Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Homer Simpson 'is a true Catholic'

Still Waters

He is an idle, pea-brained glutton with a permanent craving for doughnuts and Duff beer, but Homer Simpson has been declared a true Catholic by the Vatican's official newspaper.

The long-running cartoon series explores issues such as family, community, education and religion in a way that few other popular television programmes can match, according to L'Osservatore Romano, the Vatican's daily broadsheet.

The newspaper acknowledged that Homer snores through the sermons of the Reverend Lovejoy and inflicts "never-ending humiliation" on his evangelical neighbour, Ned Flanders.

But in an article headlined "Homer and Bart are Catholics", the newspaper said: "The Simpsons are among the few TV programmes for children in which Christian faith, religion, and questions about God are recurrent themes."

The family "recites prayers before meals and, in their own peculiar way, believes in the life thereafter".

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• danielost

• Valtigashi

• shaka5

I suppose this is an attempt by the church to try and stay 'hip'?

But, Homer does not attend a Catholic church.

Homer could be any christian religion, and like most church goers I know, his peity only last as long as the service does.

I suppose this is an attempt by the church to try and stay 'hip'?

Homer could be any christian religion, and like most church goers I know, his peity only last as long as the service does.

I wonder how the church accounts for Lisa Simpson, isn't she an Atheist or Buddhist?

I wonder how the church accounts for Lisa Simpson, isn't she an Atheist or Buddhist?

well since the buddhists dont believe in a god they're about the samething arent they.

as for homer i thought he was baptist, that is when he isnt starting his own church.

Edited by danielost

I think I might become a catholic if Homer becomes the patron saint of drunks and slobs :lol: Really though do you want Homer to be the man to draw in kids.

-Trix

Edited by apriltricks

Only for one episode.. the one where Laim Neeson is the priest LOL.. that was a good episode...Marge freaking out - I did not put diapers on Bart for years to have him grow as a Catholic LOl

Buddhist.. yes.. when she met Richard Gear...she then became a Buddhist

However her views on creationism are like your own along with many of us here... in an episode she tries to get her school to teach evolution lol

that was a good episode...Marge freaking out - I did not put diapers on Bart for years to have him grow as a Catholic LOl

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Buddhist.. yes.. when she met Richard Gear...she then became a Buddhist

However her views on creationism are like your own along with many of us here... in an episode she tries to get her school to teach evolution lol

Ah thanks sis, I knew she wasn't Christian.

well since the buddhists dont believe in a god they're about the samething arent they.

as for homer i thought he was baptist, that is when he isnt starting his own church.

Indeed it could be seen as the same thing Daniel.

Ah thanks sis, I knew she wasn't Christian.

She did start out as christian...but being the free thinker and smart she turned away lol...:ph34r:

She did start out as christian...but being the free thinker and smart she turned away lol...:ph34r:

sorry bart is as smart as she is, he just doesnt show it what with being abused all the time. or doesnt choking count as being abused.

this article, imo, isn't about the church trying to look "hip". It's basically a message to all Catholics, telling them that they're as bad as Homer Simpson. They claim to be Catholic, but have no real drive to live like one. It's a preachy article.

From what I know they are supposed to be Presbyterian

Yes it's Reverend Lovejoy, not Father Lovejoy. Reverend Lovejoy is married has a daughter, so defiantly not a Catholic priest.

Peter Griffin Catholic I think, if you don't take into account "The Church of the Fonz" he created and the time he turned Jewish.

Or maybe that's just his dad Francis Griffin who's Catholic.

sorry bart is as smart as she is, he just doesnt show it what with being abused all the time. or doesnt choking count as being abused.

What?? why have you went on about abuse?/ I never mentioned abuse....eh???

Remember in the movie when he said this

47383_1611284964629_1311393481_1646882_6448803_n.jpg

oh, dont forget about this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP4NxwOeeAU

Ha ha nice one - Homer proves that god doesn't exist... Ned see's it and ohhhh can't let this little doosey get out !!!:lol:

How about his famous one liners on religion....

You know, the one with all the well-meaning rules that don't work in real life -- uh, Christianity.

You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.

Oh, everything's too damned expensive these days. This bible cost 15 bucks! And talk about a preachy book! Everybody's a sinner! Except this guy.

Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder!! :lol:

Homer:- Is it true you priest guys can't ever... you know? ........Father Sean:- I'll admit the vow of celibacy is one of our sterner challenges....... Homer: - Celibacy I was talking about the meat on Friday thing. Man you guys got more crazy rules than Blockbuster Video.:rofl:

Ha ha nice one - Homer proves that god doesn't exist... Ned see's it and ohhhh can't let this little doosey get out !!!:lol:

How about his famous one liners on religion....

You know, the one with all the well-meaning rules that don't work in real life -- uh, Christianity.

You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.

Oh, everything's too damned expensive these days. This bible cost 15 bucks! And talk about a preachy book! Everybody's a sinner! Except this guy.

Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder!! :lol:

Homer:- Is it true you priest guys can't ever... you know? ........Father Sean:- I'll admit the vow of celibacy is one of our sterner challenges....... Homer: - Celibacy I was talking about the meat on Friday thing. Man you guys got more crazy rules than Blockbuster Video.:rofl:

hahahahahaha...all classics. can't forget when he says "Help me Jebus", lmao

LOL..the Vatican got sucked in by only listening to what they want to hear (a common error). Anyone who actually watches the Simpsons knows that the essential message is anti-religion. The catholic episode was just to highlight the contraditions in christianity and in all religions.

I especially liked the part where the priest (Liam) blew off Lisa and her "imaginary" friend (Buddha)....uhhhhhh didn't these vatican guys get the implicit irony in this message??? I mean, if Buddhism is imaginary, what about all the other religions out there.......

hahahahahaha...all classics. can't forget when he says "Help me Jebus", lmao

"Lord , I'm not normally a praying man but if you are out there Superman..please help me" !! LOL

LOL..the Vatican got sucked in by only listening to what they want to hear (a common error). Anyone who actually watches the Simpsons knows that the essential message is anti-religion. The catholic episode was just to highlight the contraditions in christianity and in all religions.

I especially liked the part where the priest (Liam) blew off Lisa and her "imaginary" friend (Buddha)....uhhhhhh didn't these vatican guys get the implicit irony in this message??? I mean, if Buddhism is imaginary, what about all the other religions out there.......

are you sure youve watched the simpsons? that is not the essential message at all. the simpsons is not a preachy show like that

Anyone who actually watches the Simpsons knows that the essential message is anti-religion.

No its not, its is just a show that takes a pop at LOTS of things and religion is just a easy target for some petty amusing Jokes. It is not a anti religious show.

LOL..the Vatican got sucked in by only listening to what they want to hear (a common error). Anyone who actually watches the Simpsons knows that the essential message is anti-religion.

Anti religion my foot... it will take the mickey out of everything.. even politics...celebs.. you name it...

I can see it now.... they will add Homer into sainthood. :innocent: