Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Little people in the OR woods

Ryan Ronning

My dad once told me about an experience he had while logging in Bly Oregon. If anyone here has not heard of Bly it is a weird place to start with it is known where I am from as the Oregon Bly-angle. It is the sight of the only casualty in the lower 48 during WW2 as a result of a balloon Bomb courtesy of the Japanese. A terrorist training camp was busted there after the start of the Afghan war. It is also the site of many Sasquatch sightings.

According to my dad him and his crew were working in the woods between Bly and Beatty during the winter. He and the other two on the crew were falling timber for several weeks up there. All three of them hated the job terribly because in their own words the are was very spooky and they always felt as though they were being watched. After a couple of weeks on job they said that on one or two occasions when they would stop for lunch they would sit on fresh cut stumps (rather then the snow) and eat lunch as it was too far to walk to the trucks. Anyway they said that they thought they were hearing voices in the woods but were not sure. THey were very faint and was not any recognizable language. THey dismissed it as being the result of hearing the chainsaws all day, being very cold and being tired. However over the next week the voices got louder and more frequent. To the point where they could hear them over the chainsaws. All of them could now hear it. They figured there could be know one else up there as they were far in the mountains. It was snowing every night and there were never any tracks on the road up to the job (which they had to build because there was not one to start with. Also the job was far to far up in the woods to walk cross country from the nearest road not to mention that the snow was generally over knee deep. In the end all three of them got so nerve racked that they ended up quitting the job and have not worked in the area since. THey all agree that the voices were not menacing, it just sounded like conversation but it was still to spooked for them to handle, all of them being very grounded and open minded.

Years latter I am 17 and I am working for the Forest Circus and my boss is an older Native American lady who is still very traditional in the ways of her people and happens to be from the area. I remembered the story and one day I ask her about it. She knew instantly what I was talking about and proceeded to tell me a legend of her people (The Klamath Tribe) about a race of very small people that inhabit the woods in the area. They are like guardians of the woods and are not menacing. Know one ever sees them but they can be heard speaking in tongues. They were around long before people were there. She told me what they were called but after so many years I can not remember.

Does anyone here know anything about them and what they are called.

• Like 5

THey all agree that the voices were not menacing, it just sounded like conversation but it was still to spooked for them to handle, all of them being very grounded and open minded.

Years latter I am 17 and I am working for the Forest Circus and my boss is an older Native American lady who is still very traditional in the ways of her people and happens to be from the area. I remembered the story and one day I ask her about it. She knew instantly what I was talking about and proceeded to tell me a legend of her people (The Klamath Tribe) about a race of very small people that inhabit the woods in the area. They are like guardians of the woods and are not menacing. Know one ever sees them but they can be heard speaking in tongues. They were around long before people were there. She told me what they were called but after so many years I can not remember.

Maybe they were smurfs speaking in german lol

My dad once told me about an experience he had while logging in Bly Oregon. If anyone here has not heard of Bly it is a weird place to start with it is known where I am from as the Oregon Bly-angle. It is the sight of the only casualty in the lower 48 during WW2 as a result of a balloon Bomb courtesy of the Japanese. A terrorist training camp was busted there after the start of the Afghan war. It is also the site of many Sasquatch sightings.

According to my dad him and his crew were working in the woods between Bly and Beatty during the winter. He and the other two on the crew were falling timber for several weeks up there. All three of them hated the job terribly because in their own words the are was very spooky and they always felt as though they were being watched. After a couple of weeks on job they said that on one or two occasions when they would stop for lunch they would sit on fresh cut stumps (rather then the snow) and eat lunch as it was too far to walk to the trucks. Anyway they said that they thought they were hearing voices in the woods but were not sure. THey were very faint and was not any recognizable language. THey dismissed it as being the result of hearing the chainsaws all day, being very cold and being tired. However over the next week the voices got louder and more frequent. To the point where they could hear them over the chainsaws. All of them could now hear it. They figured there could be know one else up there as they were far in the mountains. It was snowing every night and there were never any tracks on the road up to the job (which they had to build because there was not one to start with. Also the job was far to far up in the woods to walk cross country from the nearest road not to mention that the snow was generally over knee deep. In the end all three of them got so nerve racked that they ended up quitting the job and have not worked in the area since. THey all agree that the voices were not menacing, it just sounded like conversation but it was still to spooked for them to handle, all of them being very grounded and open minded.

Nice story and thanks. I've heard a lot of similar stories from all over the world. Thanks again.
  • Like 1

What a strange experience your Dad had. Thanks for sharing it with us. Stories like this are most intriguing. I hope someone will comment with the name of the small-people of that region. It'd be interesting to learn about the legends and lore that go along with them. :)

• Like 1

That is what I am hoping for. I really want to find the name so that I can research it my self. My dad is kinda anti social so I know he didnt say it for attention plus I dont think he really told anyone else anyway.

Oh, native american folk lore is not my forte..

But I've seen them called little people, brownies (not the word itself, but rather that tribes version of the word), Rock people, laurel people, dogwood people, and Geow-lud-mo-sis-eg is the only really specific name I've come across..

Sorry if this isn't too helpful..

• Like 1

i would like to add one small tidbit... im a former logger and ive been in the woods plenty. any logger, hunter, outdoorsman will tell you that tree's creak and moan in the wind all the time. perhaps this is what the men heard.

I spent 5 years going to college in Klamath Falls and knew a few Klamath Indians. None of them that I spoke with ever mentioned any little people. Is that Lodgepole forest or is it douglas fir/desiduous forest like on the west side of the cascades?

Very interesting story.

Little people are pretty common in Native American myths. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_people_(mythology)

I'd be more likely to believe it was some local hippy trying to scare off loggers then for it to be the Wind. Could be some hippy had his Magic Forest hidden out there nearby and wanted to chase off the loggers.

Funny to see that you have created this topic Ryan, because yesterday i was listening to a 2 hours podcast about Urban Legends, and at one point in the podcast they were talking about little creatures, about 2-3 feet tall, red in color, looking a little bit like Elmo.

I don't remember the name of the creatures or the place the sightings took place, i'll have to listen to the podcast again.

Very cool story. But I am really kind hoping it does turn out to be The Smurfs, I had a thing for Smurfette when I was young :wub:

But in all seriousness I have heard stories of Fairies, Brownies and Elfs and other little creatures living in woods. Mostly of course in Fairy Tales and then also Urban Legend/Folklore Stories..friend of a friend's cousin had a weird experiance in the woods as a Boy Scout.

Edited by svenshoegazer

Very cool story. But I am really kind hoping it does turn out to be The Smurfs, I had a thing for Smurfette when I was young :wub:

But in all seriousness I have heard stories of Fairies, Brownies and Elfs and other little creatures living in woods. Mostly of course in Fairy Tales and then also Urban Legend/Folklore Stories..friend of a friend's cousin had a weird experiance in the woods as a Boy Scout.

The Smurfs have a movie coming out....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0472181/

Edit: Katy Perry voices Smurfette.

Edited by DieChecker

Little People......

This is funny , a true story I tell people when we are camping , or talking about camping in Nevada...

As usual , I will shorten this up a lot.....

Camping at Pyramid Lake :

59-PyramidLk-NV.jpg

The lake is on a Pauite Indian Reservation.It is very popular for the huge Trout , and camping , jet skiing...I used to race Jet skis there.

One weekend , just me and the wife camping...Around 11 PM...A car rolls up , guy inside says " very nice night isn't it"....We invite him to the fire for beer and company..He was a Native of Pyramid Lake...There are quite a few "legends" there , so I ask about the " water babies" ( legend of its own)...He talks about that , and goes on to talk about " Big Hairy People" , and that there used to be " little people" about 2-3 feet tall that lived on the East Bank......These are what he said were " water babies"...More on this below....

This is where I found your story cool , his exact name for them was " little people" , with his arm out showing how tall they were.....

Anyway , that was short version.....Will add a couple of the legends there.....

Long, long ago, all the people of this land were animals. The ruler of this land was the wolf, who was a wise and good ruler. His brother, the coyote, was very tricky and caused his brother the wolf a great deal of trouble. One day,the father of all the Indians came to this area and lived on a mountain near Stillwater, Nevada. He was special...a very great and good man...

Later, a woman who lived in a different part of this country heard aboutthis man. This woman, who had a bear for a husband, thought about the Indian man all the time. She hoped that someday she might be able to see him becauseshe had heard what a wise and good man he was. One day she and the bear had afight.

She decided to leave the bear and come to the man whom she had heard so much about. Her experiences on the trip to see this wise and wonderful man were many. As she traveled, she left her footprints in the rocks along the shore of Mono Lake and one day she met a giant by Yerington, Nevada. This giant tried toeat her but she managed to kill him. The Indians believed his body turned to stone. After many days, she arrived at Stillwater Mountain.

When she first caught sight of the man ruler, she was filled with awe. He was so handsome, she hid from him at first. He saw her tracks and called toher. After awhile, she gathered enough courage to come out from hiding. He toldher to sit down and eat some soup. It was the best she had ever eaten. She stayed by the fire that night. The next night she slept closer to him. On theninth night they were married. They had many children. The first was a boy andhe was a very mean person. The children could not seem to get along. They fought and argued all the time.

Then one day when they were very, very unruly, the father called themtogether to talk to them. He told them that he had the power to separate themwith one word. They began fighting before he had finished talking.

The father became very angry. He said to them, ÒI am going to separate you and then I am going up to the sky to my home. When you die you will come up tome. All you will have to do is follow that path and you will reach my home.Someday I hope you will all come to your senses and live together in peace andstop this fighting.

He took the oldest boy and gave him one of the girls and sent him west. They became the Pitt River Indians. He sent another couple east and they became theBannocks.

The remainder of the group he kept at home and they became the Northern Paiute. Then he went up to the mountain to his home in the sky.

The woman felt so bad that she began to weep bitterly. She missed herchildren so much, but remained with her children, the Paiutes. The Paiutes grew into a strong tribe and became the most powerful group in the country. But thePaiute mother still grieved for her lost children, especially the Pitt River Indians, who were so poor that she cried more and more each day.

One day, she decided to sit near a mountain where she could look towards the Pitt River Country. She sat there day after day and shecried and cried. Her tears fell so fast and so much that they formed a greatlake beneath her. This body of water became Pyramid Lake. She sat there so longshe turned to stone. There she may be found today. She is the stone mother of Pyramid Lake and she carries her burden basket at her side.

SC_Stone_Mother_at_Pyramid_Lake_Nev.jpg&t=1

There are different versions of this story....The one below is from the Natives there......The one below this is what I was told by the man at our campsite....

Californiacoast. While there, one of the Paiute sons met and fell in love with a mermaid-like creature. He was determined to marry her, and brought her back to Pyramid Lake with him to meet his fellow tribe members. Upon seeing the strange creature, the Paiute tribe members insisted that he take her back to the ocean.But before they left, the rejected creature put a curse on the water.

Shortly thereafter, two sisters were washing clothes in the river. One sister had a small infant who she left in the shadeof a large tree while she did her chores. Unbeknownst to the sisters, a serpent emerged from the river, eating the baby and assuming its form. When the young mother went to feed her child, the demonic infant began to devour the young mother. After the poor mother's sister and several tribe members failed to make the baby release its grip, a Medicine Man was summoned. A fateful deal wasmade: the demon would be free to inhabit the lake if the young mother was restored to health.

Reno mythbusters and ghost hunters are still baffled by the paranormal presence that looms over Pyramid Lake. People still report that they hear the dejected cries of an invisible baby or the laughter of ghostly children. Such noises constitute a bad omen, according to the PyramidLake natives. As one Paiute man tells it, "If you hear it, it's bad news;if you see it, you're dead!" All I can tell you is if you're planning a trip to Pyramid Lake, it's best to fish near the shoreline. Better yet, admirethe beauty of the lake from a far yet safe distance, and move on.

I can not get this page to print , or to copy/paste.....It is the only place I can find on water babies being " dwarves"....This is what the Indian told us.....So , it was straight from the horses mouth......http://books.google.com/books?id=QotyuGNrklEC&pg=PA44&lpg=PA44&dq=paiute+water+babies+legend&source=bl&ots=cmie7361Pz&sig=-c6ER0A_rtPlZ-NUmmGY1-YkIsg&hl=en&ei=nnTYTO31DI6isAOxw4mNCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CC8Q6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=paiute%20water%20babies%20legend&f=false

Edited do to the " YOU MUST ENTER A POST ".....Is anyone else getting this all the time?..Pardon the no spaces , etc. , but after copy/pasting to Word to save ( I spent 25 minutes on this ) when I FINALLY was able to post this , it came out with major errors...

I could not put in links , they seemed to cause this awesome " you must enter a post" problem....It is getting very old...

Edited by Sakari

Another one that mentions " little people"

In 2003, I ran across a website with notes on some anthropological research in the Margaret M. Wheat (1908-1988) Papers, Special Collections, University of Nevada's Reno Library. This library archive includes a large audio collection of interviews that Wheat set up with Paiute from northern Nevada. Of particular interest, the site related several brief points in interviews where folkloric creatures were described. As the website has long since disappeared, these stories (though brief) may be useful to researchers investigating mystery animals in this region. They also suggest that anthropological interviews held in libraries across the country may be an untapped source of cryptozoological information.

"

They came along the road with that blind woman. She had stick. They make her walk on good side, so she won't fall. Walk along slow. Way down here by Sutcliffe somewhere. They walk along slow and they heard a splashing noise, way down. Lot of noise going on. They wonder what that noise is. The young ladies leave that old lady stay there, tell her they going to see what that noise is. They peeked at it. Here was two little human beings, water babies. Tiny people, short, naked ones. Got no clothes on. Dark hair all hanging down. They stood there, look at them so surprised. They know it's water babies. One of those little water babies look back and saw those ladies looking at them. And he get so scared, run to the water and splash into the lake and the other followed and they go way in there and never come up again ... that woman right away know. She whisper slow, 'That's a nini'i. Let's go quick.' They kept on walking faster 'cause they got so scared ... there is such a thing in our lake. Long time ago when everything's quiet. Now all gone 'cause too much noise and smell. Funny kind of car smell. Snake, they don't like that (either). They disappear or died off"

My link

Edited by Sakari

Sounds like a MD urban legend about a midget town called "Zoobieville."

"They say the midgets will come out and attack your car with baseball bats and rocks. I've been there several times and have yet to see any existence of people living there. The houses are very very small. The mailboxes are only maybe 1-1 1/2 foot high rather then the traditional 3ft+. As for the doorways to the house, maybe 3-4 ft high. It's actually quite interesting to see. If they live there, they sure hide well when they see cars come in."

http://weirdmaryland.blogspot.com/2007/03/never-dull-moment.html

Ben Macdhui in Scotland. Voices and music have been reported. So it's an inter-continental phenomenon.

Strangely enough one lady, a very credible witness heard the ethereal voices and thought they were similar to Gaelic but not Gaelic. She could not translate it.

Reported in the book 'The Big Grey Man of Ben Macdhui'.

Some of this phenomenon is air being forced through gaps in rocks, wind related sounds. makes noises like music and voices sometimes. Some but not all of these experiences can be explained by natural phenomenon.

Edited by lismore
  • Like 2

In latin america there are little beings called "duendes"

Thanks everybody for all the links and info that you all have posted. I feel I have something to go off of now and start a little research.

In case any one is interested the story is very vaguely mentioned on the Bly Oregon Wikipedia page.

Thanks everybody for all the links and info that you all have posted. I feel I have something to go off of now and start a little research.

In case any one is interested the story is very vaguely mentioned on the Bly Oregon Wikipedia page.

The chattering aspect got me interested too. It reminded me of a recent case in Australia where Tommy witnessed something strange which gave him nightmares. He also said that he heard what sounded like people and kids talking or something. I believe it's the chatter of herbivores which they use for reassurance, abit like the monkey's which eat grass in south america(??) Here's the UM thread Green Man in Parramatta Park? Traumatizing encounter with a strange being
Just maybe half an hour ago, me and my friend (username 'biorez') were walking along the outskirts of Parramatta Park in Sydney (the park is a minute's walk from my house). It was sprinkling, though now it is pouring rain and storming pretty bad. Anyways, we were walking alongside a deserted creek, when we started hearing noises. Some sounded like a train, although there was no train track near that area, and some sounded like children's voices, even though I am positive that it was just me and my friend in that creek.

We pulled out of the area, and frantically started trying to assess the situation. We were trying to think rationally, but we couldn't help but believe that it was something way out of the ordinary. We came back to the creek, and started hearing more noises. They were much the same, and we weren't really panicking that much, when I look straight ahead and could have SWORN that I saw a dark figure, standing on it's hind legs, walk past the treeline about 5 metres ahead of us. I almost hyperventilated, an we started sprinting back to a nearby gazebo. We discussed whether we should go back to my friend's place (about 300 metres from the park, and facing it as well), or if we should run back to the creek, and investigate once more.

And so we did, and we started seeing more shadows and hearing more unnatural, un-suburbian noises. At this point, it started raining heavily, and we saw a gargantuan storm cloud approaching. we decided to bolt back to my friend's place. We started running in the opposite direction of the creek. I turned my head for a split second, and that was all I needed...

...and then I saw him. A Green man. He looked to be wearing something green, covering his hair (if he had any), but it almost looked like it was attached to his skull. He did not have a shirt on, and he had dark green skin. A darker texture than whatever was on his head. He looked like he had some sort of dead furred animal over his shoulder, and in the opposite hand, he was carrying what looked like some sort of long, melee weapon. Possibly a staff or a stick. He was looking out from under the creek, therefore I did not see his lower half. He had big bulgy black eyes STICKING, LITERALLY STICKING out of his head. Like a GRASSHOPPER! he had a mouth where his chin was supposed to be. And he had a normal looking nose, although I did not see any nostrils, but that's most likely due to the fact that I was at a distance. He then raised what must've been his eyebrows, and gave me a sort of 'where are you going' look. He then appeared to have shrugged, then turned and walked away. He did not have ears. Where his ears were supposed to be, it was just blank.

I stood there in shock, hyperventilating. I lost all bodily functions for about half a minute, while biorez was yelling 'we have to go! come on we have to go!' I then started running like there was no tomorrow. Now I sit here at my friend's computer, still sort of in shock, but sane enough to post this report.

Can someone PLEASE tell me WHAT THE HELL DID I SEE?

i once seen a show years ago PSI Factor: Chronicles of the Paranormal+in one episode it was about a group of little people.Who had been around for centuries living underground.ANY one else seen the show

I live in Canada and my home reservation Is located about 800+ miles in Northern Ontario. We have stories from the older people of little people that come out during the winter. Once I was walking down a road with my older cousin (she was about 25 at the time). The roads are pitch black unless there is a moonlight or lights coming from a house. As we were walking in the darkness we heard little fast footsteps near us. We thought It was the town dogs running on the hard ice roads until we heard them speaking In a different language which our great grandmother had known about. There has been a lot of these stories in our towns up there. They say certain tribes throughout North America are related to them. They are friendly and curios people.

• Like 1

I live in Canada and my home reservation Is located about 800+ miles in Northern Ontario. We have stories from the older people of little people that come out during the winter. Once I was walking down a road with my older cousin (she was about 25 at the time). The roads are pitch black unless there is a moonlight or lights coming from a house. As we were walking in the darkness we heard little fast footsteps near us. We thought It was the town dogs running on the hard ice roads until we heard them speaking In a different language which our great grandmother had known about. There has been a lot of these stories in our towns up there. They say certain tribes throughout North America are related to them. They are friendly and curios people.

Hi Kanata,

Where abouts is your home comunity? I have heard stories of similar type humanoids . . . just curious to know where your stories took place.