Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Blotting Out Sun May Soon Be Banned

Still Waters

Blotting out the sun has been the dream of many arch-villains, including The Simpson's Mr Burns. Their schemes may soon be foiled by the United Nations' Convention on Biological Diversity.

Super villains aren't the only ones who want to shade the Earth from the sun. Blocking some of the sun's rays could slow climate change by reducing the amount of sunlight warming the Earth, say some researchers, such as Roger Angel of the University of Arizona.

The Convention may consider banning or limiting research into space sunshades. Some question their wisdom. A space sunshade would have a rapid effect on global warming and provide time to develop more permanent measures, they say. The technique has already received serious attention from NASA and other organizations.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chaoszerg

• Wickian

• danielost

• Still Waters

Top Posters In This Topic

The convention is a joke.

Even if the sun shades acted as just a bandage it would buy us valuable time for us to try and get our act together.

And what happens when the sunshades instead let the wealthy business interests (and short-range-thinking general population) keep pumping out more and more CO2 without detriment, and then some natural disaster or economic collapse or what have you prevents us from repairing/maintaining the shield? All it does is mask the real problem with an unstable fix.

And what happens when the sunshades instead let the wealthy business interests (and short-range-thinking general population) keep pumping out more and more CO2 without detriment, and then some natural disaster or economic collapse or what have you prevents us from repairing/maintaining the shield? All it does is mask the real problem with an unstable fix.

Exactly :tu:

Magic bullets anyone.

Br Cornelius

Even if that is a possible risk, I honestly believe that this conventions fear is more similar to the LHC fear with doomsday nonsense.

I do think BOTH should be cracked down on. I think research into the shields should still go ahead and be used, and at the same time crack down on the co2 emissions. I know the shields are a temporary fix I am not saying they are not, but they are still a band aid for a problem while we work on correcting the serious problem.

Our arrows will..

300 reference for the win! In the end, all our major problems are attributable to Human Nature. We are what we are, so either Nature made a big ****ing mistake, or we serve a purpose. Mistake/accident go hand in hand, if you think there's no underlying control of nature. If you want any fix to work, first solve the underlying problem: our nature.