Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chupacabra explained by evolution?

farandaway

I found this on my home page this morning, thought it was interesting.;)

chupacabra-coyote-mange_27973_200x150.jpg Coyote with severe mange. Image courtesy Dan Pence.

Ker Than

for National Geographic News

Published October 28, 2010

Tales of a mysterious monster that sucks the blood of livestock have exploded in Mexico, the U.S. Southwest, and even China since the mid-1990s, when the chupacabra, or chupacabras, was first reported in Puerto Rico (map).

Now, just in time for Halloween, scientists say they can explain the stories with the help of evolutionary theory.

Read More

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Agent. Mulder

• Mr.United_Nations

• Eldorado

• Scarling

Wll the original stories was that they were testing an an alien in Puerto Rico and it escaped. Another story is a animal being tested on and badly deformed.

As for the blood-sucking part of the chupacabra legend, that may just be make believe or exaggeration.

"I think that's pure myth," OConnor said.

This article completely overlooks a very crucial bit of information involving the chupacabra, being that it drains it's "victim" of blood, but does not feed on the meaty carcass itself. They dismiss this by simply claiming that it is exaggeration. Based on what, exactly? I'm going to need more of an explanation than that before they can simply tell me it's an exaggeration.

This article puts all of it's focus on coyotes with mange, and disregards the other aspects of the legend.

Not impressed :\

This article completely overlooks a very crucial bit of information involving the chupacabra, being that it drains it's "victim" of blood, but does not feed on the meaty carcass itself. They dismiss this by simply claiming that it is exaggeration. Based on what, exactly? I'm going to need more of an explanation than that before they can simply tell me it's an exaggeration.

This article puts all of it's focus on coyotes with mange, and disregards the other aspects of the legend.

Not impressed :\

Because there's so many ways blood can "disappear." For one thing, it begins drying up very soon after death, especially in warm climates, like the locations the chupacabra is reported in.

:mellow: everything is wrong with this ...

1,chupacabra is bipedal

2,chupacabra resembles a reptile

3,there is talk of chupacabra being able to fly without the use of wings

I know people from puerto rico and these claims of it looking like a mangy dog it flat-out wrong :angry2:

How can they try to explain something if they even get the story right :wacko:

Edited by earlizd1

A scientific explanation for a cryptid.

Will it be accepted by crypto-hunters? Don't be silly.

THANK YOU EARLIZD1. The REAL Chupacabre is NOT a dog, coyote, fox, or any mangy critter. It is a reptilian looking thing, supposedly. Here in Texas almost everyone has had a 'chuppie' sighting. Its usually just a xolo dog or me out walking my coy-dog.

THANK YOU EARLIZD1. The REAL Chupacabre is NOT a dog, coyote, fox, or any mangy critter. It is a reptilian looking thing, supposedly. Here in Texas almost everyone has had a 'chuppie' sighting. Its usually just a xolo dog or me out walking my coy-dog.

No kidding. A mangey type of hyrbid canid isnt a bipedal lizard like creature.

The "southern states sucker" isnt the original chupa that was supposedly sighted.

"In almost all these cases, the monsters have turned out to be coyotes suffering from very severe cases of mange, a painful, potentially fatal skin disease that can cause the animals' hair to fall out and skin to shrivel, among other symptoms"

Well thats not true.

Edited by Agent. Mulder

If it's reptilian it could belong to the Illuminati. Their pets, for example.

Exactly.

"Evolution", my Butt.

Exactly.

"Evolution", my Butt.

I went to see the illuminati at blackpool in England. It was very cold and I found them to be soulless representations, exerting a strange power over passers by. They are on every year from August 'til November, one of them is an Egyptian sarcophagus and another might have owls and Donald Rumsfeld on it.

I went to see the illuminati at blackpool in England. It was very cold and I found them to be soulless representations, exerting a strange power over passers by. They are on every year from August 'til November, one of them is an Egyptian sarcophagus and another might have owls and Donald Rumsfeld on it.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Blackpool_tower_and_illuminations.jpg

:mellow: everything is wrong with this ...

1,chupacabra is bipedal

2,chupacabra resembles a reptile

3,there is talk of chupacabra being able to fly without the use of wings

I know people from puerto rico and these claims of it looking like a mangy dog it flat-out wrong :angry2:

How can they try to explain something if they even get the story right :wacko:

I thought the Chupacabra was a huge fluffy thing?:o Or am I getting confused with Big Foot? :l

I thought the Chupacabra was a huge fluffy thing?:o Or am I getting confused with Big Foot? :l

Well, the chupa isnt fluffy. So, you did confuse it with this!

CareBears_Blanket.gif