Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Possible Megalodon in Mariana trench

Talon

Just found this on google. The info is actually a few months old, but I can't find any mention of it on the site using search so I guess nobodies commented on it.

Possible Megalodon in Mariana trench

The deepest portion of the Pacific Ocean, the Challenger Deep, is located in the Mariana Trench in the western Pacific.

Recently, Japanese researchers have conducted an interesting experiment in the Suruga Bay, not far from the Mariana Trench, the deepest spot in the World Ocean.

The researchers put a container with some smelly bait on the bay bottom. A special video camera was attached to the wall of the container. The researchers peered into monitors to see what would happen with the container and the bait.

The smell of the bait attracted a shoal of deep-water sharks. But then the researchers saw something incredible that left them speechless. Suddenly the sharks scattered in all directions and researchers saw an incredibly huge monster on the screens of their monitors.

The giant slowly soared before the video camera at a depth of about 1.5 kilometers. The length of the sea Goliath was over 60 meters (more than 180 feet). It was not clear what the giant was in fact.

Researchers failed to answer the question, just made conjectures concerning what the creature may be. They said that might be a sleeping shark, the largest shark . Even now people know just few facts about these sharks.

They have been hiding in the dark ocean deeps for millions of years. People have never seen live sleeping sharks as well as giant squids. Only once, in 1964, a bulk of a dead sleeping shark was cast ashore in Indonesia; it was just a very young shark judging by its size of 26 meters. ..PRAVDA 9/20/03

"Scientists still do not know what they saw, registered and filmed and not a single frame has been released. If it was a giant shark Megalodon is a good candidate, even though this monster is thought to have died out 170 million years ago; see our features Megalodon the Monster Shark and New Evidence for Megalodon.

If it was a classical sea serpent it´s easy to understand why the Japanese scientist´s are cautious and would like to analyze the video footage very careful before releasing it to the world."

GUST

Just of note, the Mariana trench was were the Meg Trilogy by Steve Alten placed the place Megalodons had been hidding.

Very interesting article Talon. The waters are full of mysterious things, can you imagine draning all the seas, lakes and everything like that and looking what was present? The water based creatures are some of the most amazing, and I have not heard of a sleeping shark before so I will look those up.

Has anyone tried looking for giant squid down there?

We were talking about this a while ago on Cryptozoology.com. I've been waiting for some kind of follow up story but haven't seen anything yet. As yet nobody seems to able to find out anything on these Japanese Researchers either..

Has anyone tried looking for giant squid down there?

As much as I like Megalodon stories, I think a giant Squid is a more likely canidate for what this thing was than a Meg, I'm just going with what GUST says.

We were talking about this a while ago on Cryptozoology.com. I've been waiting for some kind of follow up story but haven't seen anything yet. As yet nobody seems to able to find out anything on these Japanese Researchers either..

I read on the site I got this from, which in turn got it from GUST; 'Take anything connected with GUST with a pinch of salt.' tongue.gif However, I did get two sources before posting it just in case GUST were making it up... only thing is, both get there info from GUST itself huh.gif .

Source 1

Source 2

I. Would. KILL to see that footage.

60 feet long. Gosh. Even if it was a giant squid as you say Talon, the largest Giant ever seen, dead of course, was 40something feet long including it's tentacles.

This 'sleeping shark' is the Megadolon? I've never heard of it before except in perhistoric accounts..

60 meters burnside...

over 180 feet

ohmy.gifwacko.gif

God, someone get me that footage!!!!!!

I'd pay a lot to see this thing! I always thought that the megalodons could have somehow survived...but he must be HUGE! It would be so cool to see this guy...(See from a distance, or through a video, of course. blink.gif )

Just as another question, what is a 'Sleeping Shark?' Is that another name for a Megalodon or is it another shark all together? Never heard of it...

This 'sleeping shark' is the Megadolon? I've never heard of it before except in perhistoric accounts..

No, the Sleeper is a deep water species of which there is no doubt lives. The post thinks it might be one of those, its GUST that are saying Megalodon because Sleepers arn't thought to get that big.

I think btw the 26 metres thing is nonsense, I beleive its suppost to be 26 ft. And I'm was sure the Whale Shark at 35 ft was suppost to be the largest shark, not the sleeper. huh.gif

Here's a Link I found on Google, says 25 feet (7.6m) is the largest, with 12 ft being the average, so the 26 metres is definately a missprint.

Whatever that thing done there is, its definately not a Sleeper Shark

Edited by Talon S.

I remember seeing on the Discovery Channel once a Sharks tooth that was, well, very big.

Bend your arm. The tooth was the size of your bent arm, from the wrist to the elbow to the shoulder. It was an extinct species but well, what if these species never went extinct, just moved so far down into the ocean that there's no way we can get down that far and see what's there..

A megs tooth is like a Great Whites but the size of hand. However there are tons of extinct shark species, althlough meg was supost to be the biggest.

user posted image

God knows what the shark your tooth came from would have been like...

user posted image

huh.gif ??

Edited by Talon S.

Something like that.

Yowsah, that gives me the creeps.

Yowsah, that gives me the creeps.

grin2.gif

So, anyone think my irrational fear of sharks is so irrational now? laugh.gif

It's not anymore irrational than say, a fear of lions if you're in the middle on a lion-infested jungle.

I think im gonna rent the movie soon, they say on this site it is out.

http://www.100percentent.com/megalodon.htm

I have seen the trailer but the shark looked really fake, (even worser then ''Deep Blue Sea''.

Lets hope the story is well enough to rent it.

Here is the movie Poster

user posted image

Edited by Dezmond

Wow, never made it to Cinema here..

One of the crew said the shark was "three hundred feet long at least"!

laugh.gif Poor guy must've been real scared, because that's just plain exaggerating. A shark that big probably couldn't even make it close enough to shore to grab these crawfish, much less waste its time eating them! Or would it...

It was crawfish, wasn't it?

If we cannot, then it seems if Megalodon has survived, it may have grown bigger, and I am not sure which idea is scarier.

Bigger...? eek7.gif That's a lovely thing to know...

I must go rent the movie now!

BTW, cool links! thumbsup.gif

(even worser then ''Deep Blue Sea''.

I thought that they looked pretty good, actually. dontgetit.gif

So did I, i saw it in theatres and loved it!