Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your reaction towards advanced species

Beckys_Mom

This topic is purely hypothetical...<-- hope you can bare this in mind lol

ALIENS

Many say aliens are or could be – the advanced species...more advanced than we are as humans

Lets say we found alien craft landed here on earth...( before area 51 found out lol)..... and we learned they were in fact more advanced than us...well they would need to more advanced than us if there were able to travel the great distance from our world

As they were able to travel from distant planets...then it would be obvious that they were indeed created before us......to add they also do not look as human as we do

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

.......Question 1 - ......So........ just who or what did god really make in his image?

.......Question 2 - .....How would the religious feel towards these aliens?

.......Question 3 - Would you all think it's just a trick and convince yourselves it is just that?

Edited by Beckys_Mom

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• Purplos

• rashore

• Dr. D

Answer to 1, Organised religions around the world would come up with some twisted story to make the situation make sense to those that do not understand.

Answer to 2, I have a feeling their beliefs and faith would be turned upside down. But most deeply religious will come up with something to answer what they do not understand. When people are scared they will almost believe anything.

Answer to 3, If It was something on the scale of say .. District 9 and covered hugely by the media then yes I would believe. However I wouldn't trust them i certainly wouldnt believe anything they said. And I would be hit by severe Xenophobia.

Thats my view on this scenario.

Islam has space in its teachings for the potential for alien life, it is said in certain passages of the Quran that Allah may have created other beings around the universe too...

Source ( google "Islam and Aliens" )

ironic isn't it, that the religion that is causing a lot of trouble in this world, could possibly be the one that would be most accepting of alien life......

Question 1 - I guess it comes down to what it means to be "created in God's image". Since it is generally agreed that the image is not a physical image (since God has no physical being), the question becomes a little more fluid. Perhaps these aliens are also in God's image, or perhaps it is different for them having developed on a different planet (since one of the more popular ideas of "image" [and the idea that I think is most theologically accurate] revolves around the authority God has given human beings in ruling this planet). It certainly would bear interesting questions, whatever the case.

Question 2 - Being religious, I say I wouldn't really care about them (in terms of a belief in God, that is - obviously there are other non-religious factors to consider if we are confronted with the existence of life outside our planet).

Question 3 - Since it bears no issue with my belief in God, I don't see why I would try to rationalise it away.....

~ Regards, PA

Ok so far some really decent replies...good to know...hope to get more

I wonder....would any of you think - there could be a chance they too hold beliefs in god??.................after all many religious believe god did create the universe right? well they too could have their own way of faith and think more or less the same

I was watching Star Trek Generations...that gave me the idea actually lol.....An alein species (vulcan) follwed the words from an old vulcan god like character of logic....turned out...his origional writings were lost...all they had to go on was copies of his origional text...it was left open for interpretation <-- the captin smirked at the Vulcan who spoke of it.....she said to the captin - Whats so ammusing?.............he replied - Nothing much it all sounds pretty familiar is all lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom

ALIENS

Many say aliens are or could be – the advanced species...more advanced than we are as humans

Lets say we found alien craft landed here on earth...( before area 51 found out lol)..... and we learned they were in fact more advanced than us...well they would need to more advanced than us if there were able to travel the great distance from our world

As they were able to travel from distant planets...then it would be obvious that they were indeed created before us......to add they also do not look as human as we do

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

.......Question 1 - ......So........ just who or what did god really make in his image?

.......Question 3 - Would you all think it's just a trick and convince yourselves it is just that?

Where in religion does it say we are the only ones?

Where in religion does it say we are the only ones?

Ohh for petes sake why quote the entire OP to not take part???

If you think the bible speaks of aliens..ok go ahead and post where it says god made aliens in the bible....anything to make you happy ok?? and if you like you can actually take part in the actual topic itself...

The topic marked as hypothetical must have escaped your notice so it seems :rolleyes:

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Ohh for petes sake why quote the entire OP to not take part???

If you think the bible speaks of aliens..ok go ahead and post where it says god made aliens in the bible....anything to make you happy ok?? and if you like you can actually take part in the actual topic itself...

The topic marked as hypothetical must have escaped your notice so it seems :rolleyes:

As I suspected you cant quote any part of the Bible indicating we are the only ones.

As I suspected you cant quote any part of the Bible indicating we are the only ones.

Tell me what part of this OP did escape your notice....

????

Now I do not recall the bible speaking of aliens...IF you do...feel free to post it....anything for a quiet life...so as you have not posted anything...I would assume you cant...but dont worry..you can always take part in the actual topic instead..whatcha think??

and hopefuly others will take part in the hypothetical questions ya know the idea of the thread?? ....if you continue to spout out irrelevant info...I wont be intrested ok?

Edited by Beckys_Mom

ALIENS

.......Question 1 -

I think it is entirely possible that god can have more than one face, and so would be able to create more than one population that can look different or behave differently. I figure if god can be 100% male human image and figure out the need for and how to create females.. As well as the ability to create a ton of plants and animals on earth.. Isn't too far fetched to be able to create beings, plants and animals we have never seen, just somewhere else. I don't think that them coming here first necessarily would mean that the aliens were created before humans either. Could be that they just have had the harmony from day one to advance themselves to explore space while we have been fighting each other from day one way too much to be turning to serious space exploration.

.......Question 2 -

I would be totally fine with it so long as the aliens aren't trying to give us the smack down. My faith and my logic completely allow for other critters as developed as humans, or even more so. As for other religions... I think folks that currently have a hard time accepting other humans would have an extra hard time accepting alien nature. I also sort of think religion would have less to do with it than general fear and greed.

.......Question 3 -

I suppose that would depend on how the alien contact went down. An area 51 kind of thing.. meh, we've been there, done that, still debate it. UFO mother ship hanging out over the whitehouse for a few days while the aliens have talks with world leaders and it's widely broadcast in the media.. I would bite :)

.......Question 1 -

I think it is entirely possible that god can have more than one face, and so would be able to create more than one population that can look different or behave differently. I figure if god can be 100% male human image and figure out the need for and how to create females.. As well as the ability to create a ton of plants and animals on earth.. Isn't too far fetched to be able to create beings, plants and animals we have never seen, just somewhere else. I don't think that them coming here first necessarily would mean that the aliens were created before humans either. Could be that they just have had the harmony from day one to advance themselves to explore space while we have been fighting each other from day one way too much to be turning to serious space exploration.

.......Question 2 -

I would be totally fine with it so long as the aliens aren't trying to give us the smack down. My faith and my logic completely allow for other critters as developed as humans, or even more so. As for other religions... I think folks that currently have a hard time accepting other humans would have an extra hard time accepting alien nature. I also sort of think religion would have less to do with it than general fear and greed.

.......Question 3 -

I suppose that would depend on how the alien contact went down. An area 51 kind of thing.. meh, we've been there, done that, still debate it. UFO mother ship hanging out over the whitehouse for a few days while the aliens have talks with world leaders and it's widely broadcast in the media.. I would bite :)

WOW cool answers...I liked how you suggested that god could have many faces...you have a good imagination with thoughts..I like it thanks I too feel god could have many forms

Tell me what part of this OP did escape your notice....

????

Now I do not recall the bible speaking of aliens...IF you do...feel free to post it....anything for a quiet life...so as you have not posted anything...I would assume you cant...but dont worry..you can always take part in the actual topic instead..whatcha think??

and hopefuly others will take part in the hypothetical questions ya know the idea of the thread?? ....if you continue to spout out irrelevant info...I wont be intrested ok?

I recall the Bible speaking about higher beings so the question is where are these beings?

If we interupt things like angels with wings as just ancient interruptations of beings with the ability for space-flight it blows it wide open. In fact God may be an alien and as we look like little grey men we are in his image.

I recall the Bible speaking about higher beings so the question is where are these beings?

If we interupt things like angels with wings as just ancient interruptations of beings with the ability for space-flight it blows it wide open. In fact God may be an alien and as we look like little grey men we are in his image.

So you are actually just basing on how you have intreperted the bible??? even though the bible doesnt directly mention ET's ??

To be honest with you Power Lust... what you have just raised is worth discusing....my hubby once came out with that claim before.....but I think that is something that would make a good thread...perhaps you can kick it off?? putting up your ideas on how you view it all from the bible...more or less the ideas you have just posted....for seriously it could turn into a good topic

But this thread is not about that... its hypothetical asking how would people react ect...do they fear them??

Let me preface by saying I'm not a bible-believing Christian.

First, the bible not mentioning aliens has little to do with anything, in my opinion. The bible was written for humans on earth. Perhaps on other planets, there is an alien bible from whatever version of god they follow. I do think that any sentient and intelligent species could come up with some sort of god figure. Before they got all this lovely tech that hurtles them through space, they probably had just as much "mystery of the universe, must be a god" stuff as humans did. Plus, I do believe in god, and it is not just a god of Earth.

The whole "man in the image of god" thing always strikes me as funny when people think it means people are physically like god. Do people still think there is a human-shaped god somewhere, that is bound by that shape and structure?

Let me preface by saying I'm not a bible-believing Christian.

First, the bible not mentioning aliens has little to do with anything, in my opinion. The bible was written for humans on earth. Perhaps on other planets, there is an alien bible from whatever version of god they follow. I do think that any sentient and intelligent species could come up with some sort of god figure. Before they got all this lovely tech that hurtles them through space, they probably had just as much "mystery of the universe, must be a god" stuff as humans did. Plus, I do believe in god, and it is not just a god of Earth.

The whole "man in the image of god" thing always strikes me as funny when people think it means people are physically like god. Do people still think there is a human-shaped god somewhere, that is bound by that shape and structure?

Ok love this post.... thanks

My ideas..were going along the lines of how people tend to believe god created all planets... so if they do think this...thne I wanted to see their reactions if life from one of those planets came here....how would they react?

I too thought the whole man in the image of god was weird..... especially when I once had a dream of the afterlife...I saw my great aunt ( who is not dead)..she was there...I asked her - was there really a god? ..she said - go see for yourself..........I did...and saw this massive dragon like creature...that was meant to be god....<-- yes just a dream...but it made me wonder

Anyhoo like I said...I wanted to see the reactions from those that seriously do believe god created all planets ...how would they react if some life forms came here and so forth??

.....Question 1 - ......So........ just who or what did god really make in his image? N/A as an atheist with no imagination lol.

My hypothetical guess would be, (only some sects though) if there was some scripture in the bible that couldn't be interpreted to say that they were on the g-d list, they would be religiously discriminated against.. IMO

.......Question 3 - Would you all think it's just a trick and convince yourselves it is just that? I honestly have no thoughts on this.

Edited by Sherizzle

Question 1 - I guess it comes down to what it means to be "created in God's image". Since it is generally agreed that the image is not a physical image (since God has no physical being), the question becomes a little more fluid. Perhaps these aliens are also in God's image, or perhaps it is different for them having developed on a different planet (since one of the more popular ideas of "image" [and the idea that I think is most theologically accurate] revolves around the authority God has given human beings in ruling this planet). It certainly would bear interesting questions, whatever the case.

Question 2 - Being religious, I say I wouldn't really care about them (in terms of a belief in God, that is - obviously there are other non-religious factors to consider if we are confronted with the existence of life outside our planet).

Question 3 - Since it bears no issue with my belief in God, I don't see why I would try to rationalise it away.....

~ Regards, PA

Generally agreed by who?

ya know... There is a possibility that god created aliens after us, and they were the improved model. Maybe we were the slower paced experiment :devil:

I think it's pretty normal for god to be created in the image of man as often as not. There are plenty of deities that are non human too. But human deities are easier to relate to, lol.

I'm willing to bet that alien deities prolly look like them more often than not too. Or if elephants or dolphins have deities, they probably look a lot like elephants or dolphins. Makes me wonder if their among their harmful deities are human shaped ones :(

Edited by rashore

Generally agreed by who?

Theologians, whether they be Christian, Jewish or Islamic - all are in general agreement that being made in God's image is not a matter of physical likeness. It is known that God is a spirit entity, so he is certainly not a bipedal hominid. Add to that that it was "mankind" who was created in God's image, both male and female, it cannot be said that God has a particular gender (though he is given a masculine pronoun - certainly better than calling God an "it"). I could go into greater detail, but it would take us off topic, so I'll just leave it at this.

~ Regards, PA

answer to Q1

God made man in his image probably does not refer to the physical but the spiritual

Answer to Q2

They would ask about the aliens religion(s) and try to draw paralels between our and thier beliefs

Answer to Q3

I would urge military to take action to get aliens off of our planet before our culture(s) was destroyed

ALIENS

1. God made in his image sapient beings. Only sapient beings are capable of constructing or recognising a god, and only sapient beings can become gods. Ergo god was sapient and all sapient beings are, by default, in gods image (whether or not he createsd them) These aliens are obviously sapient therefore what ever physical shape they have. They also are in gods image.

2.MAny differnt things i would imagine. I would ask for a lift as long as their life support suited me. Even a brief tour round the galaxy would be fine.

3. Why on earth should it be a trick? Even if a biblically based christian, the bible clearly suggests/implies that there are many inhabited worlds in heaven. The only problem is that the bible also suggests that earth is embargoed because of the fall of man and the efect our nature might have on others.

So it might depend what purpose the aliens had. Are they an intergalactic form of mormons or Jw's for example. :devil:

Question 1 - The way that I see it is that God is a spiritual being, composed primarily of light. He created us (our souls) in His image - light based spiritual beings. Although this belief isn't in the Bible (to the best of my knowledge) our souls inhabit physical bodies, and I see no reason why they couldn't inhabit an 'alien' body as well. I do believe that God in His infinite wisdom created life on other planets, otherwise there is so much waste in the universe. Now as to whether or not these other races have been here ... well there is another forum for that :)

Question 2 - I think it depends on the denomination or individual belief. For example my fundamentalist sister believes that we are indeed the only life in the entire universe and that alien ships are nothing more than demons trying to turn us away from God. Yet the Catholic church has within the last few years said we may want to start considering the possibility of life on other planets (she also believes that the Catholic Church is the great whore mentioned in Revelations - but that is a whole other argument). See what I mean be individual belief? I believe that once alien life was to be proven, the churches would readily embrace them and preach on God's greatness that he created life in other parts of the universe.

Question 3 - At first I would be extremely skeptical of it, and I think most people would. But once it was proven that we were not alone, I do believe that natural curiosity and fear would run rampant in society. Instead of preachers on the corner saying that God is coming soon and the end is near, they would be shouting that the aliens are here to destroy us and take over. I think people would be curious as to the physical state of these aliens and you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that somebody would try to have sex with one. I believe that humans are innately fearful of different things and it would more than likely cause problems at first. I do NOT believe that it would be a complete breakdown of society as we know it.

Good question Becky's Mom. My friends and I have discussed similar things before and I have thought about it many times.

1. God made in his image sapient beings. Only sapient beings are capable of constructing or recognising a god, and only sapient beings can become gods.

MR Walker as the idea of the thread was hypothetical....meaning you are meant to view it as such and make a wider use of your own imagination....

So I ask you...since they were able to travel to our planet from great distances that man can't ...then it would be obvious they were around before man......more advanced than man...and not like humans at all....

So.....what if they believed that they were made in gods image?? <--and they were around long before we evolved...remember you must be able to think on a wider scale and not base it on how you see things as you do now....

Question 1 - The way that I see it is that God is a spiritual being, composed primarily of light. He created us (our souls) in His image - light based spiritual beings. Although this belief isn't in the Bible (to the best of my knowledge) our souls inhabit physical bodies, and I see no reason why they couldn't inhabit an 'alien' body as well. I do believe that God in His infinite wisdom created life on other planets, otherwise there is so much waste in the universe. Now as to whether or not these other races have been here ... well there is another forum for that :)

Ok let me get this straight.... you know from the idea of my OP ( it being hypothetical and all...meaning to imagine it other than how you see it now).....you think that if these aliens were around long before man ( they would have to be in order to do what man cant and that is travel to our planet from distant worlds, making them more advanced than we are)...............god mad them in his image too? so god takes many forms?

Let me know if that is what you meant?

answer to Q1

God made man in his image probably does not refer to the physical but the spiritual

So even though he made the aliens long before man.....he made man in hisimage and not the other living beings that came before us?

Tell me why you think that is? why would god only creat a newer being humans in his image long after his other living beings on hismany other worlds? Is saying he created us in his image regardless who was created first ...sort of a selfish way to look at it? to think that we are 1st and the one and only?

Hope you do not see that as rude...I just don't get why??