Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Evidence of Precognition?

evnon

"Extraordinary claims don't come much more extraordinary than this: events that haven't yet happened can influence our behaviour.

Parapsychologists have made outlandish claims about precognition – knowledge of unpredictable future events – for years. But the fringe phenomenon is about to get a mainstream airing: a paper providing evidence for its existence has been accepted for publication by the leading social psychology journal.

What's more, sceptical psychologists who have pored over a preprint of the paper say they can't find any significant flaws....

arrow3.gifRead more...

Cool....

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• White Crane Feather

• Ketzer

• merrick

• d e v i c e

The one way I figure you can have some knowledge of the future is that it is fixed. Which to my mind means everything you do is already planned ahead by particles. And this would not be a local phenomena to work properly but across the universe. My corollary is Particles know what other particles are up to at all times. Particle rule.

Even a person knows what will happen there is no guaranteed that its accurately 100% percent we create the future so we can do whatever we want to do with it it change every day

I believe that just by predictingsomethingto come true and in believing in that possible outcome, makes the chance or a correct prediction more likely to occur.

The one way I figure you can have some knowledge of the future is that it is fixed. Which to my mind means everything you do is already planned ahead by particles. And this would not be a local phenomena to work properly but across the universe. My corollary is Particles know what other particles are up to at all times. Particle rule.

Would not particles then have to be self aware?

There is a fine line between genius and insane. Either this scientist is the smartest person I have aver heard of and I completely misunderstood the experiments done here, or he/she is just crazy.

from this i gather that some theories that the mind is able to travel through time is possible... there is a theory that memories is the brain's way of travelling through time and being able to restore those memories.. the basic theory in butterfly effect if anyone's seen that movie... it is also possible that we subconciously analyse the interior and exterior chemical dispreportions and therefore show possible futures in our dreams or conciously... it can also sugest that everything is predetermined and at the same time not, as we continuously make new decisions everyday... like the decision to read this article... getting up at what time.. we create and destroy possible futures... that's what i believe any ways you don't need to trust this comment or not :D

Those of you familure with the delayed choice effects of the double slit experiments, might note that if conciousness is quantum in nature, this result is not surprising.

A little technical I try to do better

I'm definitely not convinced. Yet another fail pseudo scientist who gives scientists a bad name.

Actually according to the article, Dr. Bem is pretty respected in his field. And his peers could find no faults with his experiments, the research was an 8 year effort on his part. Can't see how that gives scientists a bad name. Whether the evidence holds up or not remains to be seen. ;)

From Wikipedia

Science (from the Latin scientia, meaning "knowledge") is an enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the natural world.

Edited by farandaway

It's not about sending. It's about observation. The future is not sending information to the past. There is no past or future those are probably illusions. A record or prediction if you will of states of matter, so our minds arnt in chaos. The delayed choice simply allows a choice to be made about an experiment that has already been done, and the results will be consistant with those choices. Regurdless of when the experiment was performed and when the choice wad made. Time really has no meaning only choice has meaning.

Now in this new experiment, people are more likely to observe something now based on choices they will make in the future. Same thing.

It's Not evidence of precognition, it's evidence of the quantum nature of our conciousness. Maby evidence of the importance of conciousness in our universe.

"Wheeler's delayed choice experiment

Wheeler's delayed choice experiment is a thought experiment proposed by John Archibald Wheeler in 1978[1]. Wheeler proposed a variation of the famous double-slit experiment of quantum physics, one in which the method of detection can be changed after the photon passes the double slit, so as to delay the choice of whether to detect the path of the particle, or detect its interference with itself. Since the measurement itself seems to determine how the particle passes through the double slits, and thus its state as a wave or particle, Wheeler's thought experiment has been useful in trying to understand certain strange properties of quantum particles. An implementation of the experiment in 2007 showed that the act of observation ultimately decides whether the photon will behave as a particle or wave, verifying the unintuitive results of the thought experiment.[2][3]"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheeler%27s_delayed_choice_experiment

Edited by Seeker79

Incase anyone does not know what we are talking about here is an easier video on the double slit experiment. In the delayed choice the decision to observe which slit the photons go through is made after the experiment.

I knew this would happen.

Hahaha me to :) I have a few more predictions to ;)

Edited by Seeker79

I knew you would know this would happen.

IF Precognition is true then we must be living in some kind of matrix, if that's true, then the future has been set, if the future has been set, then there must be a GOD ?

Edited by sean6

Let's say for instance, god is everything like most religions say. We can also say that man is created in god's image or maybe what that really should be is we are of the same stuff. Now I really liked that video if all the data is correct. That would mean there really is a matrix of some sort, be it called magnetism or some esoteric partnering on some level from each aspect of the situation. There is proof of some genetic passing of information. Can it be enough to have passed all the information of the situation, past, present and future? Is there also some link between the participants, even if all the participants are not known at the outset? Were they discovered or is the process itself also capable of reacting independently, including recognizing being observed. Another possibility is the observation method even being only passive would still be providing some interfering influence (I.E. - Does the light taken in by an optical observation detract enough from the situation to modify it?)

IF Precognition is true then we must be living in some kind of matrix, if that's true, then the future has been set, if the future has been set, then there must be a GOD ?

I don't recall exact passages and the like, but I KNOW I've read something in more than one religious/spiritual text about God already knowing things as the will be. He/She/It would have to be outside the laws/rules governing timespace for that to occur.....or be so far ahead of our relative time that all we do is really just history from that perspective.

Reminds of a story someone told me about some article that was put together about the 7 days of Genesis possibly being real in the scope of how we measure time as we get further distant from our location and move inwards (?) towards what we believe to be the location of the origin of the big-bang. 7 days there, billions of years here, or something along those lines.

Let's say for instance, god is everything like most religions say. We can also say that man is created in god's image or maybe what that really should be is we are of the same stuff. Now I really liked that video if all the data is correct. That would mean there really is a matrix of some sort, be it called magnetism or some esoteric partnering on some level from each aspect of the situation. There is proof of some genetic passing of information. Can it be enough to have passed all the information of the situation, past, present and future? Is there also some link between the participants, even if all the participants are not known at the outset? Were they discovered or is the process itself also capable of reacting independently, including recognizing being observed. Another possibility is the observation method even being only passive would still be providing some interfering influence (I.E. - Does the light taken in by an optical observation detract enough from the situation to modify it?)

Nop. The detectors can be left on, and the information erased and there is an I pattern. Store the information so it can be observed. P pattern. Further more. They can set up the detectors in a way ( not sure how) that indirectly observe which slit. I think it's throught it's entangled twin.

Cool....

That...proved nothing at all. :blink:

I see what ya did there

• 4 weeks later...

The education of the soul is too important to leave up to chance. The soul's lessons are embedded in our everyday lives and it is holistically imprinted with what it needs to learn regardless of who we are, or where we live, or what we believe. Belief is irrelevant. We are not here to become One with God or "learn how to love." We are simply spiritual beings having a physical experience. The soul is here simply to learn what time and space look and feel like, what it feels like to be separate, and make memories of what it means and how it feels to live in a 3 dimensional + 1 time universe. The physics of the "other side" are very different from this side. From descriptions in near death experiences heaven seems to be a place where thoughts are things and consciousness creates reality, where time and space don't seem to exist, and the feelings of oneness and connectedness are infinite and overwhelming. Another words Heaven is the holographic film from which our present so called "physical" universe derives its existence. We are presently living in a holographic projection which means that everything that is "here" must also be "there." Whatever we focus our attention on in the Spiritual Universe will be what we experience.