Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Deluxe Ghost Hunting Kit" for sale on A&E

Grape Soda

i was watching a show on A&E earlier today, and there was an advert for that stupid "paranormal state" show followed by a blurb to go to the website to purchase dvd box sets of said stupid show as well as a "ghost hunting kit". my sick curiosity got the better of me...

i went to check out the "kit" which costs $100(US). it contains an emf meter, a motion alarm, a mic/speaker ("EVP Listener"), a digital termometer, and a case to carry it all.

i think this clearly shows what a money making farce "paranormal investigation" has become when tv websites are selling their own "ghost hunting" kits.

i was watching a show on A&E earlier today, and there was an advert for that stupid "paranormal state" show followed by a blurb to go to the website to purchase dvd box sets of said stupid show as well as a "ghost hunting kit". my sick curiosity got the better of me...

i went to check out the "kit" which costs $100(US). it contains an emf meter, a motion alarm, a mic/speaker ("EVP Listener"), a digital termometer, and a case to carry it all.

i think this clearly shows what a money making farce "paranormal investigation" has become when tv websites are selling their own "ghost hunting" kits.

Syfy's selling the same thing promoting Ghost Hunters KIT

AND a more expensive GH Academy kit for $225! GHA Kit. :lol:

A little over priced but it is a nice way for someone who wants to dabble in the field for fun or whatever, most wouldn't know where to find such items, and to have it all bundled together is actually kinda nice. I don't see it as a farce.

damn, and here's me using cookies and a butterfly net...no wonder i haven't caught anything!

Cookies...you don't specify what kind, and you expect to be critiqued? :rolleyes:

Chocolate chips, or mint milanos. Unless your in the deep south, then a moon-pie may work best.

technically ,arn't you advertising it here now?whether your meaning to or not?

Yeah, a lot of the tv hunters have kits now... Some non tv hunting groups offer kits too. Some of them also offer all sorts of fun spook toys in non kit form.

It is kind of nice for people that have no idea where to find that kind of stuff to pick up a nice lil package... But then in my opinion, one should know enough about hunting and how equipment works to already know where to buy equipment and what to buy before going out to buy anything, let alone go hunting.

I think of it this way. One does not just go to the store, buy a deer hunting package, and immediately go out to the woods and start pegging deer. Should not do that with hunting ghosts either, even if the equipment is way less dangerous than a hunting rifle. :rolleyes:

Ghost hunting is the same as animal hunting in my book. Hunting is hunting. That means learning what equipment is needed and how to use it properly. It means learning about what you are hunting. Where it is and isn't, what it is and isn't.

Personally, if I got a kit as a gift it would be lovely, but I wouldn't buy one. I already own a camera and recorder, and often forget to use them when I probably should, lol.

Cookies...you don't specify what kind, and you expect to be critiqued? :rolleyes:

Chocolate chips, or mint milanos. Unless your in the deep south, then a moon-pie may work best.

hmm, maybe i shouldn't have cheaped out with the baked goods...milanos are too good for the ghosts though, don't ya think?

A little over priced but it is a nice way for someone who wants to dabble in the field for fun or whatever, most wouldn't know where to find such items, and to have it all bundled together is actually kinda nice. I don't see it as a farce.

The farce is that none of these items can detect ghosts.

From anecdotes, ghosts are known to glow, be dark shadows, be warm (in IR cameras), be cold, and so on. There is no concise description of a ghost or it's properties, so how can you affectively hunt for one? Definitely not by imitating these clowns on TV or by buying their ridiculous kits.

• Like 1

The farce is that none of these items can detect ghosts.

From anecdotes, ghosts are known to glow, be dark shadows, be warm (in IR cameras), be cold, and so on. There is no concise description of a ghost or it's properties, so how can you affectively hunt for one? Definitely not by imitating these clowns on TV or by buying their ridiculous kits.

OK, assuming you are correct, how would you go about investigating paranormal occurrences or reported cases of said activity? What equipment, devices, recording, audio or visual, would you use to document these investigations?

OK, assuming you are correct, how would you go about investigating paranormal occurrences or reported cases of said activity? What equipment, devices, recording, audio or visual, would you use to document these investigations?

ghostbusters-trapL.jpg

ghostbusters-trapL.jpg

:rolleyes:

Shows what YOU know, NOOB!

That's for CATCHING, not investigating!

:rolleyes:

High quality microphones in in every corner of every room (at least), video cameras, well lit rooms, a month or two worth of pre-investigation surveillance and observation.

Disregard location's history, emf meters, thermometers, night vision, infrared cameras, ion counters, etc...

edit: actually, I guess it would depend on the claim of the "hauntee" whether microphones would be needed.

Edited by shadowofadoubt

I think sort of no matter what the equipment, redundancy and consistency are as important as the equipment itself. Like using multiple pieces of the same equipment, like audio and video. Or if using a still camera, take 2-3 shots of a spot before moving on. This one is a peeve of mine, the one shot wonders out of people who are supposed to be more professional hunters.

Take a couple different angles too of a spot.

If your camera has a timestamp option or other rolling counter, always have it on. If you place a video or still camera for still footage and it does not have a time stamp, rig it so there is always a timer in the shot. I would gladly take the risk of something being obscured in that corner of the shot for the sake of knowing when it was taken.

If you like to use a thermometer, ekg, whatever doo-dads.. Use them consistently if you are going to use them at all.

I don't think all house history should be tossed out the door. There are some very valuable clues that can come out of researching a place. Some natural explanations can be found out that way. Another consistency thing, always do the same research on places.

Well lit or darkness, both if possible. I'm very much in favor of hunting all sorts of different times of day and night. And going back several times to record.

I think sort of no matter what the equipment, redundancy and consistency are as important as the equipment itself. Like using multiple pieces of the same equipment, like audio and video. Or if using a still camera, take 2-3 shots of a spot before moving on. This one is a peeve of mine, the one shot wonders out of people who are supposed to be more professional hunters.

Take a couple different angles too of a spot.

If your camera has a timestamp option or other rolling counter, always have it on. If you place a video or still camera for still footage and it does not have a time stamp, rig it so there is always a timer in the shot. I would gladly take the risk of something being obscured in that corner of the shot for the sake of knowing when it was taken.

If you like to use a thermometer, ekg, whatever doo-dads.. Use them consistently if you are going to use them at all.

I don't think all house history should be tossed out the door. There are some very valuable clues that can come out of researching a place. Some natural explanations can be found out that way. Another consistency thing, always do the same research on places.

Well lit or darkness, both if possible. I'm very much in favor of hunting all sorts of different times of day and night. And going back several times to record.

Like what?

Also, looking for anything in the dark is a silly idea. We need light to see, so unless the ghost is glow in the dark, it's pretty pointless. If you're looking for something elusive, why hinder one of your greatest senses?

High quality microphones in in every corner of every room (at least), video cameras, well lit rooms, a month or two worth of pre-investigation surveillance and observation.

Disregard location's history, emf meters, thermometers, night vision, infrared cameras, ion counters, etc...

edit: actually, I guess it would depend on the claim of the "hauntee" whether microphones would be needed.

And what are you basing this on? Traditionally, "ghosts" appear at night, when it's dark and quiet. Traditionally. What is your idea of pre-investigation? What is your idea of surveillance and observation? It's all kind of vague to be honest. Why microphones? Are you implying that ghosts can be heard? Lights are on, why...? Because you can see them better in the light?

Just wondering.

And what are you basing this on? Traditionally, "ghosts" appear at night, when it's dark and quiet. Traditionally. What is your idea of pre-investigation? What is your idea of surveillance and observation? It's all kind of vague to be honest. Why microphones? Are you implying that ghosts can be heard? Lights are on, why...? Because you can see them better in the light?

Just wondering.

pre-investigation- Spend a long time in the location so you know what naturally occurs in the house. Something may seem anomalous to someone who is unfamiliar with the location. (that's the surveillance and observation)

Multiple microphones- While I don't believe in EVPs, investigators hear anomalous sounds when reviewing their material. Multiple mics help locate the origin of the anomalous sound aiding in identification. Also, this should be listened to in real time rather that after the fact, ideally.

Lights on- we require light to see. There is nothing on earth, substance or being that can be seen better in the dark. You're searching for something elusive, why hinder your greatest sense. (I just posted that same sentence in another thread :lol: ) so, hypothetically, yes. You CAN see them better in the light.

My question, are night time ghost sightings really more common? Maybe that's because a lot of people associate the dark with fear (ghost stories) and many people are inherently afraid of the dark. I can't say i've heard more ghost sitings in the dark. I'm pretty sure the majority of them happen when the witness is alone, however :hmm:

edit: I wasn't intentionally being vague. does that answer your questions?

Edited by shadowofadoubt

Like what?

Also, looking for anything in the dark is a silly idea. We need light to see, so unless the ghost is glow in the dark, it's pretty pointless. If you're looking for something elusive, why hinder one of your greatest senses?

Well, I think the history can help you find out if there is anything running under the building or underground around the property that could be causing problems like damaged utility lines and pipes, or improperly capped cisterns and wells. Or if there could be a problem resulting from a previous bit of construction. Where/when the house was built and what's been done to the place since then can totally yield clues for why some weird stuff happens. Even the ghost stories themselves help. They give pointers as to where to look more closely. For instance, a story about smelling smoke or ash in a bedroom and hearing a moaning. You do your research, and find out about a small fire there 50 years ago of the place that resulted in a man being badly burned. Could be that there's residual damage behind the walls that are only now starting to be an actual problem due to a not so good repair job rather than a burnt man ghost.

Even in outdoor scenarios the history of a place can help a lot. For instance, Bachelors Grove cemetery is supposed to have some great evp and hearing stuff action. But when you look at the history of the place, you find that there is a sound corridor left from when a section of the turnpike was closed decades ago and the natural park allowed to grow in. Plays great with the pond on the other side with a creek and bridge right next to that adding extra sound bounce action.

History can also help with WTF stuff. Like a hanging man ghost when there isn't a speck of history to suggest that there should be anything vaguely like that showing up. Or with some locations, buildings that are supposed to have existed, yet not a single scrap of info on the place ever existing is found. The asylum of York, Pa gates of hell is a good example of that. An yeah, there is no Walled Lake Child Killer either.

It can also be helpful in identifying what could be paranormal stuff. The tale of the lady falling down the stairs and dying. The haunt of thumping on the stairs. Despite everything else you check out, there seems to be no other connection to the thumping other than the lady falling down the stairs. And you caught thumping on more than one mike at the same time, and caught it more than once. Comparing the thumps, it consistently sounds like something like what a lady falling down the stairs would sound like.

And I didn't mean pitch black darkness for filming. But shooting in low light conditions can yield some interesting evidence too, especially when stuff is supposed to happen at night. Filming in an overly dark setting isn't too productive, neither is floodlighting a naturally dimmer scenario. Could be that it is just your cat causing chaos with your kitchen at night, and only does it after the lights are dim and all is quiet :) That's part of the reason why I think light and dark settings are good for recording. Different stuff happens at different times of day.

I totally agree with you about no over all dark recording. The 1-2 night dark stunt recordings with mostly live and staged live footage are really disappointing to me. If haunts are happening, they could very well be happening at any time.

Edited by rashore

You left out the token " medium"....No good investigator is without one thumbsup.gif

Just wondering.

If this is the case , why is it every claim on every show on tv happens with lights on , or during the day.....

" I was working in the Library and I heard...."

" I was giving a tour and one of the guests saw....."

" we were re-modeling th kitchen and it ...."

" we were watching Tv and...."

And videos.....Sure see a lot during the day.....

But back to what I started with.....I have yet to see or hear about " claims" at 2,3,4 , in the morning , in the pitch black , and quiet....( with or without night vision )

pre-investigation- Spend a long time in the location so you know what naturally occurs in the house. Something may seem anomalous to someone who is unfamiliar with the location. (that's the surveillance and observation)

Multiple microphones- While I don't believe in EVPs, investigators hear anomalous sounds when reviewing their material. Multiple mics help locate the origin of the anomalous sound aiding in identification. Also, this should be listened to in real time rather that after the fact, ideally.

Lights on- we require light to see. There is nothing on earth, substance or being that can be seen better in the dark. You're searching for something elusive, why hinder your greatest sense. (I just posted that same sentence in another thread :lol: ) so, hypothetically, yes. You CAN see them better in the light.

there's a lot of good advice in knowing your surroundings and the sounds and occurrances that happen at a location, and most importantly, lighting to be able to see what is actually happening. so many of these shows us nightvision cameras to make it seem spooky coupled with the obnoxious haunted house creepy sound effects.

when things first started getting strange at my house (which is why i joined this site) i set up my camera at night with the lights off. and when i was in the other room and the stereo came on by itself, what did i see on the tape? nothing. only muddled darkness.

*edit* forgot to add that my lights were off too......

Edited by Grape Soda

Well, I think the history can help you find out if there is anything running under the building or underground around the property that could be causing problems like damaged utility lines and pipes, or improperly capped cisterns and wells. Or if there could be a problem resulting from a previous bit of construction. Where/when the house was built and what's been done to the place since then can totally yield clues for why some weird stuff happens. Even the ghost stories themselves help. They give pointers as to where to look more closely. For instance, a story about smelling smoke or ash in a bedroom and hearing a moaning. You do your research, and find out about a small fire there 50 years ago of the place that resulted in a man being badly burned. Could be that there's residual damage behind the walls that are only now starting to be an actual problem due to a not so good repair job rather than a burnt man ghost.

Even in outdoor scenarios the history of a place can help a lot. For instance, Bachelors Grove cemetery is supposed to have some great evp and hearing stuff action. But when you look at the history of the place, you find that there is a sound corridor left from when a section of the turnpike was closed decades ago and the natural park allowed to grow in. Plays great with the pond on the other side with a creek and bridge right next to that adding extra sound bounce action.

History can also help with WTF stuff. Like a hanging man ghost when there isn't a speck of history to suggest that there should be anything vaguely like that showing up. Or with some locations, buildings that are supposed to have existed, yet not a single scrap of info on the place ever existing is found. The asylum of York, Pa gates of hell is a good example of that. An yeah, there is no Walled Lake Child Killer either.

It can also be helpful in identifying what could be paranormal stuff. The tale of the lady falling down the stairs and dying. The haunt of thumping on the stairs. Despite everything else you check out, there seems to be no other connection to the thumping other than the lady falling down the stairs. And you caught thumping on more than one mike at the same time, and caught it more than once. Comparing the thumps, it consistently sounds like something like what a lady falling down the stairs would sound like.

And I didn't mean pitch black darkness for filming. But shooting in low light conditions can yield some interesting evidence too, especially when stuff is supposed to happen at night. Filming in an overly dark setting isn't too productive, neither is floodlighting a naturally dimmer scenario. Could be that it is just your cat causing chaos with your kitchen at night, and only does it after the lights are dim and all is quiet :) That's part of the reason why I think light and dark settings are good for recording. Different stuff happens at different times of day.

I totally agree with you about no over all dark recording. The 1-2 night dark stunt recordings with mostly live and staged live footage are really disappointing to me. If haunts are happening, they could very well be happening at any time.

I think looking at property maps, blueprints, and other maps is a good idea. I mean the history of who's lived and died. If you catch any anomalous sounds or activity you now have created a conformation bias. what once was a creaking board is a little girl's voice and so on. You see that on a lot of the shows, i've noticed.

Filming in low light is bound to cause more anomalies too, things look different in the dark. A good example is an early episode of Ghost Hunters (called the gibbon house?) where Steve was holding a camera, sitting on a couch. He stood up and there appeared to be a figure rising up over his shoulder (?) If you look closely at the walk through portion, however, you'll notice that there was a small statue on the coffee table where he was sitting that caused that illusion. Your eyes play tricks in the dark

My question, are night time ghost sightings really more common? Maybe that's because a lot of people associate the dark with fear (ghost stories) and many people are inherently afraid of the dark. I can't say i've heard more ghost sitings in the dark. I'm pretty sure the majority of them happen when the witness is alone, however :hmm:

edit: I wasn't intentionally being vague. does that answer your questions?

Yup, it answers most of them. Not all off the mark either. It may require some more consideration on my part.

when I was with my paranormal investigation group for xmas we got a "redneck" ghost hunting kit. It contained holy water for evil spirits, a prayer card for when times get tough and 6 marbles..replacements for when I lost mine.

• The topic was locked