Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Seeking the Indian Bigfoot

Still Waters

On October 31 – appropriately Halloween, of course - a team from the British-based Center for Fortean Zoology (CFZ) will be embarking upon a truly ambitious expedition to the Garo Hills of Northern India in search of legendary, hairy, man-like beasts know as the Mande-burung – or, in simpler terminology, the Indian equivalents of the United States’ Bigfoot and the Abominable Snowman of Tibet.

The 5-man team will be led by Adam Davies – the author of the monster-hunting-themed book, Extreme Expeditions – and will also consist of Dr Chris Clark, Dave Archer, field naturalist John McGowan, and cryptozoologist Richard Freeman; the latter a former keeper at England’s Twycross Zoo and the author of the book, Dragons: More Than A Myth.

Jonathan Downes, the founder and director of the CFZ, says of these strange and elusive animals: “The creatures are described as being up to ten feet tall, with predominantly black hair. Most importantly, they are said to walk upright, like a man. Walking apes have been reported in the area for many years. These descriptions sound almost identical to those reported in neighboring Bhutan and Tibet. Witnesses report that the Mande-Burung - which translates as forest man - is most often seen in the area in November.”

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DieChecker

• NatureBoff

• ~TheBigK~

• Neognosis

I can see the future. Bet yall didn't know that. Yeah, I can see all kinds of things before they happen and I am getting a vision right now. Its a vision of some men looking for bigfoot in India and not finding anything. Damn I'm good.

Mike

Since India has a population density of 930 per sq km, +/- a few, and the USA has a population density of about 80 per sq km, I'm guessing that there is not too much wilderness that is not well explored. As with the American Bigfoot, you would need thousands of creatures to have a breeding population and with so many people it seem unlikely that they would not be easily found.

Still I wish the CFZ guys luck, and hope they do find something worth the trip. Hopefully they will be there longer then the 1 or 2 days that a Destination Truth crew would be there.

I think CFZ actually is calling this an ape and not a bigfoot or hominid.

I can see the future. Bet yall didn't know that. Yeah, I can see all kinds of things before they happen and I am getting a vision right now. Its a vision of some men looking for bigfoot in India and not finding anything. Damn I'm good.

Mike

He adds: “The Indian team will be led by Dipu Marek, a local expert who has been on the trail of the Indian Yeti for a number of years and has, on previous occasions, found both its nests and 19-inch long ‘footprints.’ The expedition team has also arranged to interview eyewitnesses who have seen the Mande-Burung. Camera traps will be set up in sighting areas in the hope of catching one of the creatures on film.”
The BBC team managed to film the elusive Himalayan tiger in Bhutan, but they used 30 or so camera traps. That's the kind of coverage they'll need to get lucky with an Indian bigfoot I think. I wish them all the best though.

Since India has a population density of 930 per sq km, +/- a few, and the USA has a population density of about 80 per sq km.

After doing a check, I found that you have mistaken sq miles for sq km.

Is there any country left that doesnt have a bigfoot? Its getting(maybe it already was) a bit(maybe "bit" is an understatement) ridiculous isnt it? :wacko:

Is there any country left that doesnt have a bigfoot? Its getting(maybe it already was) a bit(maybe "bit" is an understatement) ridiculous isnt it? :wacko:

The UK for one. We only have littlefolk and werewolves. Oh, and cattle sucking flying orbs with wings.

Since India has a population density of 930 per sq km, +/- a few, and the USA has a population density of about 80 per sq km, I'm guessing that there is not too much wilderness that is not well explored. As with the American Bigfoot, you would need thousands of creatures to have a breeding population and with so many people it seem unlikely that they would not be easily found.

I glanced at some stuff about Garo Hills and it looked pretty dense. It's said there are some tribal people who live there, but that's all I could gather.

The UK for one. We only have littlefolk and werewolves. Oh, and cattle sucking flying orbs with wings.

Well what are you waiting for? Get with the program. :P

Well what are you waiting for? Get with the program. :P

? You mean do some cryptozoology myself? I'm currently cutting logs and leaving my trailcam set to photo the local big cats in the 40 acre nature reserve where I volunteer. The littledudes always keep watch on anyone who enters their vacinity, so they know me well enough (!). There's no chance of catching on of those on film. Way too smart for that. There's two smallish panthers around and I've seen a 5ft puma with my own eyes. I've been trying for about 4 months. It's not easy. Edited by Humblemun

? You mean do some cryptozoology myself? I'm currently cutting logs and leaving my trailcam set to photo the local big cats in the 40 acre nature reserve where I volunteer. The littledudes always keep watch on anyone who enters their vacinity, so they know me well enough (!). There's no chance of catching on of those on film. Way too smart for that. There's two smallish panthers around and I've seen a 5ft puma with my own eyes. I've been trying for about 4 months. It's not easy.

I was just joking around that the UK should have their own version of bigfoot by now. :P Good luck with the trail cams though.

After doing a check, I found that you have mistaken sq miles for sq km.

Your right. Good Catch. :tu:

I glanced at some stuff about Garo Hills and it looked pretty dense. It's said there are some tribal people who live there, but that's all I could gather.

I just looked at it too. I typed Meghalaya into Google Maps. It does look like some fairly rough ground and not too populated, way on the Eastern end of India by Bhutan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meghalaya

The locals are considered "tribesmen" but there are over two million of them, in a state of about 8700 Sq miles, or similar in size to New Jersey.

I was just joking around that the UK should have their own version of bigfoot by now. :P Good luck with the trail cams though.

Thanks, I need it. I've decided trail cams aren't up to the job. Spycams are my next venture (when I have the money that is) Edited by Humblemun

• 3 weeks later...

I can't find an original thread dealing with this so I will start a new one.

The CFZ sends out members to do intensive on site investigations on creatures it thinks are likely every couple years. This year they are going to India to look for the mande burung, which some people say is like a Bigfoot, and others say is some kind of ground dwelling ape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mande_Burung

They arrived in India and have begun asking questions:

http://cfzindia2010.blogspot.com/2010/11/news-from-indian-expedition.html

As always seems to be the case, the team go in search of one unknown animal and find reports of several others:

'We have interviewed many witnesses including a shaman. As well as the mande burung we have uncovered reports of a huge (15-18m) crested serpent called the sankuni.'

The sankuni seems very similar if not identical to the naga, which Richard hunted in Thailand ten years ago: 'It is associated with rainfall and is blamed for landslides. One was supposedly shot in 1940 in a lake near the border with Bangaladesh. It had killed a number of people so a group of armed men hunted it. The shaman reported being chased by a huge, upright walking man-like beast and seeing a sankuni slithering out of a river cave.'

Back to the mande burung: 'Another man saw a severed, preserved hand in a village market' and they also 'found what may be the femur of a bipedal animal in a cave in Seju.'

And there is other news as well: 'We may have also found evidence of a gigantic muntjac even bigger than the giant muntjac, and a possible new sub-species or population of the red panda.'

And finally 'We put up camera traps and will be interviweing recent witnesses soon.'

So even if they find no apes, perhaps they will do some good and find new populations of muntjac or red pandas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muntjak

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_panda

Merged. I guess I did not look back far enough to find this thread. I did not think it was all the way back 3 weeks ago.

And the Devil's Footprints...

This is just a publicity tour for the book that the guy wrote.

But, there are actual people on the ground, doing real science.

I'm not sure what book you are talking about. The bigfoot book on the CFZ homepage?

Edited by DieChecker

I'm not sure what book you are talking about. The bigfoot book on the CFZ homepage?
The 5-man team will be led by Adam Davies – the author of the monster-hunting-themed book, Extreme Expeditions

It should be called "Extremely Pointless Expeditions."

But, there are actual people on the ground, doing real science.

I'll assume that is sarcasm.

I'll assume that is sarcasm.

Is this going to be a, "Only a Doctorate level Scientist can conduct The Holy Science", arguements?

Setting up camera traps, talking to the locals, picking up poop and hair and whatnot. Isn't that science? What they do with the data might be total baloney hogwash, but collecting data is the foundation of science.

Edited by DieChecker

• 2 weeks later...

There are some updates from the India Expedition.

However, they don't amount to much. Pics and videos of people in the jungle. Stories. But, no new animals and no mysterious jungle ape.

http://www.cfz.org.uk/