Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Frozen Ark' to save animal DNA

UM-Bot

dna.jpg

A tissue bank that will store genetic material from thousands of endangered animals has been set up in the UK. The Frozen Ark, as it is called, will preserve animal "life codes" even after their species have become extinct. This will allow future generations of scientists to understand long lost creatures, and may also help with the conservation programmes of tomorrow.

The project is supported by the Natural History Museum, the Zoological Society of London and Nottingham University.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: BBC News

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SilverCougar

• UM-Bot

• Starlyte

• Great Big Sea

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a huge debate about this one on another forum. Needless to say, alot of "It's not effecting us, why should we care" types have chimed in.

I think it is a good idea to run with untill we learn a way to better live with the rest of the life on this planet.

Over the next 30 years, perhaps a quarter of all known mammals and a tenth of all recorded bird species could die out

And our governments causing the pollution killing them couldn't care less

Over the next 30 years, perhaps a quarter of all known mammals and a tenth of all recorded bird species could die out

And our governments causing the pollution killing them couldn't care less

As someone had said "Extinction is part of life, it'll happen reguardless, it always had"

Yes, extintion does happen. However, it's been even more so due to us. New Zeland is a prime example. Before the aboriganese found thier way there, the island was filled with all sorts of flightless birdlife. But because they hunted, and the animals they brought with them (then the animals the European settlers brought) destroyed alot of the habbitat, well.. a great majority got wiped out.

We hunted, poisoned, and just plain old wiped out many species. Many not even known to us. (IE Deforestation in the rainforests) And this is also including plant life.

I for one, have been getting sick of the "Because we're superior, and therefor we can." stance. Because we're superior, doesn't that mean we should take care of this place? It's not like we have a back up planet to go to if this one crashes around us because of our arrogance...

I think its nice that they are getting ready for these animals coming extinction disgust.gif , what I want to know is why can't we all work together to save these animals now. With all the money that is shelled out on wars and such, think of the good that could be done to help the planet and animals if we had that money whistling2.gif

It's sad really I really don't want to see many goregous, animals die off, maybe collecting their DNA might help the scientists.