Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Possible Megalodon in Mariana trench

Talon

The source of that article, Pravda is like the weekly world news in the US. They make up sensational stories.

If the Megaladon DID survive, it would have to be a hell of alot different than it was back then.  There's so little food down there that it's metabolism would have to drop ultra low, and it's body structure would change alot.  But I'm really curious to find out what's down there.

826634[/snapback]

there might not be little food down there, there could be alot, we dont know until we explore it better

well i was watching a program the other day on bbc called sea monsters, and it said the megalodon died out because all its potential prey moved up north, thus it starved to death as it could not survive up in the colder conditions, but if there are any left, those things look dangerous yes.gif

innocent.gif

Its a promotion. Do you think the medai wouldn't be all over it if it was true? They would lap it up for ratings.

Its a promotion. Do you think the medai wouldn't be all over it if it was true? They would lap it up for ratings.

826808[/snapback]

What dont you understand about the part when he says something along the lines of Top Secret, tell everyone about and the only reason that the news isnt all over it is because not enough people know about it. hmm.gif

read the details of the last picture.

Edited by OtterLord

Or he is full of shi* and is hoping this will promote his book. Think logically(I know that may be hard), which makes more sense.

Edited by ericraven2003

I just checked your age otter. I understand why you would believe it. Too much imagination.

I just checked your age otter. I understand why you would believe it. Too much imagination.

826845[/snapback]

yeah, if thats true you have too much logic.

user posted image

Does that look like the type of person that knows photoshop? hmm.gif

826847[/snapback]

That is a goofy statement. You made no sense with it. Anyone can do a photoshop. You just have to learn it and it is not hard.

826845[/snapback]

yeah, if thats true you have too much logic.

826851[/snapback]

Logic equates with intelligence. Apparently you don't have much. You can't believe everything you read on the internet, otherwise you might as well believe in superman.

user posted image

user posted image

Im the one with the guns and you (eric) is the one behind the couch.

This is completely out of anger.

The only problem I have reagrding the continued existance of Megaladon's is the fact that despite a low metabolism, they would still need to eat an INCREDIBLE amount of food to stay alive. Giant squids and the occasionsal deep-wandering Sperm whale would provide enough food but otherwise...

And yes, I'm sure we would've encountered one before with all our sea exploration in submarines for two reasons.

1. Subs are metal: Sharks have an amazing "sixth sense" that allows them to track magnetic fields. A large submarine would generate such an immense field that undoubtedly one would come to invstigate.

2. Subs also use sonar to find their way around. Whales use sonar, I doubt a shark could differentiate. It would probbably investigate the source of a sonar ping as well.

BTW I have a meg tooth happy.gif it's a smaller one (would be about 5 inches tall except the tip broke off a long time ago before I got it.)

user posted image

Does that look like the type of person that knows photoshop? hmm.gif

826847[/snapback]

That is a goofy statement. You made no sense with it. Anyone can do a photoshop. You just have to learn it and it is not hard.

826852[/snapback]

this guy, Steven ALten is pretty ignorant and not educated person about marine life, This is what I found out after having a talk with him.

LOL, megalodon eating sperm whale, give me a breka kid, it's impossible, sperm whale would destroy megalodon EASILY.

Edited by Paulwhale

The only problem I have reagrding the continued existance of Megaladon's is the fact that despite a low metabolism, they would still need to eat an INCREDIBLE amount of food to stay alive. Giant squids and the occasionsal deep-wandering Sperm whale would provide enough food but otherwise...

And yes, I'm sure we would've encountered one before with all our sea exploration in submarines for two reasons.

1. Subs are metal: Sharks have an amazing "sixth sense" that allows them to track magnetic fields. A large submarine would generate such an immense field that undoubtedly one would come to invstigate.

2. Subs also use sonar to find their way around. Whales use sonar, I doubt a shark could differentiate. It would probbably investigate the source of a sonar ping as well.

BTW I have a meg tooth happy.gif it's a smaller one (would be about 5 inches tall except the tip broke off a long time ago before I got it.)

826950[/snapback]

LOL, one funny mistake here, megalodon is NO match for sperm whale, the deepest divers are largest males of up to 72 tons, this shark would be no more than a nuisance for this huge animal, don't talk rubbish my friend.

Edited by Paulwhale

826950[/snapback]

LOL, one funny mistake here, megalodon is NO match for sperm whale, the deepest divers are largest males of up to 72 tons, this shark would be no more than a nuisance for this huge animal, don't talk rubbish my friend.

828371[/snapback]

How big do they think Megalodon got?

Whatever the big sea creature in the Japanese documentary was, to say there is not enough for large creatures to eat in the deep ocean is nonsense. In his massive "Whales" book, I recall Jacques Cousteau's statement that the present population of the world's s Sperm Whales consume each year a biomass of flesh equivalent to the entire human population of the earth (though that was like 25 or 30 years ago.)

Just because giant squid are rare for humans to find, Sperm Whales must eat literally millions of them each year.

Just because someone thinks the Meaglodon was a shallow ocean hunter, there is no scientific evidence to support this. They could very easily enjoyed the same lifestyle as Sperm Whales today, deep water squid eaters. Just because some whale bones have megalong teeth marks, guess what? Dead whales sink to the bottom and a big shark down there might eat them.

I agree that a giant shark would have a healthy respect for a bull Sperm Whale. In fact, the fossil evidence suggests that it may have been the Sperm Whale that outcompeted and replaced Megs as the top order, deep water predator. This is not to say there could still be a few around.

I am sure there are many large animals in our oceans yet to be discovered. I recall several accounts of submarines being attacked by large aquatic reptiles, and captains of submarines are usually pretty reliable people. It is also very interesting that when sea monsters were depicted in the classical world, they have an uncanny resemblance to long necked plesiosaurs.

Whatever the big sea creature in the Japanese documentary was, to say there is not enough for large creatures to eat in the deep ocean is nonsense.  In his massive "Whales" book, I recall Jacques Cousteau's statement that the present population of the world's s Sperm Whales consume each year a biomass of flesh equivalent to the entire human population of the earth (though that was like 25 or 30 years ago.)

Just because giant squid are rare for humans to find, Sperm Whales must eat literally millions of them each year.

Just because someone thinks the Meaglodon was a shallow ocean hunter, there is no scientific evidence to support this.  They could very easily enjoyed the same lifestyle as Sperm Whales today, deep water squid eaters.  Just because some whale bones have megalong teeth marks, guess what?  Dead whales sink to the bottom and a big shark down there might eat them. 

I agree that a giant shark would have a healthy respect for a bull Sperm Whale.  In fact, the fossil evidence suggests that it may have been the Sperm Whale that outcompeted and replaced Megs as the top order, deep water predator.  This is not to say there could still be a few around.

I am sure there are many large animals in our oceans yet to be discovered.  I recall several accounts of submarines being attacked by large aquatic reptiles, and captains of submarines are usually pretty reliable people.  It is also very interesting that when sea monsters were depicted in the classical world, they have an uncanny resemblance to long necked plesiosaurs.

828692[/snapback]

Finally a good man, thanks God there are smart people here, not guys who say sperm whale bul can be killed by great white. Yes, that's true, megalodons were feeding usually on carcasses of dead whales, plus, the animal that contributed most to megalodon extinction is not sperm whale, but actually killer whale, they are crazy, attacking sper mwhales and blue whales and stuff ten times larger than themselves.

By the way, sperm whales sometimes attacked ships and submarines, and did nasty damage, actually big enough sea creature can pretty much sink most ships now, ships have 2,2 cm hull thickness, EXACTLY, please, don't argue, 2,2 cm, my father was captain of ice-breaker, and he says ice-breaker has it 2,5 cm, now imagine 70 tons sperm whale charging at this ship at crazy 20 knots which they sometimes make, big hole.

Another interesting thing happened to "Iocho-Maru" Japanese tanker, he got almost sunk by a whale shark, who hit his hull, tanker got 20/50 cm hole in a hull.

Plus sperm whales in the past were roughly 2 times heavier than now, here are a words of one scientist:

"Even by the colossal standards of Sperm whale, eighty-five foot bull is huge. Today, male sperm whales, which are on average three to four times bulkier than females, never grow past sixty-five feet. Sperm whale expert Hal White had has his doubts that the Essex whale could have been as large as Chase and nickerson claimed it was. However, the logs of Nantucket whaleman are filled with references to bulls that, given the amount of oil they yielded, must have been on the order of the Essex whale. It is an established fact that the whaleman in both the nineteenth and twentieth centuries killed male sperm whales in disproportionate number: not only were they longer than females but the male’s oil-rich spermaceti organs accounted for larger proportion of that length. In 1820, before a century and a half of selective killing that rid the world of large bulls, it may have indeed been possible to an eighty-five foot sperm whale. Perhaps the most convincing evidence resides in Nantucket Whaling Museum. There, leaning against the wall, is an eighteen foot jaw, taken from a bull that was estimated to have been at least eighty feet long."

this is from "In The heart of the sea" about Essex whaleship.

And I actually want to travel to Nantucket in winter and spend some time on these logs to figure out how big bulls were, bulls that they mention, but one thing is for sure, those huge bull with 18 feeet jaw was most likely not 80, but 90 feet, he weighed 150 tons or so.

I don't think megalodon survived, you guys know how people exaggerate, people who have never seen big shark, maybe it was only whale shark with huge spine fluke, but who knows, who knows, maybe some survived.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been following this thread for a bit now and I can't remember anyone posing this question.

Wouldn't there have to be more than one megalodon for a species like that to survive?...of course. Lol could you imagine footage of those things breeding. And would they be live young or egg sack thingies, if so there would be a lot of them. thumbsup.gif

Yep your right DeathBringer, there would have to be quite a few to sustain a viable breeding population.

Who knows, one of these days we might get some amazing footage, as im sure we haven't even seen half of the life in the ocean.