Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Record-breaking 14ft 3in alligator caught

Still Waters

One of the largest alligators in the world has been caught in Florida.

The gator, trapped by hunter Tres Ammerman on Halloween night, measures 14ft 3.5ins - breaking the state record.

It's believed the beast, which weighed 654 pounds is between 50 and 60-years-old.

The last state record was set back in 1997 and the alligator was just over 14ft.

Mr Ammerman's find, caught just west of Melbourne, is three inches longer.

The hunter is planning to sell his catch to a taxidermist at $1,000 a foot, netting him in excess of $14,000.

He said: 'I feel like I hit the lottery. I do, it's just amazing.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Why does everything have to come down to money! :no:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SolarPlexus

• The Unseen

• UFreak

• Myles

It will actually help the co-system in the long run.

It p***es me off that such a amazing, powerful carnivore is harpooned and sold by the feet-length of it's body to be stuffed and put on display. For **** sakes, it's 50-60 years old.

Not against hunting over-all, but you only eat the tail of an alliGATOR...Finding one of historic presence would be cause for considerations, I think. Killing anything for 3+ hours is pretty ****ing sick, much less one that would be a "prize" catch. I understand some fishing "lands" take a long time too, but this read like torture too much.

There is a population arguement, its weak but it there, still this seems like a sh*tty story the way its printed. Take your .30 with you and end it; Dragging a body for 2 hours seems avoidable.

Edited by UFreak

Although at first thought this seems sad, it's just hunting.

Some don't like it and some do.

It's legal.

You can eat more than the tail of the an alligator. All the meat is edible. We blame the guy who caught it but if there was not a market for it nobody would be hunting them. The meat is sold for consumption, the skins are sold for leather products, the skulls and such are sold to collectors, etc... How many of you eat steak, or have a pair of leather shoes, or a leather belt, or have leather seats in your car? Its the same thing, just a different animal.

Mike

The hunter is planning to sell his catch to a taxidermist at $1,000 a foot, netting him in excess of $14,000.

He said: 'I feel like I hit the lottery. I do, it's just amazing.'

Lmao barbarian

You can eat more than the tail of the an alligator. All the meat is edible. We blame the guy who caught it but if there was not a market for it nobody would be hunting them. The meat is sold for consumption, the skins are sold for leather products, the skulls and such are sold to collectors, etc... How many of you eat steak, or have a pair of leather shoes, or a leather belt, or have leather seats in your car? Its the same thing, just a different animal.

Mike

I understand the uses, and I've had alligator meat (never anything more than the tail though). I eat steak/chicken/fish/cat/toucan/Komodo Dragon and the rest, too. I dont think you kill anything for 3+ hours!....and the way the story rolled out in that article, it sounds bad.

I'm not against Hunting, or raising food for me to eat!...If they kill a Cow for 3 hours, I think that would suck too!

This story is just another example of human ignorance. There is nothing wrong with killing an animal properly, but torturing it first, is not necessary. This story is salacious. If this animal was already 60 yrs old, then why not let it be.

thats so tragicomic a grandpa alligator lmao

This story is just another example of human ignorance. There is nothing wrong with killing an animal properly, but torturing it first, is not necessary. This story is salacious. If this animal was already 60 yrs old, then why not let it be.

I don't think it told anyone how old it was.

I'm kinda wishing in the fight after being harpooned that the Gator would have 'hunted' this guy. Bit off his leg or something. What a waste of a life. F^&K money.<_<:angry:

Look at me Ma me got a 'gattor in the backyard cowboy.gif .... ima get one of them nice croc boots Yes siree ... we hit the loterry yeehaaw lmfao

Says he sold animal for 1000.00 a foot to a taxidermist. What a sucker. That taxidermist will stuff it and sell it to some insanely rich miami guido for over 100k.

An alligator has no problem eating us, 60 years old or otherwise, I say lets keep humans on the top of the food chain!

Lol?

Humans love to conquer and kill. Take everything, strip every resource, take no time to understand the eco-system. People will argue anything that justifies their actions.

The answer here is simple: this is Florida. I'm not originally from Florida but I live here now and I can tell you the people love nothing more than to kill things, plain and simple. If you don't hunt or at least own a gun, then you have no friends. Once you get away from the coasts and major cities/tourist areas, that's the way it is.

An alligator has no problem eating us, 60 years old or otherwise, I say lets keep humans on the top of the food chain!

Lol?

It was a response to another post earlier in the thread, lol.

Do you really think that we have problems staying at the top of the food chain?? By following such paranoid logic, we might as well exterminate anything that moves. The extinction of various species during the last couple of centuries is just a by-product of modern human's lifestyle. We are capable of exterminating entire species, not just killing, only in the process of sustaining our lifestyle alone. So that's not enough?

I mean i don't blame the guy, he simply saw cash in that croc, just saying ...

Edited by SolarPlexus

• 2 weeks later...