Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Little people in the OR woods

Ryan Ronning

Oh, native american folk lore is not my forte..

But I've seen them called little people, brownies (not the word itself, but rather that tribes version of the word), Rock people, laurel people, dogwood people, and Geow-lud-mo-sis-eg is the only really specific name I've come across..

Sorry if this isn't too helpful..

Or the fabelled Singing Forrest Hyrax, as a certain member on here would call them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately we've mowed down all of the forests here with just a few isolated pockets of original forests left.

Also with the massive forest fires we've had over the decades, it's hard to believe anything has remained hidden in them.

That isn't to say that there might not be tales passed down through Native American groups of 'little people', as in very short people like pygmies, from hundreds of years prior.

I remember recently reading about some skeletons, I think it was skeletons (I can't remember much about the piece I read), or evidence of a very small pygmy like group of native americans somewhere in the west of the US, long dead now, but there were tales from other Native American groups in the area that said they existed.

What I'm saying, is that given the fact that pygmies in Africa are a very real people, and not long extinct skeletons of even smaller 'hobbit' like people have been found in the Pacific islands, it's not too hard to imagine that a group of pygmy Native Americans existed at some point in time.

Edited by TheSpoonyOne

• 11 months later...

Wow is has been exactly one year since the last post in this thread. I just re-read every post in here. Some of the accounts are very creepy to say the least. All are worth reading though. I am very thankful that you all read my account and expanded on it as apposed to belittling me which is so often the case on some site's. I am still very interested in learning more about this subject an would love to hear more accounts. I myself have had almost no luck in finding more information.

The knowledge used by medicine people comes from other medicine people who came before them and handed down their 'medicine' to chosen ones. They train for many years and the medicine formulas, songs and other rites are handwritten in ledgers which have been handed down over time. We are told that the Cherokee Medicine People travel to the rock caves to meet with the Little People and share in their secrets. Medicine people are still today an integral part of the traditional Cherokee lifestyle.

Link

• Like 1

My wife swears she saw some little people while hiking in the Mount Rainer area.

Personally, I think she is half blind, and crazy. After all she thinks I'm handsome, and she married me...soooo.

Edited by evancj
  • Like 2

I have not heard of any reports of them!

Over the past hundred years nearly every forest in my state has had at least one major fire. The fires in the early 20th century dwarfed many we have today now that we have highly trained fire crews and equipment to fight them. A fire of a hundred thousand acres would happen every few years although we have had one of the largest ever this year (about 750,000 acres). In all these fires we haven't come across any little humans or big Bigfoots.

Do you think that someone walked each of those hundreds of thousands of acres? Or perhaps just the perimeter?

My wife swears she saw some little people while hiking in the Mount Rainer area.

Personally, I think she is half blind, and crazy. After all she thinks I'm hansom, and she married me...soooo.

You're building a good case for insanity all right.

• Like 1

Well evan, she's a woman of despicable I mean impeccable taste.... errr or something like that LOL

While researching the different Cherokee clans and legends, I was reminded of when I was growng up in St.Louis when a friend of mine and I used to follow this creek that was behind his house. We'd find crawdad's, salamanders, and fossils of shells. As we got older we would get braver and go farther. When we were about 12 we went farther than we ever had previously. We came upon an undeveloped area and was exploring it. I heard what I thought was someone talking. I would go to where I thought the talking was coming from and no one was there. This happened about 3 times. So being the mini skeptic I was, before we headed back home, I just looked at the creek, and said "oh that's what they mean by "babbling brook" LOL

Edited by Stardrive

This thread makes me want to revisit this movie again (I see that they did a remake in 2011).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Be_Afraid_of_the_Dark_(1973_film)

OP I would try searching out "disembodied voices in woods" (or variation) than just little people.

You never know if a plot of land may have had an event predating recorded history that some how echoes thru space,and time?

The rational explanations in this thread sound most likely.

• Like 1

This thread makes me want to revisit this movie again (I see that they did a remake in 2011).

http://en.wikipedia....Dark_(1973_film)

OP I would try searching out "disembodied voices in woods" (or variation) than just little people.

You never know if a plot of land may have had an event predating recorded history that some how echoes thru space,and time?

The rational explanations in this thread sound most likely.

I think your link is busted. It was pointing to a different wiki page. You probably meant to point it at Don't be Afraid of the Dark?

• 4 years later...

I just got back from Mt.Rainer National Park where I attempted a solo expedition of the Wonderland Trail.

I heard voices frequently as I walked.  Nothing spooky, it was like a business discussion in conversational tone in the next room.  It was comforting.

So I asked God what I was hearing, and felt like it was the guardian angels of the forest and forest creatures.  I got the sense that I was hearing their custodial conversations but almost nothing to do with me.

They were mostly concerned with the well being of the forest and were forest guardians.  They were if anything amused with me as I was not so much an intruder or a threat but an obvious explorer also somewhat in need of guidance and protection.

At several points I felt impressions from them to go right or left in the snow.  At one point I thought to myself, "it would be nice to have a belt for these new Columbia rain pants..."  Felt an angel receive the assignment from the Lord, and around the next bend in the trail there was a belt.  Turned out to be perfect material and size.

Just saying it happened.. not asking you to believe me but it is all true.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bridgexplorer said:

Holy Smokes, thanks for sharing. It prompted it  me to go back and read the OP from 2010.

I am thinking some kind of nature spirits charged with the health of the forest. I am thinking ethereal (the plane closest to the physical) beings. Other places of the world have elves and gnomes stories that have similarities.

• Thanks 1

I just got back from Mt.Rainer National Park where I attempted a solo expedition of the Wonderland Trail.

I heard voices frequently as I walked.  Nothing spooky, it was like a business discussion in conversational tone in the next room.  It was comforting.

So I asked God what I was hearing, and felt like it was the guardian angels of the forest and forest creatures.  I got the sense that I was hearing their custodial conversations but almost nothing to do with me.

They were mostly concerned with the well being of the forest and were forest guardians.  They were if anything amused with me as I was not so much an intruder or a threat but an obvious explorer also somewhat in need of guidance and protection.

At several points I felt impressions from them to go right or left in the snow.  At one point I thought to myself, "it would be nice to have a belt for these new Columbia rain pants..."  Felt an angel receive the assignment from the Lord, and around the next bend in the trail there was a belt.  Turned out to be perfect material and size.

Pretty sure they were angels and angelic custodial discussions on the protection and maintenance of the forest.  Somewhere in a fourth dimension but close by.  The forest is holy and sacred, it is easy to feel the presence of the guardian angels of the woodland tells.

My belief anyway.  Be open to heaven invading earth in that sacred space.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bridgexplorer said:

Pretty sure they were angels and angelic custodial discussions on the protection and maintenance of the forest.  Somewhere in a fourth dimension but close by.  The forest is holy and sacred, it is easy to feel the presence of the guardian angels of the woodland tells.

My belief anyway.  Be open to heaven invading earth in that sacred space.

I like this, but am in an esoteric mood today LOL. I chose to live out remotely in the bayou and at night I can go out and lean on the truck and look up at the stars over the pines and feel closer to heaven than anywhere else in the world. Out there, on a good night, you can believe in nearly anything. Talk about interface. You could talk with anyone you wanted to, out there ;)  so I get what you are saying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I like this, but am in an esoteric mood today LOL. I chose to live out remotely in the bayou and at night I can go out and lean on the truck and look up at the stars over the pines and feel closer to heaven than anywhere else in the world. Out there, on a good night, you can believe in nearly anything. Talk about interface. You could talk with anyone you wanted to, out there ;)  so I get what you are saying.

I can identify with this 100%.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In Texas they also have little fairies in the woods type stories.  

• Like 5

We have the Yunwi Tsunsdi here in Appalachia, little people about knee high, who live in caves on the mountainsides according to legend.

• Like 4

On 11/7/2010 at 11:16 PM, Ryan Ronning said:

Does anyone here know anything about them and what they are called.

Warm Springs people call them  Stick Indians.  The Lakota have little people stories too.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2018 at 1:05 AM, Tatetopa said:

Stick Indians by the way are not so benign. They lead people astray.

Or they're really good at directing traffic and people accidentally get caught up in it.