Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Most Ridiculous Urban Legends?

TheVeryFirstDinosaur

Post them.

When I was younger, me and a few friends would go camping with my dad in the woods. He'd always tell us the story of "Bow Wow".

A little black dog named "Bow Wow" was chasing a whitetail buck through the forest, and the buck hops over a fence to get away from the dog. Trying to run through the fence, the little dog completely decapitates its head.

Late at night, you were supposed to be able to hear Bow Wow's head calling for its body. "Bow Wow! Bow Wow!..."

Sure, it seems silly now, but it's good memories. It would always frighten us, though we hated to admit it. Over the years, he would still bring it up, just as a joke. Often, if my sister and her friends were outside in the yard, "pretend camping" (Fire and tent in the back yard..), I would tell them the story of "Bow Wow."

I'm sure someone has more experiences like this..

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rashore

• ploppy

• Nazgul

• Nigel Forest

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thanks for the read shrine^^

we got a place up here where i live known as 3rd bridge. its a place about id say 45 minutes or more straight into nothing but a dirt road, trees, and grassy hills. Its supposly one of the most haunted places here in ol guud colorado'. The main background story to the place is that, back in the early days of colorado there was the colorado militia, and a tribe of native americans. On a particular day when the men from the tribe were out hunting, the colorado militia while heavily intoxicated basically raped and pillaged the tribe in a very brutal way. When the Men from the tribe returned and witnessed the horror that had became of there tribe, the militia just killed them too.

Fast forward a couple decades And a Insane asylum for the mentally ill was built in the general area due to its seclusion from civilization, a buss was transporting some patients to another facility in CO. There are two bridges before the third bridge given its name and theres several others beyond that, and on one of the bridges the buss was going over in a bad storm. lost control and Fell over one of the bridges, When the police came to investigate all the patients were dead and accountable for except for one, Who was admitted due to his cannibalistic lifestyle choice.

The actual site of all the weird reports is on the Third bridge its self, its over a feild of grass that you can go down under to but is not for the faint of heart. When standing on the bridge its self or in the car with the windows rolled up, people say a strange fog rolls in from no were, that is so dense you cant see anything out the windows. And you can hear what sounds to be drums playing some were out in the hills, But there are so many tales about this place that just get weirder from there that i can go on for days.

Fast forward a couple decades And a Insane asylum for the mentally ill was built in the general area due to its seclusion from civilization, a buss was transporting some patients to another facility in CO. There are two bridges before the third bridge given its name and theres several others beyond that, and on one of the bridges the buss was going over in a bad storm. lost control and Fell over one of the bridges, When the police came to investigate all the patients were dead and accountable for except for one, Who was admitted due to his cannibalistic lifestyle choice.

That sounds a lot like Bunnyman...

The only legend we have around here is of a guy who walks along a railroad looking for his head, carrying a lantern. Very stereotypical.

These are the urban legends I think are stupid. I'll just link them instead of retelling them.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/horrors/a/clown_statue.htm

When someone tells you they're afraid of your clown statue, is your first thought really that it's possible an escaped mental patient is in your house?

http://webpages.charter.net/prophet31/urban/drag.html

If I've had my arms cut off, I'd think, "Screw the children," and get out of there.

Can't find a link to this one...

A stewardess is told someone named Timothy Gay has to get off the plane because there is an emergency at home. She calls out into couch, "Who here is Gay?"

A few passengers call back, "I'm gay!"

She says, "If you're Gay, you have to get off the plane!"

Just stupid.

That fright turns you white. I remember reading about this black dog who was lost in the woods & came back white.

Where the f! did that myth come from?

You know that urban legend about alligators in the sewers. Well, it's not that ridiculous to me. You know that someone, somewhere, sometime, actually put an alligator in the wild, either in a river, lake, or sewer. Really wouldn't surprise me.

That earwigs climb into your ears at night-

Oh wait.

Yeah, that actually happened to me when I was younger and was out camping. I woke up in the middle of the night and there was this insanely loud noise, and for some reason the noise physically hurt. I was really lucky, I could have lost my hearing, but I suddenly felt a tingling in my left ear, and out came a tiny earwig >_>

Now I'm terrified of camping.

I went camping in new jersey with my school when i was younger and my teacher just had to tell a story....and i did know about the jersey devil at the time....its why i almost got no sleep that night.

I went camping in new jersey with my school when i was younger and my teacher just had to tell a story....and i did know about the jersey devil at the time....its why i almost got no sleep that night.

Not a legend if the house is actualy real lol

Not a legend if the house is actualy real lol

yah......and i do think its real....anything is possible.

The most ridiculous Urban legend Ive ever heard

If you eat Pop Rocks candy while drinking soda you will explode and that's what killed little Mikey-"He likes it Hey Mikey"

We have a great one.

If you are honest, trustworthy and hard-working you will be successful in life. What a crock of !&%?

aww can someone tell me the jersey devil legend? never heard of it either

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/horrors/a/clown_statue.htm

When someone tells you they're afraid of your clown statue, is your first thought really that it's possible an escaped mental patient is in your house?

My first thought would be John Wayne Gacy, which isn't any better. Or It, which certainly isn't any better. So all around I find that pretty creepy.

I find the most ridiculous kind to have completely farfetched creatures or like the pop rocks one. To me, the ones with intruders and such still aren't impossible.

Back in the early 1980's, my brother Kyle went to college in the United States.

One night, during a long phone conversation, he told me an odd story about an old house,

just a few miles outside of the town he was living in Nebraska.

The local people were apparently very afraid of this house, to the extent that even the local police

refused to go near the road that leads to it.

In his second year of school, a faculty professor was conducting physics experiments having something to do

with local geology, a seeming common study on electromagnetism and its effect on radio waves.

Supposedly this teacher had found that radio broadcast was consistently thwarted by a very strange form of

interference which seemed to come from, you guessed it, the area around the old house.

The house itself had been named the "house of recipe" for a very long time, this was due to a mailbox at the end of the

road with the only the word "recipe" painted on it. Kyle told me that his roommate was trying put together a research team to run a series of test from the property but his professor was having trouble getting permission from the town to gain access to the property. We both had a good laugh about what they might find there, then I didn't speak to my brother for a few weeks after this.

Then, about 3 weeks later and to my absolute shock, my brother called me one afternoon in a total panic.

He said that his roommate had been missing for 5 days and that his parents were on their way from France to try and find him. According to my brother, his roommate's team never got permission from the town to access the property for testing. So earlier that week, the roommate decided to go, by himself, to see what all the fuss was about, but never returned home. My brother said that he told the police everything he knew and that when they found out about the recipe house they became somber and immediately wrapped up the questioning. Later that day the FBI payed Kyle a visit and asked mostly the same type of questions as the police, with one obvious exception, they asked him if he had ever head the term "The Casserole Masters", he hadn't and neither had I. My brother thought, for a long time, that this must have something to do with his roommate being a French national citizen, perhaps he was a member of some french anarchist league, and maybe they called themselves "Le Cocotte Un Maître". What else would compel the FBI, to not only be involved in the investigation, but also to ask such an odd question. The FBI told Kyle to never speak of or divulge any information relative to any of this to anyone, or he would not only be deported but could be detained indefinitely.

When Kyle returned home later that year we sat down and he filled me on everything else that had happened, but was afraid to disclose over the phone. The story kept going for months, and for some reason had been mostly been covered up by the town and the school, like nothing had ever happened. The professor stopped going to work, and wouldn't talk to my brother about what had happened. His roommates parent went back to France months later, broken hearted. Even Kyle himself, in order to pass his classes, had to try and stop thinking about it all, he had become convinced that his roommate had either been in an accident of some kind or was murdered.

Shortly before he left to come back to the UK for the summer, he decided that he needed to know for himself, so he had a friend drive him to the old house. When they arrived, there was a 13 foot high chain link fence surrounding the property, so they never went any further. The mailbox was, just as it was said to have been, labeled "Recipe" in white paint, on rusted steel.

My brother chose to open the mailbox before he left, perhaps out of desperation. Inside the mailbox he found the most terrifying and confusing clue of the entire ordeal. He found an antique Christmas card, old, yellow and faded the inside of which read "Merry Christmas, quite a bit! Sincerely, The Sheriff".

As far as we were ever able to determine the town never had a sheriff, and on top of that it already June.

Was this a threat? a joke? Was it meant for him or someone else? Did anyone still live in the house? Who owns the property?

These questions and thousands more would continue to plague my brother for many years to come, with never even a single answer.

To this day Hastings College faculty rarely talk about what happened back in 1981, and most of the student population knows nothing about it. The specter of the house itself is still strong enough to spawn ghost stories and other adulterated versions of what really happened in 1981, but no one ever talks about the missing french student or the former physics department and their experiments.

My brother still has the Christmas card, he keeps it in a frame on the wall of his reading den, next to a photo of he and his old college roommate Adrien. Even though its been almost 30 years since this happened, his obsession with solving the riddle of what happened to his friend all those years ago still haunts him every day of his life.

Even though there are hundreds of stories out there regarding that old house in the woods of Nebraska, this is the actual event that spawned them all.

post-108607-0-35357600-1289166999_thumb.

Oh, there's a handful of urban legends I love for their cheese :)

Haunted bridges, crossings and trees. A dime a dozen. A bunch do have some real tragedy in their past. Most of them are alarmingly alike, no matter where the legend comes from.

That McDonalds quit giving out paddle style coffee stirrers because they were being used as coke spoons.

The walled lake child killer.

The big tragedy with no trace of records legend. Usually an institution of some sort, where people were treated badly, and the place ended badly. But oddly enough, no records can ever be found of the building existing, or any records of the places demise.

That the Lebanon hellgates are a map to hell. I think they are something else, but still lamely mundane.

Urban legends that are extra lame because there is truth to them...

Weird stuff in food legends.

Insane patient/criminal gets out and does bad crap legends.

I've just read one now and I hope to God it's not true. It's called the Lady and the Lobster and I don't want to risk pasting it as the NSWF might result in a banning :ph34r:

hi

i seen a show a while ago on tv.Where an earwig was put in a presenters ear.+The earwig just wanted out it had no interest in this mans ear

hi

i seen a show a while ago on tv.Where an earwig was put in a presenters ear.+The earwig just wanted out it had no interest in this mans ear

How does this have to do with anything?

How does this have to do with anything?

Well, the urban legend that earwigs seek out nests in ears and that's why they are called that. Though I did read a post on another thread that a member did wake one night while camping to an awful sound in his ear and it was bug ickiness. The bug apparently fell out, but still, gross.

And Ploppy.. woah, thank you very much for not posting the full lady and lobster story. Don't know if that's even medically vaguely possible, but extra extra gross.

It did remind me of PB and dogs, ew, not an urban legend. Extra lame though, lol.

Another ridiculous urban legend is "light as a feather, stiff as a board".

I'm not so sure about live organ harvesting either. Not the black market harvesting kind. The random person wakes up or is discovered in a post surgery dump state after not knowing they were knocked out and body parts were harvested kind.

And Ploppy.. woah, thank you very much for not posting the full lady and lobster story. Don't know if that's even medically vaguely possible, but extra extra gross.

Yeah it's definately one of those "wish hadn't read it" gross ones, more than a horror/entertaining one. I don't WANT to know if it's medically possible :P

• 9 months later...

Back in the early 1980's, my brother Kyle went to college in the United States.

One night, during a long phone conversation, he told me an odd story about an old house,

just a few miles outside of the town he was living in Nebraska.

The local people were apparently very afraid of this house, to the extent that even the local police

refused to go near the road that leads to it.

In his second year of school, a faculty professor was conducting physics experiments having something to do

with local geology, a seeming common study on electromagnetism and its effect on radio waves.

Supposedly this teacher had found that radio broadcast was consistently thwarted by a very strange form of

interference which seemed to come from, you guessed it, the area around the old house.

The house itself had been named the "house of recipe" for a very long time, this was due to a mailbox at the end of the

road with the only the word "recipe" painted on it. Kyle told me that his roommate was trying put together a research team to run a series of test from the property but his professor was having trouble getting permission from the town to gain access to the property. We both had a good laugh about what they might find there, then I didn't speak to my brother for a few weeks after this.

Then, about 3 weeks later and to my absolute shock, my brother called me one afternoon in a total panic.

He said that his roommate had been missing for 5 days and that his parents were on their way from France to try and find him. According to my brother, his roommate's team never got permission from the town to access the property for testing. So earlier that week, the roommate decided to go, by himself, to see what all the fuss was about, but never returned home. My brother said that he told the police everything he knew and that when they found out about the recipe house they became somber and immediately wrapped up the questioning. Later that day the FBI payed Kyle a visit and asked mostly the same type of questions as the police, with one obvious exception, they asked him if he had ever head the term "The Casserole Masters", he hadn't and neither had I. My brother thought, for a long time, that this must have something to do with his roommate being a French national citizen, perhaps he was a member of some french anarchist league, and maybe they called themselves "Le Cocotte Un Maître". What else would compel the FBI, to not only be involved in the investigation, but also to ask such an odd question. The FBI told Kyle to never speak of or divulge any information relative to any of this to anyone, or he would not only be deported but could be detained indefinitely.

When Kyle returned home later that year we sat down and he filled me on everything else that had happened, but was afraid to disclose over the phone. The story kept going for months, and for some reason had been mostly been covered up by the town and the school, like nothing had ever happened. The professor stopped going to work, and wouldn't talk to my brother about what had happened. His roommates parent went back to France months later, broken hearted. Even Kyle himself, in order to pass his classes, had to try and stop thinking about it all, he had become convinced that his roommate had either been in an accident of some kind or was murdered.

Shortly before he left to come back to the UK for the summer, he decided that he needed to know for himself, so he had a friend drive him to the old house. When they arrived, there was a 13 foot high chain link fence surrounding the property, so they never went any further. The mailbox was, just as it was said to have been, labeled "Recipe" in white paint, on rusted steel.

My brother chose to open the mailbox before he left, perhaps out of desperation. Inside the mailbox he found the most terrifying and confusing clue of the entire ordeal. He found an antique Christmas card, old, yellow and faded the inside of which read "Merry Christmas, quite a bit! Sincerely, The Sheriff".

As far as we were ever able to determine the town never had a sheriff, and on top of that it already June.

Was this a threat? a joke? Was it meant for him or someone else? Did anyone still live in the house? Who owns the property?

These questions and thousands more would continue to plague my brother for many years to come, with never even a single answer.

To this day Hastings College faculty rarely talk about what happened back in 1981, and most of the student population knows nothing about it. The specter of the house itself is still strong enough to spawn ghost stories and other adulterated versions of what really happened in 1981, but no one ever talks about the missing french student or the former physics department and their experiments.

My brother still has the Christmas card, he keeps it in a frame on the wall of his reading den, next to a photo of he and his old college roommate Adrien. Even though its been almost 30 years since this happened, his obsession with solving the riddle of what happened to his friend all those years ago still haunts him every day of his life.

Even though there are hundreds of stories out there regarding that old house in the woods of Nebraska, this is the actual event that spawned them all.

Would you please tell me what the locals believe happened to your brothers friend,i am very intrigued.