Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Baby Food Found Laced with Ricin in California

DC09

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - At least one jar of Gerber baby food sold in Southern California was found to have been contaminated with non-lethal amounts of the poison ricin, authorities said on Wednesday.

In two separate incidents, parents in Irvine, California discovered notes inside jars of Gerber banana yogurt warning that the food was contaminated, an FBI spokeswoman said.

The FBI did not specify how many jars of food tested positive for the potentially fatal poison. The FBI spokeswoman said no one had been arrested in the case.

Local television news reported that police planned to name a "person of interest" at a news conference set for 3 p.m. PDT (6 p.m. EDT).

A Gerber spokesman was not immediately available for comment. Gerber Products Company is a unit of pharmaceutical giant Novartis AG.NVS.N> .

On May 31, a couple brought their 9-month-old girl to an Irvine hospital after she ate from a jar that contained the first note, police said.

Three weeks later, an Irvine man called police to report finding a similar note inside a jar of Gerber banana yogurt that he had been feeding his 1-year-old son. Neither child was harmed by the food, police said.

Both notes also mentioned an Irvine police officer, but authorities were unsure whether the person who tampered with the baby food meant to retaliate against the officer.

Neither of the families who purchased the tainted food had any connection to the officer, police said.

The FBI and the Food and Drug Administration have opened investigations into the incidents, and Irvine police alerted local markets to remove the food from their shelves.

Article

Baby food? crying.gif

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wunarmdscissor

• Talon

• DC09

• AtticusBlueprint

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh man,I really gotta stop eating that stuff sad.gif

What the hell have the babies done?!!?! They are probably the only innnocents on the planet and someone is willing to harm then!!! It really is a sad world with disgusting people inhabiting it. crying.gif

What the hell have the babies done?!!?! They are probably the only innnocents on the planet and someone is willing to harm then!!! It really is a sad world with disgusting people inhabiting it. crying.gif

when was it, years ago, that a load of baby-food by Nestle (I think) heading for African children as emergency assistance, was found to be expired or anyway non-suitable for use..

There are ppl who would sell their own mother if the profit was good enogh.. sad.gif

cool theres a place called Irvine in america too , i think we scots named half your country. grin2.gif

Man, that's just sick. Who would do that to innocent babies? I hope they catch the rat b***ard!!!

This really upsets me. It better not have anything to do with terrorism. disgust.gif

In Wal-Mart we send Baby food to our stores in the same containers as bleaches, cause they are both considered non-edibles. rolleyes.gif

In Wal-Mart we send Baby food to our stores in the same containers as bleaches, cause they are both considered non-edibles.

Are you serious? blink.gif

Are you serious? 

Well we dont have wall mart so i highly doubt it lol.

Are you serious?

Of course, I work there

Well we dont have wall mart so i highly doubt it lol.

Wal-Mart over here is called Asda.

yeah i know about the take over an all that but i did think you were kiddin on

I remember Asda.

I miss the good old Britian shoppers.