Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Young People Abandoning Organized Religion

THE MATRIX

A lot of youngsters abandon religion it’s not a surprise by any means

Take the catholic church for example... I recall being sent each week...I along with many of kids my age had to sit amongst the adults and listen to a priests sermon.... it bored the life out of us.....for when the priest preached from the bible...we didn’t understand it like the adults...that’s why we saw it as boring....

Unlike my own child...she gets to attend a Sunday school...she is taught the bible at a kids level...made it fun for her too..that is why she likes it

The catholic church had not time for kids to be honest ...kids had to sit and try and understand a sermon that all adults fully understood....

So so many drifted from the church....

I was raised in a household that was very biased against Catholics.

The only good thing I can say about them, once having purged the conditioning of my parents, is that they do indeed have a female deity. The Catholics don't call her a deity but they pray to her like she is one. At least there is a touch of the feminine in that part of Christianity.

I think the Catholic church is running into some money troubles. And I don't feel a bit sorry for them.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• regeneratia

• markdohle

• Beckys_Mom

• Pseudo Intellectual

Thank you for posting this article. The founding fathers of America were pretty adamant on the seperation of church and state. What led to the mixing of the two in the 1970's?

You can trace it back earlier to the '50s and McCarthyism, s'when we adopted "In God we Trust" and "One Nation Under God", to separate ourselves from those godless Communists.

You can trace it back earlier to the '50s and McCarthyism, s'when we adopted "In God we Trust" and "One Nation Under God", to separate ourselves from those godless Communists.

Just last night, I spent an hour praying that the soul McCarthy continue to be punished in the afterlife for what he did, to make any of his efforts to recompense particularly dark, difficult and ominous for him.

Needless to say, I did pray for his soul. LOL.

I think being godless is better than worshiping a jealous, vengeful, war-like god.

I prefer to worship goddesses, got a couple of icons of them in my own home.

I think being godless is better than worshiping a jealous, vengeful, war-like god.

I prefer to worship goddesses, got a couple of icons of them in my own home.

Heh, I prefer to give my faith to science and my fellows, and I have many icons and books dedicated towards it. :)

(That wasn't a gab at you, just a statement, everyone's welcome to their own beliefs, me with mine, you with your's.)

Finally leaving behind those imaginary friends.

:sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy: how pretencious, typical and expected.

:sleepy: :sleepy: :sleepy: how pretencious, typical and expected.

And yours was.....?

:lol:

Nice try doug. Anyways, i was stating the obvious, and my joy for those people :)

I was raised in a household that was very biased against Catholics.

The only good thing I can say about them, once having purged the conditioning of my parents, is that they do indeed have a female deity. The Catholics don't call her a deity but they pray to her like she is one. At least there is a touch of the feminine in that part of Christianity.

I think the Catholic church is running into some money troubles. And I don't feel a bit sorry for them.

No catholics do not see her like they would god or jesus.... I know this being raised as one..... They see her as a link to Jesus... they are thankful for her... they feel that she is a direct link to their saviour....the mother of their god...as they believe she was chosen by the heavenly father to give birth to jesus...so that tells them she was close to god....they pray to her out of respect thinking she is a direct link to her son Jesus

People can slam Catholics all they like...but if the Catholic Church had not of put your bible together in the 1st place... you wouldnt have a religion to follow...well not christianity anyway.... they kicked it all off and it was known as Christianity.... then long after that came protestants...........

Either way...Catholic or protestant... it doesn't make a difference... they all follow the same god...and all think jesus is god...and they all believe in the holy bible

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Heh, I prefer to give my faith to science and my fellows, and I have many icons and books dedicated towards it. :)

(That wasn't a gab at you, just a statement, everyone's welcome to their own beliefs, me with mine, you with your's.)

I like science too. And it can sometimes be just as dogmatic as a religion.

No catholics do not see her like they would god or jesus.... I know this being raised as one..... They see her as a link to Jesus... they are thankful for her... they feel that she is a direct link to their saviour....the mother of their god...as they believe she was chosen by the heavenly father to give birth to jesus...so that tells them she was close to god....they pray to her out of respect thinking she is a direct link to her son Jesus

People can slam Catholics all they like...but if the Catholic Church had not of put your bible together in the 1st place... you wouldnt have a religion to follow...well not christianity anyway.... they kicked it all off and it was known as Christianity.... then long after that came protestants...........

Either way...Catholic or protestant... it doesn't make a difference... they all follow the same god...and all think jesus is god...and they all believe in the holy bible

Unless Jesus was gay (if he existed at all, if he was really just one person and not three), I think there always has to be a feminine side spiritually represented to off-set the imbalance of just idolizing men and male spiritual qualities. I am sorry, but I don't get men half the time. The last thing I want to do is spiritually worship men only. It isn't that it cannot be done. It is that I WILL NOT (!) do it.

Look how it is to just play around with the historical aspects to the name they gave him:

" Spelling counts: Orthodoxy and orthography in early Christianity

An essay by William Shandruk from the University of Chicago examines the ways in which Christ and Christian are spelled in Greek papyri. Chrestos, which was pronounced the same way as Christos, was a common slave name meaning “good” or “useful.” Confused by this, representatives of the Roman government often misspelled Christ’s name “Chrestos” instead of “Christos” meaning “anointed” or “messiah.” They also called the early followers of Christ “Chrestianoi” rather than “Christianoi.” The early Christians themselves went with the Romans here and often spelled their own name “Chrestianoi,” but they stuck to the correct spelling “Christos” for Christ's name."

http://www.uc.edu/news/NR.aspx?id=12285

(I always try and let you view the link because I don't just go to random sites unseen, not much anyway!)

Then think about what else was manipulated and twisted and adjusted and altered by the early church to give followers of Jesus just the right view of him, as perception control measure.

Edited by regeneratia

Unless Jesus was gay (if he existed at all, if he was really just one person and not three), I think there always has to be a feminine side spiritually represented to off-set the imbalance of just idolizing men and male spiritual qualities. I am sorry, but I don't get men half the time. The last thing I want to do is spiritually worship men only. It isn't that it cannot be done. It is that I WILL NOT (!) do it.

Look how it is to just play around with the historical aspects to the name they gave him:

" Spelling counts: Orthodoxy and orthography in early Christianity

An essay by William Shandruk from the University of Chicago examines the ways in which Christ and Christian are spelled in Greek papyri. Chrestos, which was pronounced the same way as Christos, was a common slave name meaning “good” or “useful.” Confused by this, representatives of the Roman government often misspelled Christ’s name “Chrestos” instead of “Christos” meaning “anointed” or “messiah.” They also called the early followers of Christ “Chrestianoi” rather than “Christianoi.” The early Christians themselves went with the Romans here and often spelled their own name “Chrestianoi,” but they stuck to the correct spelling “Christos” for Christ's name."

http://www.uc.edu/ne...R.aspx?id=12285

(I always try and let you view the link because I don't just go to random sites unseen, not much anyway!)

Then think about what else was manipulated and twisted and adjusted and altered by the early church to give followers of Jesus just the right view of him, as perception control measure.

Some people view god as female....some say it is not female...for no female in her right mind would mess things up like that LOL

It must be the “rebel” thing. I'm sure they'll grow out of irreligion as they get older.

I am as pretty sure it is not going to happen as you are sure it is.

No free man wants to be manipulated by the church.

Again dear, it is the Religious rite that chased these kids from the pews in the first place, along with a very large population of adults!

And then there is silly trend to sings songs off an overhead projector, rather than teach people to read music and to handle the hymnals.

Some churches have become pretty empty places, of people and of soul, and loss of real music. I don't know about you, but I get goosebumps when I go to my hometown church and sing from the hymnals, harmonize with my mother's voice, and listen to the joy in my grandmother's warble. Old church songs give me goosebumps. No song on a overhead projector has ever done that for me. I cannot immerse into the soul of the song without the musical symbols.

I will not sing from words on an overhead projector!! That is just simply stupid and a dumbing-down of people's spirituality. Music has beautiful symbols, and those symbols can lift your soul to heights few modern ministers can take you, their skewed Religious Rite logic and political rants diminishing the entire soul of the church.

I am just letting you know, when I go to church, it is to see the one-and-only trusted minister. If he is not there that day, I leave most times. If I feel that can stay a different minister, then I do. But if he offends me in any way, while sermonizing, I get up and walk out. I will not linger there because it is polite. I will not hand money over after a sermon I do not like. There is only one trusted minister for me, and he is 300 miles from my present home.

And I am 50 years old. Rebelling is a grand thing!!! I wish all children, all teens to rebel.

Edited by regeneratia

I am as pretty sure it is not going to happen as you are sure it is.

No free man wants to be manipulated by the church.

Again dear, it is the Religious rite that chased them from the pews in the first place.

And then there is silly trend to sings song off an overhead projector, rather than teach people to read music and to handle the hymns.

Some churches have become pretty empty places, of people and of soul.

I will not sing from words on an overhead projector!! That is just simply stupid and a dumbing-down of people's spirituality. Music has beautiful symbols, and those symbols can lift your soul to heights few modern ministers, with their skewed political logical and religious rite rants, can take you..

I'm just saying I don't think these young people know what they're getting into. They're not true irreligious people. I think it's simply a phase, a “rebellion” thing, perhaps to seem “cool” because being irreligious is the popular thing nowadays among young people. Kind of like liberalism; young people are liberal, but as they get older they get more conservative.

Some people view god as female....some say it is not female...for no female in her right mind would mess things up like that LOL

I think that the all comprehensive thing that really cannot be named is in the merging of male and female, in the neutered area, in that very point of meeting of two opposites.

I'm just saying I don't think these young people know what they're getting into. They're not true irreligious people. I think it's simply a phase, a “rebellion” thing, perhaps to seem “cool” because being irreligious is the popular thing nowadays among young people. Kind of like liberalism; young people are liberal, but as they get older they get more conservative.

I think you don't know what you are into. Are you even aware there are more writings on Jesus other than the bible? If you are so hungry for Jesus, why are you not consuming all there is to know of him? NAG HAMMADI LIBRARY: http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/nhl.html

Most fundementalist churches are not only not cool. They are also political and deceptive. Jesus was liberal. His teachings are liberal. He is all about love and understanding and acceptance and joy and compassion. You just do not see those grand and liberal qualities in the Religious Rite. They are more about who the hey rules your own uterus.

As I get older, I get more liberal. I was once GOP and loved it at one time. Now I feel betrayed by it, since the Religious Rite morphed a 180 degree position from where it once stood, where it was Ike's GOP.

Edited by regeneratia

I think you don't know what you are into. Are you even aware there are more writings on Jesus other than the bible? If you are so hungry for Jesus, why are you not consuming all there is to know of him? NAG HAMMADI LIBRARY: http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/nhl.html

Most fundementalist churches are not only not cool. They are also political and deceptive. Jesus was liberal. His teachings are liberal. He is all about love and understanding and acceptance and joy and compassion. You just do not see those grand and liberal qualities in the Religious Rite. They are more about who the hey rules your own uterus.

As I get older, I get more liberal. I was once GOP and loved it at one time. Now I feel betrayed by it, since the Religious Rite morphed a 180 degree position from where it once stood, where it was Ike's GOP.

People often confuse me for a Christian despite the fact that I've never pretended to be one. Is it because some irreligious people are so hateful and bigoted that they believe everyone who doesn't share their inane beliefs about Christianity is some sort of fundamentalist Christian?

People often confuse me for a Christian despite the fact that I've never pretended to be one. Is it because some irreligious people are so hateful and bigoted that they believe everyone who doesn't share their inane beliefs about Christianity is some sort of fundamentalist Christian?

I don't think that. I think there are some good churches out there. One of them has brought Elaine Pagels to my neck of the woods, where I was allowed to listen to her speak twice. And if I were to attend church, that is the church I would go to. Because it is liberal christianity and it is warm and caring. And there are hymnals in the pews.

It's probably because Christianity is associated with conservatives.