Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Possible Megalodon in Mariana trench

Talon

Nice thread, but I once readed that Megalodon was about 20 meters, 35 at maximum. And it was descibed as a killed machine with the size of a train thumbsup.gif

So whatever that was it couldnt be the Megalodon, 60 meters is just way to big for any creature. Even Dino's aint that big. And besides a container of meat is not even enough for 1 day food for the Megalodon, they need like trucksloads of meat a day. How else do you think they got to be the #1 Sea Monster ever

Edited by Baku

i think this ting has a government D-class cover up on this thing, no matter what search engine i put this stuff through, it omes up blank. anyone else get anything? sad.gif

Baku, I think your impression of sharks is greatly over-rated.

Sperm whales may not look as "scary" as a shark, but as mentioned in an earlier post they are extremely formidable predators. I recall reading of a 13 foot shark swallowed whole by a Sperm whale, not to mention dinner plate sized squid sucker marks on the whales that obviously "won" the engagement with the giant squid that make up much of thier diet . A sperm whale probably consumes 5 to 10 times as much prey as a similar sized shark because of its much higher metabolism. As I mentioned before, Jacques Cousteau estimated that the living sperm whales of the world consumed an amount of flesh in a year equivalent to the biomass of the entire human race!

Sperm whales probably took over the ecological niche of Megaladon sharks because they were smarter and better adapted (even if they don't look as scary to people).

Sperm whales may not look as "scary" as a shark, but as mentioned in an earlier post they are extremely formidable predators.  I recall reading of a 13 foot shark swallowed whole by a Sperm whale, not to mention dinner plate sized squid sucker marks on the whales that obviously "won" the engagement with the giant squid that make up much of thier diet .  A sperm whale probably consumes 5 to 10 times as much prey as a similar sized shark because of its much higher metabolism.  As I mentioned before, Jacques Cousteau estimated that the living sperm whales of the world consumed an amount of flesh in a year equivalent to the biomass of the entire human race!

Sperm whales probably took over the ecological niche of Megaladon sharks because they were smarter and better adapted (even if they don't look as scary to people).

846008[/snapback]

that's absolutely right, man, sharks may be very scary, but it doesn't help, it's like bodybuilder and powerlifter, powerlifter looks like fat guy but weighs WAY more and is WAY more powerful than bodybuilder, although last looks stronger.

about those article mentioned here about 20 or 35 meters sharks, you read rubbish by megalodon fans, complete rubbish, largest megalodon was estimated at 14-16 meters for largest female (female sharks are larger) and it weighed no more than 25-30 tons, so, those rubbish is not just exaggeration, it's ignorance.

by the way, guys, if you want to read about "achievements" of some sperm whales against whaling equipment, and not only sperm whales, but also big sharks, go here:

http://207.114.164.75/forum/viewtopic.php?t=853&start=10

scroll down there a little, I translated it from Russian article, who took it from "Brooklyn" magazine, there are also confirmations of these things in Moby Dick (most people thought mellvile told rubbish about white ehale, but there was actually one found, they thought he told rubbish about ton per foot whaler's estimation, but when Japanese whalers tested, it turned to be true, and whales beyond 65-67, which would be largest today has even more than ton per foot, so, Mellvile was quite right about all stuff, now scientists percieve his "Moby Dick" more seriously, they now understand that it waszn't based on rubbish, but facts).

I also read a book "In the heart of the sea" about sperm whale attack on "Essex" and there it explains this accident VERY thoroughly, people on the ship, until last moment, didn't think that whale is atacking, they thought it was his mistake, but when they realized he actually wants to destroy the ship itself, it was late to turn away, and then, when he went second time, they were distracted by first hole in the hull, and when they heard "He is doing for us again" it was too late again, and then ship couldn't be saved.

yeah, that's correct, there were TONS of sharks found in sperm whale's belly, sperm whale is known to feed on all species of shark avaliable for them, INCLUDING "the most feared and ferocious, and most vicious predator of sea, the great white shark, lol", yes, great white shark ends up in sperm whale female's belly ALL THE TIME, so, sperm whale feeds on all avaliable sharks, except whale sharks fish is actually affraid of sperm whales like hell, cause they are largest things that eat sharks, there is no larger thing that eats sharks than sperm whale, so, I read a description of Jaques Custau that sharks follow sperm whales (small sharks were seen 3 miles away from shore, sharks that would usually not go hundreds of meters from shore line), and follow them on really far distance, cause they are affraid of sperm whales, when herd left dead calf, sharks were coming to it really carefully, and when there were 20 of them gathered there only they touched the body, there is no known accident when shark was seen killing a fully grown sperm whale bull, actually there is no known accident of shark killing female sperm whale, only natural enemies of sperm whales are orcas, and they attack only calves, but not fully grown bulls.

About not look as scary, if you think about it, the thing in front of sperm whale, about which you can read here:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...111/ai_91040468

well, this thing in front of him is most powerful weapon the nature have ever produced on animal.

Edited by Paulwhale

Convergent evoloution seems to have created a gigantic chordate predator during every time period, to consume the millions of squid that fill the ocean. The recently discovered Shonisaurus of around 100 feet may have been the biggest. With the dying off of the great reptiles, the Megaladon shark may have taken their place, until the sperm whale came along. I agree with Paulwhale that looking into the jaws of an adult Sperm whale would be a frightening thing, but to the general public, these creatures have become such familiar "cartoon" characters and such, plus the genral misconception that "all" giant whales are "harmless" plankton eaters, has given people a false impression that sharks are a more dangerous predator. There are accounts of Sperm whales attacking humans, but they are very few in number. There is probably a very simple reason for this. While many people "survive" shark attacks, it is extremely unlikely any person is ever going to survive a "sperm whale attack", nor any other witnesses to the attack, if they happen to be in the water also. A real "Moby Dick", if it had learned techniques to avoid harpoons, discovered its technique of sinking ships and identified the act as a viable food-getting source, could well have sunk dozens of wooden sailing ships in its lifetime, leaving no survivors to ever report the tale, and the loss of the ships,like so many thousands, would be simply attributed to storms.

Edited by draconic chronicler

People seem to forget that Megalodon was a warm-water shark that was similar to the great white in hunting habits. It was not a deep-water shark that liked cold environs... so the chances of it being in the deepest, darkest trench in the world are miniscule if by the also miniscule chance that some still live. It will be a different creature.

And yes, I would also kill to see the footage. And one has to also wonder why there has not been a documentary about it, along with multiple repeat experiments, along with a well-funded team charged specifically with finding out what it is...

I am wary of any MAJOR find that is never publicised by authentic scientific sources... the reason being why the hell wouldn't you want to make it instantly known to the scientific community? :mellow:

good point on the warm water nature of the creature, i think the giant squid is a good candiadte for such a long creature.

Convergent evoloution seems to have created a gigantic chordate predator during every time period, to consume the millions of squid that fill the ocean. The recently discovered Shonisaurus of around 100 feet may have been the biggest. With the dying off of the great reptiles, the Megaladon shark may have taken their place, until the sperm whale came along. I agree with Paulwhale that looking into the jaws of an adult Sperm whale would be a frightening thing, but to the general public, these creatures have become such familiar "cartoon" characters and such, plus the genral misconception that "all" giant whales are "harmless" plankton eaters, has given people a false impression that sharks are a more dangerous predator. There are accounts of Sperm whales attacking humans, but they are very few in number. There is probably a very simple reason for this. While many people "survive" shark attacks, it is extremely unlikely any person is ever going to survive a "sperm whale attack", nor any other witnesses to the attack, if they happen to be in the water also. A real "Moby Dick", if it had learned techniques to avoid harpoons, discovered its technique of sinking ships and identified the act as a viable food-getting source, could well have sunk dozens of wooden sailing ships in its lifetime, leaving no survivors to ever report the tale, and the loss of the ships,like so many thousands, would be simply attributed to storms.

the oficiall MOBY DICK is a whale that fought back 3 ships at once, English ship, Britich ship and Scotish I think, you can read about him on this thread I posted, he is oficially considered Moby Dick among whalers, in total there were about 12 ships sunk by sperm whales in 18 century, and in 19 century there was ONE killed man on ONE killed sperm whale, no other animal was that dangerous for humans ever, I will go to Nanticket and New Bedford this winter to check out the logs of 18 century whalers there, usuall bull was giving 40 barrels of spermaceti oil, but there are accounts of bulls that have given 100 barrels or even more (and whalers COULD do mistake estimating whale's length, while how the hell could they make mistake calculating barels of oil, while it was oficial procedure and they had to point out PRECISE amount of barrels per each whale, there was no point of exaggerating amount of barrels, in fact it was pretty dangerous, when employer would see in shipping log that they say they got 50 barrels from this whale while there were only 40 on ship, employer would ask them: "where are 10 barrels" and they would be screwed, so, they were not exaggerating barrels from whale), these bulls were 2-3 times heavier than those "40 barrel" bulls who probably weighed 50 tons , and here we have rare 140-150 tons sperm whales, whalers were saying that sperm whales were biggest whales ever, though they have probably never seen blue whales, lol, some whalers were saying that they have been catching sperm whales with 8 meters jaws, which suggests 40 meters whales, which is most-likely exaggerations.

in accounts you may find that if a sperm whale was given time to recover and have a little rest from the chase, he wouldn't attack enemy in blind rage, but would act with meaningly evil intent, trying to ruin, to destroy the enemy. By the way, draconic chronicler, sperm whale is capable of destroying not only wooden ship, but metal ship also.

Edited by Paulwhale

Sperm whales may not look as "scary" as a shark, but as mentioned in an earlier post they are extremely formidable predators. I recall reading of a 13 foot shark swallowed whole by a Sperm whale, not to mention dinner plate sized squid sucker marks on the whales that obviously "won" the engagement with the giant squid that make up much of thier diet . A sperm whale probably consumes 5 to 10 times as much prey as a similar sized shark because of its much higher metabolism. As I mentioned before, Jacques Cousteau estimated that the living sperm whales of the world consumed an amount of flesh in a year equivalent to the biomass of the entire human race!

Yeah I completely agree with you, Sperm whales are the worlds current head predators. but Im not quite sure if a Sperm whale can take on a Megaladon, would be a cool match though :tu:

But back in the Soviet Union a couple of Soviet marines saw a Sperm whales that was attacked by a giant squid. I readded in a newspaper back then, it was all over the CCCP, the CCCP started a investigation on that but I dunno what happened. Anyways the marines withnessed a kind of a battle between a Giant squid and a Sperm whale, they said that the Giant Squid drowned the Sperm Whale with its tentakels. I think this is pretty interesting, I readded more about these kinda encounters between Sperm shales and Giant squids, sometimes the Sperm whale won and sometimes the Squid. There like sworn enemies.

does anyone now if it is possible to view that video? All that i can say is that im in awe...the ocean is a mysterious, yet beautiful place

Yeah I completely agree with you, Sperm whales are the worlds current head predators. but Im not quite sure if a Sperm whale can take on a Megaladon, would be a cool match though :tu:

But back in the Soviet Union a couple of Soviet marines saw a Sperm whales that was attacked by a giant squid. I readded in a newspaper back then, it was all over the CCCP, the CCCP started a investigation on that but I dunno what happened. Anyways the marines withnessed a kind of a battle between a Giant squid and a Sperm whale, they said that the Giant Squid drowned the Sperm Whale with its tentakels. I think this is pretty interesting, I readded more about these kinda encounters between Sperm shales and Giant squids, sometimes the Sperm whale won and sometimes the Squid. There like sworn enemies.

there is NO known incident of sperm whale being seriously harmed by squid, squid is sperm whale's PREY, not predator, sightings of so called battle are just sightings of hunting sperm whales, who are killing squids, I highly doubt that squid could kill sper mwhale, I am from Russia, so, I have NEVER heard of anything like that, it is speculation.

about megalodon, you want to see a picture of how top three predators looked like?

here they are: 28 meters about 150 tons sperm whale, 25 meters pliosaur of about 80-90 tons, 25 tons megalodon who was 14 meters long MAXIMUM, weight is also maximum estimation.

these three predators are largest ever known, there is NO proof on any toothed creature larger than sperm whale bull.

now about match of sperm whale and megalodon, as you can see from pic, it is virtually impossible for megalodon to kill sperm whale bull, it is too big and powerful.

post-19079-1128131677_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paulwhale

there have been sightings of 100 ft sharks in Australia

lol, there have been rumors of 100 foot sharks sightings in australia, my friend, but ther were never such sightings, I will repeat, there is no proof on any other toothed creature bigger or more powerful than those sperm whale with 18 foot jaw, though there could be even bigger sperm whales, according to whaler's logs.

Edited by Paulwhale

Heh I bet a colossal squid could give a sperm whale a nasty bruise or two... those things are just frightening... imagine the biggest specimen in the world latching it's swivelling hooks onto you... *shivers*

there have been sightings of 100 ft sharks in Australia

There have probably been sightings of superman but it doesn't mean we believe them.

i must say i was doubtful of the 100ft long shark sightings but in anycase yea it would suck getting leeched onto by a giant squid and chompped by its beak into little tiny joe pieces.

Heh I bet a colossal squid could give a sperm whale a nasty bruise or two... those things are just frightening... imagine the biggest specimen in the world latching it's swivelling hooks onto you... *shivers*

imagine largest known specimen of sperm whale from past (about 150 tons) versus largest specimen of colossal squid (at maximum 10 tons or less), I don't think squid has any chance, of course he willl give sperm whale one or two bruises, but he will hardly feel it.

Edited by Paulwhale

imagine largest known specimen of sperm whale from past (about 150 tons) versus largest specimen of colossal squid (at maximum 10 tons or less), I don't think squid has any chance, of course he willl give sperm whale one or two bruises, but he will hardly feel it.

The Giant Squid will not try to fight the Sperm Whale with its weight but it will try to drown the Sperm Whale with its tentacels. I have added a few pics here below it might explain it better then I can :P

In the first pic you see the Sperm Whale winning, he is the attacker. But in the second pic the Giant Squid is the attacker and he is drowning the Sperm Whale.

post-21414-1128192433_thumb.jpg

post-21414-1128192491_thumb.jpg

They have found many sperm whales with giant squid tentacle scars across the whale. If it's possible the squid can scar and injury a sperm whale, its obviously enough evidence to know that a squid would be able to kill one. If a Giant squid attacked from the right angles, there would not be a feasable way for the whale to bite back, hence if it attacked from below or above the whale.

The Giant Squid will not try to fight the Sperm Whale with its weight but it will try to drown the Sperm Whale with its tentacels. I have added a few pics here below it might explain it better then I can :P

In the first pic you see the Sperm Whale winning, he is the attacker. But in the second pic the Giant Squid is the attacker and he is drowning the Sperm Whale.

lol, guys, what are you talking about?

Use common sense guys, USE IT, PLEASE, HOW THE HELL SQUID WILL DROWN WHALE? WITH IT's WEIGHT OF COURSE, OMG, guys, you are not using common sense, squid CAN NOT KILL sperm whale, it is obvious, sperm whale grabs squid, squid tries to cover whale's blowhole, but whale can hold his breath for 2 hours, so, BYE BYE squid, squid will NOT drown whale, because it is SO easy for whale to get up even with squid in his mouth, whale's muscle and tail can lift 5 squids at once, once whale is near surface he starts to chew poor squid and these 30 cm teeth will leave nothing of poor squid, whale has 90 minutes to kill squid, please, USE COMMON SENSE, the fact that squid did little damage to sperm whale doesn't mean that it can kill it, few bruises are fact that squid died, lol, not that it can win, :P , in both pictures whale is basically KILLING a squid, eating it alive.

Azalin, please don't talk about things you don't have clue about, ok ;) squid is VERY not likely to attack sperm whale, whale is squid's predator, not other way around, whale eats squid, squid CAN NOT attack whale from above or from side, I say it again, no offence but please, don't talk about stuff you have limited knowledge about, man, whale swims on surface, checks bottom of the sea, when he spots squid with his sonar, he gets down at a speed of about 6 kph, he keeps squid in sight of sonar all this time, finally he comes close enough and grabs squid with these huge jaws, and then EASILY lifts it and goes up at very fast speed, onj the way up, he basically eats squid alive, he bites of appendages which are, firced by water, go down in sperm whale's mouth (very convenient), I am just joking guys, he doesn't eat it there, he comes to surface, and basically start chewing squid there, squid will not survive, whale is winner, big sperm whale can sunk ship, even tanker, squid is NO MATCH.

squid attacking whale from above is impossible, there is NO way for squid to kill whale, only thing he can do is to make some bruises, which are not significant damage for whale, he has no weapon to kill whale, whale is predator of squid, my friend, time to accept this, squid is too light, too weak to kill sperm whale.

Edited by Paulwhale

i must agree that i doubt a squid would be the attacker and kill the whale unless maybe it was a young whale.