Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

LHC generates a 'mini-Big Bang'

questionmark

The Large Hadron Collider has successfully created a "mini-Big Bang" by smashing together lead ions instead of protons.

The scientists working at the enormous machine on Franco-Swiss border achieved the unique conditions on 7 November.

The experiment created temperatures a million times hotter than the centre of the Sun.

The LHC is housed in a 27km-long circular tunnel under the French-Swiss border near Geneva.

arrow3.gifRead more...

And without any malicious glee I must constate that those who knew something about science were right and the doomsayer wrong. :devil:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• The Silver Thong

• sepulchrave

• a vampire wears my boxers

And without any malicious glee I must constate that those who knew something about science were right and the doomsayer wrong. :devil:

Oh, well... we don't know for sure, I mean it could take months or uears before we really feel the affects.

:rolleyes:

This is not the experiment. the experiment, the one which some say would create a black hole is not for another 2 years. :lol:

Technically questionmark is correct... the November 7th experiment was the one that was supposed to convert the Earth into a massive "strangelet".

Unfortunately there are many different and implausible doomsday scenarios that the LHC is "at risk" of triggering.

Technically questionmark is correct... the November 7th experiment was the one that was supposed to convert the Earth into a massive "strangelet".

Unfortunately there are many different and implausible doomsday scenarios that the LHC is "at risk" of triggering.

We have enough "strangelettes" running around this planet spreading fear, the real ones can't harm us anymore.

perhaps our good scientist friends would like to fire up the LHC in 2012, create the black hole-o-saurus, and aim it at the earth killing solar flares. absorbing all deadly flares, the black hole dissipates. cheers can be heard throughout the land. then someone spills coffee on the machine and it blows up the universe. ah, prophecy.....

How adorable, a mini Universe. I wonder if there is a mini me on a mini Earth in a mini Milky way?

The scary thing is that I live 20 minutes away from CERN..

Well on he bright side, if it does blow up... ill be the first to know :blink:

How adorable, a mini Universe. I wonder if there is a mini me on a mini Earth in a mini Milky way?

"HELP,, This is mini-bob, and I paid the bill yesterday, the check is in the mini- mail, so PLEASE , turn ny universe back on."

The scary thing is that I live 20 minutes away from CERN..

Well on he bright side, if it does blow up... ill be the first to know :blink:

Or you'll be lucky enough not to know :rolleyes:

This is the type of thing that could really fire the imagination. If I was a teacher I would give an assignment to write a short story about the potential results of creating a big bang in the earth.

wouldnt a mini big bang just be a bang?

wouldnt a mini big bang just be a bang?

This.

actually it was less than a whisper. If they would not have done it in the measuring chamber nobody would have noticed.

"HELP,, This is mini-bob, and I paid the bill yesterday, the check is in the mini- mail, so PLEASE , turn ny universe back on."

Probably not as the mass was not there. The actual Big Bang happened because all matter was concentrated in almost no space. This time they accelerated matter and let it collide to emulate the effect.

The Large Hadron Collider has successfully created a "mini-Big Bang" by smashing together lead ions instead of protons.

Does that mean that the original Big Bang was created by two tremendously large lead bricks being banged together by God? (Teasing)

Maybe we are all already dead and we are just living in that fraction of time where our brain is shutting down. Maybe this is Paradise? :w00t:

Does that mean that the original Big Bang was created by two tremendously large lead bricks being banged together by God? (Teasing)

Maybe we are all already dead and we are just living in that fraction of time where our brain is shutting down. Maybe this is Paradise? :w00t:

If it is all religious just have been cheated :devil:

I really like that idea. Kinda wished I'd had higher standards for Paradise, though.

how do we know that the world has not already ended, and that we are not just the dream of a super-conciousness :rolleyes: ? But anyways it is a great day for science :P

Do these "mini bangs" happen anywhere naturally. I would say this should be a common occurrence in the universe now. If we can create it then it most likely is already happening.

If we created a mini-universe in that experiment, it's possible that that fraction of a second it lasted could seem like billions of years to the inhabitants of said tiny universe.

Do these "mini bangs" happen anywhere naturally. I would say this should be a common occurrence in the universe now. If we can create it then it most likely is already happening.

I think you have a good point.

I'm not 100% but lead particles could not reach the speed they do in the LHC. It's artificial and meaning man mad but who knows maybe in a black hole.

Despite what the article headline states...

Nobody is making mini-Universes, nor even mini-Big Bangs. All they are doing is attempting to create temperatures hot enough and pressures large enough to be conducive to the creation of quark-gluon plasma.

Quark-gluon plasma - if it exists as predicted by the Standard Model - would have been the initial state of matter just after the Big Bang.

They don't know whether or not they created any quark-gluon plasma yet. Only that they've achieved the temperatures and pressures required by current theory to create quark-gluon plasma.

I'm not 100% but lead particles could not reach the speed they do in the LHC. It's artificial and meaning man mad but who knows maybe in a black hole.

leads natural, what are you talking about?