Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Deluxe Ghost Hunting Kit" for sale on A&E

Grape Soda

There is no such thing as Holy water. I could never understand why people rely on a small bottle of water blessed or otherwise. I know in wicca they charge water in their rituals, unless this is similar, to me Holy water has just as much value as snake oil ointment.

I think a paranorml invetigators kit would be fun to own.

i was watching a show on A&E earlier today, and there was an advert for that stupid "paranormal state" show followed by a blurb to go to the website to purchase dvd box sets of said stupid show as well as a "ghost hunting kit". my sick curiosity got the better of me...

i went to check out the "kit" which costs $100(US). it contains an emf meter, a motion alarm, a mic/speaker ("EVP Listener"), a digital termometer, and a case to carry it all.

i think this clearly shows what a money making farce "paranormal investigation" has become when tv websites are selling their own "ghost hunting" kits.

Ugh. Thats awful.

So, you get something to detect magenetic fields (not ghosts), a motion detector to sense physical beings (not ghosts) and a mic to record voices and noise (not ghosts).

Lovely. Thanks A&E.

Ugh. Thats awful.

So, you get something to detect magenetic fields (not ghosts), a motion detector to sense physical beings (not ghosts) and a mic to record voices and noise (not ghosts).

Lovely. Thanks A&E.

Do you have evidence or proof that they do not detect ghosts?

Yes. Its the fact that the EMF is for electromagnetic fields. Not Ghosts. People just came up with the idea it is.

Its as silly as saying the odometer changes when a ghost is near.

And the mics dont detect anything either, EVPs are a modern idea based on superstition and pareidolia of the ears.

Proof lies with the claimant. ;)

None of the equipment in a ghost hunting kit was ever specifically designed with ghost hunting in mind. To ask someone to prove they DON'T detect ghosts is ludicrous. It's your obligation, assuming you think they do, to prove it, not vice versa.

I've been sent a couple of the kits over the years, the last one I received ran to several hundred pounds. Everything contained in the flashy aluminium case was your typical ghost hunting kit which is about as much use as trying to catch a spirit with a fishing net. :)

As for Holy Water, whilst I agree in part that it actually doesn't exist, try telling a fundamental Catholic that. ;)

Edited by Phenomenon

Yes. Its the fact that the EMF is for electromagnetic fields. Not Ghosts. People just came up with the idea it is.

Its as silly as saying the odometer changes when a ghost is near.

And the mics dont detect anything either, EVPs are a modern idea based on superstition and pareidolia of the ears.

EMF's may be effected by spirits...it's a pretty weird theory, but it is a theory...

EVP's...if I hadn't heard some myself, I'd agree...but I have heard a few that leave me at a total loss...pareidola of the ears? I'd agree in MANY cases. I get trashed for throwing out what others claim are "EVP's". But like I said, I have personally collected a few that are so clearly a vocalization...it makes me wonder how the hell they are getting picked up! Not IF they are voices, but how the hell did THAT VOICE get on THAT RECORDER. :wacko:

EMF's may be effected by spirits...it's a pretty weird theory, but it is a theory...

EVP's...if I hadn't heard some myself, I'd agree...but I have heard a few that leave me at a total loss...pareidola of the ears? I'd agree in MANY cases. I get trashed for throwing out what others claim are "EVP's". But like I said, I have personally collected a few that are so clearly a vocalization...it makes me wonder how the hell they are getting picked up! Not IF they are voices, but how the hell did THAT VOICE get on THAT RECORDER. :wacko:

No one knows where that EMF theory came from. Lots of people buy into it, but know one can say why. Technically, it's not even a theory, Just a wild guess with nothing to support it.

Are you able to share these EVPs? Also, since they were most likely listened to after the fact, there's no way of knowing where the sound came from. A disembodied voice should be the last explanation that crosses anyone's mind.

I don't believe in EMFs and I have a theeory on EVPs too, that digital recorders are so accute they can pick conversations from down the street, since most evps sound whispered or you have to strain to listen to them. Sound waves travel so that is probably what its picking up. Just theory, I have no proof either way. Nor do I believe in orbs.

The only way to really prove anything is to go on an investigation ourselves.

I also think investigating in the dark is stupid. Of course its going to be creepier in the dark I understand it adds atmosphere on tv shows, but when most accounts are told in day time, or with the lights on.

I don't believe in EMFs and I have a theeory on EVPs too, that digital recorders are so accute they can pick conversations from down the street, since most evps sound whispered or you have to strain to listen to them. Sound waves travel so that is probably what its picking up. Just theory, I have no proof either way. Nor do I believe in orbs.

Ehhh, no. And thats very vague. Whats "down the street" and what digital recorder?

Besides, you wouldnt hear the people down the street, you hear a wall of sound from everything around you being pushed in a single channel basically and muffled. Producing "voices" as is usually the case with evps.

as many have already said... ugh! sad thing is I can only imagine how much money they are making off this farce. Sometimes i just feel like putting some folk in a headlock and giving them a "noogies" Hello, Hello, McFly!

No one knows where that EMF theory came from. Lots of people buy into it, but know one can say why. Technically, it's not even a theory, Just a wild guess with nothing to support it.

Are you able to share these EVPs? Also, since they were most likely listened to after the fact, there's no way of knowing where the sound came from. A disembodied voice should be the last explanation that crosses anyone's mind.

Unable to share them at this time. I wish I could, but there are privacy issues etc. I don't really "own" them. But my point was, in this particular case, I KNOW there is a voice there, and I know it wasn't "contamination" in this specific case. It's not garbled, it's not "matrixing" or anything...it's just plainly a voice.

At first, listening on the recorder itself, it sounds like "Thank you". After getting on the PC, amplifying it and filtering the ambient noise, it's clearly "...take it..."

Now, I'm not saying it's a ghost. I do wonder how the hell it got on that recorder though. It's pretty weird.

EMF's...it is a little out there. However...a device with a wide enough spectrum and sensitivity can pick up people, so why not spirits...in theory of course.

I dunno how good an EMF detector is for picking up ghosts... But it sure is handy for helping one find yucky wiring :) I suppose in that sense, wouldn't an EMF detector be considered a debunking tool instead of a hunting tool?

hmmm, makes me wonder... What would be good equipment for a ghost debunking kit?

Edited by rashore

I dunno how good an EMF detector is for picking up ghosts... But it sure is handy for helping one find yucky wiring :) I suppose in that sense, wouldn't an EMF detector be considered a debunking tool instead of a hunting tool?

hmmm, makes me wonder... What would be good equipment for a ghost debunking kit?

EMF detectors are indeed a good debunking tool. EMF's have scientifically been proven to have a direct effect on human behavior and what-not.

Good debunking kit...?

Good directional mic with a recorder, thermometers, EMF detectors, carbon dioxide detectors...anything that may detect a substance or condition that could cause auditory or visual hallucinations.

EMF detectors are indeed a good debunking tool. EMF's have scientifically been proven to have a direct effect on human behavior and what-not.

Actually, I don't think that has been proven. I know there's been some debate about it, though. I have some doubts about EM fields from household appliances noticeably affecting anyone.

• 6 years later...

I believe rashore and callis are correct with their points. As to enough consistency being recorded whether by audio, video or other measuring devices are part of the Scientific Method. This should be used in all Paranormal Investigations.

According to Albert Einstein, "All knowledge of reality starts from experience and ends in it. Propositions arrived at by purely logical means are completely empty as regards reality. Because Galileo saw this, and particularly because he drummed it into the scientific world, he is the father of modern physics — indeed, of modern science altogether."

The Scientific Method

1- Formulation of a question 
2- Hypothesis 
3- Prediction 
4- Testing
5- Analysis

Other components are 
- replication
- external review (expert giving opinions anonymously)

- Data recording and Sharing

On 11/30/2010 at 2:47 AM, eqgumby said:

EMF's have scientifically been proven to have a direct effect on human behavior and what-not.

Would you mind backing that one up?  Thanks.  There are some 'effects' on humans at the extreme ends, eg microwaves = heating, and high energy radiation (eg nuclear/gamma/xray) causing damage to cells/dna, but as for behavioral effects at normal levels of background emf???  I'd like to see your scientific references on that claim.

6 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

Would you mind backing that one up?  Thanks.  There are some 'effects' on humans at the extreme ends, eg microwaves = heating, and high energy radiation (eg nuclear/gamma/xray) causing damage to cells/dna, but as for behavioral effects at normal levels of background emf???  I'd like to see your scientific references on that claim.

Just sayin.. you aren't going to get an answer. The person you are quoting hasn't been here in years.

Since this thread is several years old, I'm going to go ahead and close it.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked