Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Possible Megalodon in Mariana trench

Talon

AZALIN, My ex- husband was a Navy Officer on a boomer sub they go alot deeper then you think, But the point i was making was a creature this large would take alot of food to live, and i would think it would have to come up to hunt since the creature's living that deep would not be large enough to feed some thing of this size. no.gif

795206[/snapback]

I didn't know a whole lot about subs, I thought I would be wrong. I do agree a creature of that size would have to feed a lot. I know crocidiles can digest there food over a year period, so they don't necessarily eat that much.

I beleive sharks eat a lot more though...gah, Im out of my league here, I really don't know much about sharks, but they really do interest me, and always thought prehistoric creatures could live down in the deep.

795216[/snapback]

Hi, it would take a large amount of food to feed a shark of this size, we are talking about animals the size of baby whales, I can not think of any thing that could feed a shark this large in the depths people where talking about, It would just take a masive amout of food, And it's ok about the subs, believe it our not they can really go deep, the only reason i know as i said i was married to the Navy for many years.

Well once again, we do not know what lives that deep, there could be other whale species that are large enough to feed these predators, including giant squids.

A few weeks back they had Shark Week (man did I enjoy that! tongue.gif) on the Discovery Channel and they said that they don't think that the Meggy could surive now.

There are so many animals in the ocean it doesn't really matter how much it eats there is plenty...there are also many large species that live down that deep if i remember what i have read correctly....the problem with subs is that even if they can go down that deep they couldn't with any viewing windows.....

Even if they could would you want to be the person to come face to face with a predator that is that big?

Yes but you would think a animal of that size, would surely have tried to take a bite of a sub by know sharks are well known to mistake there prey all the time, And it would stand to reason a sub would look like prey to a shark so large. blink.gif

to my knowledge subs don't normally travel that far down into the trench if they can go down that far at all....does anyone know how deep the trench is and how far a normal sub goes?

[attachmentid=17829]Heres some pics of whats down there, Giant clams and Tube worms.

post-735-1124298524_thumb.jpg

post-735-1124298550_thumb.jpg

Imagine if you are in a boat, and you see a great big white blob coming closer under the water, and it goes under your boat, and then you turn to the other side of the boat, and then it leaps in the water, and its a MEGALODON!!!!

FU**!!!!!!!!! crying.gif

The depth of Nuclear subs is classified. I found this little clip here

"U.S. Navy submarines can submerge deeper than 800 feet. The actual depth is classified, but it is less than the deep-diving U.S. Navy-supported civilian research submarines that explore the bottom of the oceans."

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navy/l/blsubfaq.htm

I also found that they make really small submarines with arms and camcorders they can go 4 miles deep into the ocean.

But still...all this said, there is STILL a lot of ocean to cover, like I said, even more then solid ground on earth.

I've got a question: How can you tell the size of the shark, it's eating habits, the temp. of the water it in, etc. from some teeth? huh.gif

That may explain why we do not see them thumbsup.gif

Edited by isis-999

The Megalodon was such a large animal, I do not see how it could hid from humans for all this time, It was not only eat a large amount of food, It woulds be hard for the subs not to be attacked by such a animal, think about it! The change of our military not running into this animal would be very slim, As it would be in about the same depth of water. I just don't see how it could have made it this far un noticed

795132[/snapback]

And do you really think the military would ever let the public know if it did happen? Not the military I was in! With all of the accounts of "sea monsters" by sailors in the past several centuries discounted as old salts' yarns, it just might have been noticed. I am not one to accept any old tales, but when they are persistent over time, I don't completely discount them either.

If there are sea monsters out there, I sincerely doubt any of them would care to be in the vicinity of the heavy, noisy, man-made vessels. The reports I am interested in are the ones from the days of the wooden sailing ships, in which there are actual occasional collisions with monsters, or on modern ships that are dead in the water, such as the report of the ocean-going tug that was approached by a giant squid.

• 2 weeks later...
God, someone get me that footage!!!!!!

218888[/snapback]

the thing is: there is no footage like this, man, there is NO footage at all, it is all fake and speculations.

Paulwhale, if you actually read all the pages in the thread wink2.gif you would find that what you said is incorrect

i read it and at first im like wth did they just randomly decide to put bait in a cage at the lowest point in the ocean and video tape it?

If I understand what you just said mellow.gif ,

Yes, to see what sort of sea life they could attract.

Hey, what if that mystery under water sound known as "bloop" is the alleged Megalodon... beacuse they already know that it came from a large unknown animal under the water.

Yes they are dangerous but could you imagine finding something that was able to stay alive all those years. Can you imagine how much food they would eat?

Celeryslam, no.

Their is nothing mysterious about the bermuda triangle anyway.

lol i was just kidding. and yes there is still some mysterious about it. people still cant fully explain why stuf dissapears.

I remember reading about a megalodon sighting off the coast of New Zealand or Australia fairly recently. What I read was that a fishing boat was pulling in their nets when a huge shark rose from the water and took hold of the nets. the fisherman on the boat said that the shark was 20 to 30 feet wide and about 150 to 180 feet long. The fisherman had to release their net and the shark swam back down with the net in its mouth. Has anyone else read about this?

If the Megaladon DID survive, it would have to be a hell of alot different than it was back then. There's so little food down there that it's metabolism would have to drop ultra low, and it's body structure would change alot. But I'm really curious to find out what's down there.