Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

50-Million-Year-Old Insects found in amber

Still Waters

A collection of amber deposits unearthed in northwest India has opened a spectacular window into insect life some 50 million years ago.

At that time, what’s now the Asian subcontinent had just crashed into mainland Asia — about 100 million years after breaking off the coast of east Africa.During its long isolated float, life on that giant island had time to evolve into strange new forms.

That’s what’s researchers expected, anyway, but not what they found in the amber, described October 26 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Instead, the insects resemble what’s seen in amber deposits from continental landmasses of the time. (Amber is the geological name for fossilized tree resin, which often preserves insects that get stuck in it.) The findings suggest an unexpected transfer of insects, perhaps across chains of volcanic islands.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SolarPlexus

• 8ball936

• Mac E

• Lcvec

I find it amazing at how little some insect species have changed over millions of years. They are truly fascinating.

I find it amazing at how little some insect species have changed over millions of years. They are truly fascinating.

Yep that's a really nice find, thanks for posting still waters :tu:

I'm sorry,but I thought that insects from that long ago were supposed to be really big?

I think you watch too many movies!! It's only 50 Million years ago.

I'm sorry,but I thought that insects from that long ago were supposed to be really big?

Not everything was supersized in the past. Of course there are exceptions in the fossil records, but most things were small. I htink it was the abundance of plants and animals that gave rise to the larger species, as they were able to sustain larger sizes through their diets. I'm also sure oxygen content was higher as well which may have had an affect.

I think you watch too many movies!! It's only 50 Million years ago.

Yeah, ONLY. Could you tell me how long ago the insects were so big.

Not everything was supersized in the past. Of course there are exceptions in the fossil records, but most things were small. I htink it was the abundance of plants and animals that gave rise to the larger species, as they were able to sustain larger sizes through their diets. I'm also sure oxygen content was higher as well which may have had an affect.

Yeap...that is what THEY say.

:tu: You got it that's correct. There was more oxygen which enabled bugs to get bigger. But 50 million years ago was the Eocene epoch and bugs were more like they are now.

http://www.enotes.com/earth-science/eocene-epoch

Yeah, ONLY. Could you tell me how long ago the insects were so big.

More than 300 million years ago, there was 31 to 35 percent oxygen in the air,” Dr. Kaiser said. “That means that the respiratory systems of the insects could be smaller and still deliver enough oxygen to meet their demands, allowing the creatures to grow much larger.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/08/070806112323.htm

I'll have to find what I was watching if you guys want verification. But it seems the abundance of c02 caused plants to grow much quicker and more thickly dispersed than today. Downside was the nutritional content was less than half current average for same plant. Here's where theory steps in... Because of this a chain reaction started... Dinosaurs needed to eat more to get nutrition, and the size of the stomach needed for processing all this plant material it seems kicked off the growth. Next the other organs had to get larger and larger and finally they became massive. Now this only concerns the plant eating dinosaurs of the time, and I'm sorry but am unable to pull more information from my memory to go further down this theory. It may have merit. It may not. Ill let you all decide for yourselves. But one thing is certain there was more c02 in the air than found today. (Mind you c02 is one part carbon and two parts oxygen) well ill sign off for now. I hope this added a bit to the conversation.

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Do they really survive for long 50 million years ?

facepalm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Things were much larger in the past because there was more oxygen. There was more oxygen because there were more trees. We cut down too many trees wich is why we're tiny.

Well, you had giant dragonflies which had wingspans of more than 75 cm... but that was like 300 mya

and giant 2m water scorpions

I bet we became tiny coz we multiply very fast that we c0nsume m0re oxygen everyday...and then we cut trees..

But who cares im n0t 4ever only th0se of nxt genrti0n will suffer... By the way only bcoz we are n0t present n dinosaur era thats why they gr0w very huge..if we were there i bet they will bec0me ham,hotdog, steak, etc.

yeah less oxygen and cooler climate. Things were much larger in the past because there was more oxygen and the climate was warmer