Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] The Wendigo

TheVeryFirstDinosaur

Defiantly one of my favorite cryptic creatures. Algonquians believed one turned into a Wendigo after performing acts of cannibalism.

"The Wendigo was gaunt to the point of emaciation, its desiccated skin pulled tautly over its bones. With its bones pushing out against its skin, its complexion the ash gray of death, and its eyes pushed back deep into their sockets, the Wendigo looked like a gaunt skeleton recently disinterred from the grave. What lips it had were tattered and bloody [....] Unclean and suffering from suppurations of the flesh, the Weendigo gave off a strange and eerie odor of decay and decomposition, of death and corruption."

Also, I love the ways it is portrayed by different artists.

Hah.."The Thing", anyone?

The deer-like variations really creep me out.

Really creative imagery, even though I'm sure I read somewhere that the Wendigo was actually some sort of whispy spirit, according to the actual believe legends of the Algonquian culture.

Damn, those are quite the pictures. I don't know too much about the subject but I do recall the first time I heard about it, it was one of the spirit versions as opposed to some frightening creature. I have heard about "wendigo psychosis" a few times though.

Also, your display pic made me giggle when I saw it. :P

I've always liked Wendigos, in Stephen King's book Pet Semetary, the Wendigo was a feature to the story, one of the reasons why the Pet Semetary was evil, because of the evil it brought to the local natives. The Wendigo in the book is described as goliath & is heard once in the woods, but never seen. That's probably my favorite written story of the Wendigo.

I've heard the reverse of the story you told, that the Wendigo turns you into a cannibal, rather than you turn into a Wendigo if you engaged in cannibalism. But I like the idea of being turned into one better.

The deer-like pic up there, that's my favorite. Creeps me out too. :unsure:

I've always liked Wendigos, in Stephen King's book Pet Semetary, the Wendigo was a feature to the story, one of the reasons why the Pet Semetary was evil, because of the evil it brought to the local natives. The Wendigo in the book is described as goliath & is heard once in the woods, but never seen. That's probably my favorite written story of the Wendigo.

Huh, interesting. I read Stephen King a lot, but I never read Pet Semetary. I have no idea why, though.

First time I heard of The Wendigo was from the "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" series, even though it hardly resembled the actual legend. In the short story "The Wendigo", some creature/spirit calls a Native's name out several times in the wind, lures him out of his tent, grabs him, and drags him across the ground until he is nothing but ashes.

Wow, I miss those books..

I've never heard of a Wendigo before. It seems amazing.

I really love the first artists picture, and I totally agree.

The deer version is creepy :( I'm not going out in the woods at night now.

I wonder, are there any sightings of the Wendigo? Specific place?

More along the lines of "Plush" and "Adorable" : )

directed at Eldorado

Edited by New Ares

I've never heard of a Wendigo before. It seems amazing.

I really love the first artists picture, and I totally agree.

The deer version is creepy :( I'm not going out in the woods at night now.

I wonder, are there any sightings of the Wendigo? Specific place?

There's supposedly several sighting a year in Minnesota.

Huh, interesting. I read Stephen King a lot, but I never read Pet Semetary. I have no idea why, though.

If you (or anyone) has ever seen the movie, it's no where near as good as the book. Most of the movies based on Stephen King's books were dumbed down & explanations for why the things that were happening were happening was changed or omitted.

From what I remember, the Wendigo was not mentioned in the movie (I think).

More along the lines of "Plush" and "Adorable" : )

directed at Eldorado

I know, but I had to pretend it scared me. :D

(sitting here with my 4yr old nephew)

Edited by Eldorado

If you (or anyone) has ever seen the movie, it's no where near as good as the book. Most of the movies based on Stephen King's books were dumbed down & explanations for why the things that were happening were happening was changed or omitted.

From what I remember, the Wendigo was not mentioned in the movie (I think).

This is too true. Except "The Mist". The movie followed the book almost directly, give or take a few minor details, and the ending.

the black and white one would make a nice Tat thumbsup.gif

the black and white one would make a nice Tat thumbsup.gif

I agree.

First time I heard of The Wendigo was from the "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" series, even though it hardly resembled the actual legend. In the short story "The Wendigo", some creature/spirit calls a Native's name out several times in the wind, lures him out of his tent, grabs him, and drags him across the ground until he is nothing but ashes.

Wow, I miss those books..

Ha, oh man, I remember that now. Those books were awesome.

There's supposedly several sighting a year in Minnesota.

I decided to see if there were any sightings around where I live. I couldn't find specific towns but there are apparently some in Wisconsin, which makes sense since Ojibwe and other tribes were here.

i once read a story about one in a scary stories book as a kid, it involved a native to the mountain and a investigator. they got caught in a storm and the native travel guide heard the winds calling his name outside the tent, it drove him so mad he got up and ran into the blizzard. all the other guy heard was he screaming "o gawd o gawd my feet there on fire!" when he investigated after the storm all he saw was his bloody footprints going until they looked as if he was dragged and pulled up into the sky.

same thing?

i once read a story about one in a scary stories book as a kid, it involved a native to the mountain and a investigator. they got caught in a storm and the native travel guide heard the winds calling his name outside the tent, it drove him so mad he got up and ran into the blizzard. all the other guy heard was he screaming "o gawd o gawd my feet there on fire!" when he investigated after the storm all he saw was his bloody footprints going until they looked as if he was dragged and pulled up into the sky.

same thing?

Yes, same story.

I liked the movie Ravenous and its take on the Wendigo.

I also really like the Wendigo legend and idea for some reason and did some research on it, and it even has some really outlandish superstitions, including it becoming invisible when it turns sideways (can't remember where I read that). I even wrote a fantasy horror scenario for an RPG (this one is geared to Warhammer FRP 2nd Edition), which some people thought was really good. For anyone interested, it can be found here: Winter's Cold Heart. I really didn't do the creature justice but it was an attempt.

I liked the movie Ravenous and its take on the Wendigo.

I also really like the Wendigo legend and idea for some reason and did some research on it, and it even has some really outlandish superstitions, including it becoming invisible when it turns sideways (can't remember where I read that). I even wrote a fantasy horror scenario for an RPG (this one is geared to Warhammer FRP 2nd Edition), which some people thought was really good. For anyone interested, it can be found here: Winter's Cold Heart. I really didn't do the creature justice but it was an attempt.

I'm reading your scenario now, but I've also heard the myth about it turning sideways.

"The creature is a

fiercely hungry thing; a hunger that never goes

away, never fades. Its been hungry its entire life –

which is a long, long time - eternal its said the

creature is, born with the world, out of the darkness

and things none of us can know about."

"Its said it doesn’t fully follow the way our world

works - somehow not all in our world but in another

too – only those lucky… or unlucky…

enough to see it bear down on them head-on,

they’re the ones that see the monster, fully - in full

horror as it opens its giant maw to take them in;

some say you won’t see it coming at all…"

You're good.

Edited by New Ares

Wondering if this topic came about today due to the very cheesy episode of lost tapes(like all of them) that aired earlier and featured the Wendigo.

Wondering if this topic came about today due to the very cheesy episode of lost tapes(like all of them) that aired earlier and featured the Wendigo.

No, but, "Lost Tapes" is actually a pretty fun show, in my opinion. Sure it's cheesy, but it's entertaining.

ive found some stories of the wendigo make it seem similar to a Rakshasa.

The Rakshasa i beleive where the concept of the predator films came from.

Capable of becoming invisible.

will actually mimic a freinds voice to lure you out.

wears entrails as a necklace.

and eats any kind of meat .

of course its also said Rakshasas although extremly dangerous are dumb as a sack of bricks. personally this makes no sense as they use that voice trick to kill entire families.