Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant Pterosaurs Could Fly 10,000 Miles

Still Waters

Large pterosaurs may have been the frequent-flier champions of the dinosaur age, capable of soaring up to 10,000 miles (16,000 kilometers) at a stretch, scientists say (explore a prehistoric time line).

Currently paleontologists know of four species of giant pterosaur, some of which were as tall as giraffes and had wingspans of more than 30 feet (10 meters).

The huge animals likely relied on updrafts of warm air and wind currents to achieve their record distances, said study co-author Michael Habib, a paleontologist at Chatham University in Pittsburgh.

"They probably only flapped for a few minutes at a time ... and then their muscles had to recover," he said. "In between, they're going to use unpowered flight" and glide.

Even so, the winged reptiles would have needed to burn about 160 pounds (72 kilograms) worth of fat reserves per trip, Habib said.

"They're basically burning off the equivalent of a good-size human on each trip."

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Myles

• Still Waters

• cRodz42

• tipotep

Top Posters In This Topic

I really dislike stories like this. There is not any real evidence that they flew 10,000 miles in one stretch.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive remember, Once i read from somewhere... that Pterosaurs would have travelled around the world.Then after some day i read that they are somewhat heavy and can't fly to longer distances. Hmm...I believe they could be the only flying animals to fly longer distances.May be they have travelled around the world.

With a 10m wing span you dont have to flap a lot... Just here and there and let the wind carry you. Who knows maybe they *did* cover such distances...