia and a muscle relaxant before they even begin the electric shock that causes a ninety second grandma seizure. Afterwards, I experience a horrible headache, but I get an analgesic for it, such as Darvacet. The only other side effect is temporary short-term memory loss; however, I have not experienced any noticeable memory impairment.

What do you all think about the treatment, which is about 70 percent effective in cases of major depressive disorder? It was a last resort treatment for me, since I have tried almost every type of antidepressant there is, except MAOI's because they are the last, last resort for anybody.

Edited by H.H. Holmes

Thanks JVE,

I have been through alot these past eight days, but I am glad that I got the treatment that I needed. I met many people who were going through the same type of troubles that have plagued my life. Young or old, there is always something to be learned from another person and sharing with a group helped me get out so many of my pented up feelings.

I hope these subsequent ECT's don't impair my short-term memory too much, since I use it often when responding to topics and researching. Forgive me if I am not up to par these next few days.

Edited by H.H. Holmes

Hello,

I have not been around for about eight days because I was unvoluntarily committed to a psychiatric hospital. I was, at first, angry and resentful for being forced into treatment, but I have met alot of interesting people that will always be in my heart. I was recommended to start ECT treatment at the hospital, which is one of the only hospitals that perform the treatment in Indiana. I have had three treatments, so far. After the third treatment I noticed a marked improvement in my mood and a drastic decrease in my depression. I thought it would be a painful procedure, but you are given anesthesia and a muscle relaxant before they even begin the electric shock that causes a ninety second grandma seizure. Afterwards, I experience a horrible headache, but I get an analgesic for it, such as Darvacet. The only other side effect is temporary short-term memory loss; however, I have not experienced any noticeable memory impairment.

What do you all think about the treatment, which is about 70 percent effective in cases of major depressive disorder? It was a last resort treatment for me, since I have tried almost every type of antidepressant there is, except MAOI's because they are the last, last resort for anybody.

I am glad you are back and doing better. ECT has come a very long way from what it once was; I think that based on the results it is getting in so many people it is a good option. I have a family member who has pretty severe medically resistant depression, and they had been considering ECT. On the advice of a psychologist, they got a hold of a medication that is in europe right now(and in trials here in the US), it is similar to how SSRI's work, but instead of working on serotonin or Dopamin, it deals with melatonin. It is called Valdoxan. It was created in order to help medication resistant depression, and has an incredible succcess rate, and the side effects are minimal. They have to order it from a UK pharmacy, but it is inexpensive and they have had better success with it than on any other(or combination of meds). You would have to speak to your own doctor, but it is something that few doctors here are familiar with so you may need to print out some info from the valdoxan website and send it to your doctor and get feedback.

I know that dealing with depression can be really difficult, so please take care of yourself and work with your doctors...best wishes to you...

Shame none of the medications on the market for depression must not have proved to work in your case. In most cases ECT is reserved for pts. who do not respond to any meds. and are considered a danger to themselves or to others, at least so goes the standard of treatment and practice in North Carolina.ECT does work, history has proven that and aside from memory loss, it is quick and effective.The convulsions that used to take place and break bones have now been addressed and the pts. are not conscious during the process and are returned to their rooms, slightly groggy and confused but with no long term ill effects, just based on what I observed while employed a state psychiatric hospital.The "unvoluntary" term is more legally cited as "involuntary", generally referring to a person committed by the court to said facility for evaluation and treatment, based on the pts. behavior and a decision by two psychiatrist that the pt. presented a danger to themselves or to the community. So how you were behaving got you there, if the same rules hold true there that rule the mental health system here. Most "committed' pts. are there for 90 days and may be discharged to the community or recommitted for a time to be decided by the attending pychiatrist.Best of luck on a fast recovery and hopefuuly the "illness" can be treated on an out-patient basis.

Good to see you around again. :)

As for the treatment, you can't really argue with 70%. It may not work for some people, but if it works for others then I think it should be used. Hope it continues to help.

My grandmother had it done back when it was primitive, also non-voluntary, at a mental hospital here in Oklahoma that no longer exists but maintains a reputation. It is my understanding she was also given projects like knitting or something and actually was able to go home and did fine for a few weeks and was significantly changed, but I think her environment and people around her and a history of mental illness was her problem, as she eventually got worse again - her problem was also not depression but "crazy", psychotic episodes of stabbing people with forks, religious and paranoid delusions and such, and I think if you have that particular inclination in your personality (living through WWII and being raised in an ultra-religious family etc), I think that introduces a wholly different set of variables than people who are having a more treatable situation like yours likely and hopefully is. Glad you're doing better.

Edited by Paranormalcy

My grandmother had it done back when it was primitive, also non-voluntary, at a mental hospital here in Oklahoma that no longer exists but maintains a reputation. It is my understanding she was also given projects like knitting or something and actually was able to go home and did fine for a few weeks and was significantly changed, but I think her environment and people around her and a history of mental illness was her problem, as she eventually got worse again - her problem was also not depression but "crazy", psychotic episodes of stabbing people with forks, religious and paranoid delusions and such, and I think if you have that particular inclination in your personality (living through WWII and being raised in an ultra-religious family etc), I think that introduces a wholly different set of variables than people who are having a more treatable situation like yours likely and hopefully is. Glad you're doing better.

Holy hell your poor grandma :(:cry:

Hello,

What caused the depression or has it crept on over a long time?

I think lessons in managing yourself mentally are more effective than drugs or Electro-shocks. However sometimes some people are so far down in the abyss its difficult for them to change their mentality.

During your period of negativity did everything in the world seem to go against you?

Has there been a change in how reality has unfolded for you since your depression improved?

Basically I'm asking if you think negativity/positivity has a placebo effect on reality.

Edited by Power Lust

What caused the depression or has it crept on over a long time?

I think lessons in managing yourself mentally are more effective than drugs or Electro-shocks. However sometimes some people are so far down in the abyss its difficult for them to change their mentality.

During your period of negativity did everything in the world seem to go against you?

Has there been a change in how reality has unfolded for you since your depression improved?

Basically I'm asking if you think negativity/positivity has a placebo effect on reality.

The depression has been long and chronic, since the age of about ten years old. I know how much positive thinking can impact a person's view of life, so I am going into intensive out-patient treatment to learn some skills in that department. I am not just relying on electro-shock and medications to improve my depression because I know they are only a part of the treatment regime. It's just that when a person gets into a depression their thoughts naturally become negative and vice-versa. The treatments are really only to increase my mood so positive thinking can become more natural and less difficult for me. So I am getting all the types of treatment necessary to combat my condition.

• 7 years later...

So H.H. Holmes. How did everything turn out for you? I'm on meds for depression. But I just hate the way they make me feel. I feel like a human guinea pig. "Oh, that didn't work for you? Let's try this pill for a month" and the same thing next month.

13 minutes ago, Pirate Girl said:

So H.H. Holmes. How did everything turn out for you? I'm on meds for depression. But I just hate the way they make me feel. I feel like a human guinea pig. "Oh, that didn't work for you? Let's try this pill for a month" and the same thing next month.

Hello and welcome to UM, Pirate Girl!  I've been here since 2011 and have benefitted from continuing to "try out" different meds until I finally found one that works quite well.  Don't give up!  Depression nearly killed me when I stopped trying and taking the meds.  

Just a note - this thread was begun in 2010 and most of the respondents are no longer actively posting.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2010 at 11:01 PM, H.H. Holmes said:

The depression has been long and chronic, since the age of about ten years old. I know how much positive thinking can impact a person's view of life, so I am going into intensive out-patient treatment to learn some skills in that department. I am not just relying on electro-shock and medications to improve my depression because I know they are only a part of the treatment regime. It's just that when a person gets into a depression their thoughts naturally become negative and vice-versa. The treatments are really only to increase my mood so positive thinking can become more natural and less difficult for me. So I am getting all the types of treatment necessary to combat my condition.

The only thing that's helping my depression is remedying those things which cause it. Mine's 75% situational. 

Back in 2000, psychiatric medications weren't working for me, as I was dealing with terrible and severe depression.

Since the meds weren't helping me, I agreed with the psychiatrist working for me that I needed ECT treatments.

The one side effect I had from it is that I don't remember much from the later part of 2000 and early 2001.

Unfortunately, the ECT treatments didn't work for me.  However, after stopping the ECT treatments, the psychiatrist put me on meds that finally worked for me, until I started having problems again years later.