Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

An example of what's gone wrong in the U.S...

Ten301

I'm sorry, I just need to vent...

Today I sat for over three hours in the DTA (Department of Transitional Assistance) office in Massachusetts. This basically is what used to be called the "welfare office", where you go for all types of assistance. Needless to say, it's a somewhat humiliating experience. I have been fighting for disability, as I have a seizure disorder caused by an ongoing illness, and have not been able to work since March of this year. I just needed to apply for assistance for some basic needs. I have worked hard all of my life, and never had the need for such help in the past.

Due to my situation, I was told that I may qualify for some financial and medical assistance. After waiting all of that time, I was rejected in less than two minutes. The reason: I own a car. My car is worth approximately $12,500 according to the book value. Because of that, I was rejected. I told the case worker that I need my car to get to medical appointments. His response: "I don't make the rules". I asked if I would need to sell my car. His response: "It wouldn't do any good, because then I'd have to reject you because you'd have the money from the sale of your car". His final words to me: "Have a good day, Mr. ----", as he walked me to the door.

Now, here's the kicker...

There was a very talkative woman also waiting for her appointment. Everyone in the room heard her entire life story several times over during the course of the waiting period. She was in her mid-40's, and stated that she had 14 children (all hers). The youngest being 3 months, who was with her. She also stated that she was two months pregnant with her 15th. When someone in the room questioned as to whether she was ready to stop, she replied, "No, I love kids. I plan to keep having them until I can't anymore". This woman went in for her appointment before me, and came out grinning ear-to-ear. She had been approved for an increase in her benefits.

And I walked away with nothing.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Disbeliever

• The Silver Thong

• soulseeker

• supervike

Move to Australia. You would have been approved with out a doubt.

Sorry to hear of your experience Ten. You may want to check out some of your local church charities.

Good Luck.

When I picture our welfare system I would think that I would hear many stories like yours, and that is who I think should be afforded benefits, people in need of temporary assistance, or the medically disabled. The problem is that it seems for every person that qualifies for that there is someone else that refuses to enable themselves to get off of benefits.

When the system adapts to the moocher, why would they?

Edited by The Angry Tuna

They should take all of those women and the men getting them pregnant and put them on a farm and make them work and take responsibility for those kids. Welfare is temporary help for people who ahve worked and put some effort into life. No one should be allowed to plan their lives around it.

Due to my situation, I was told that I may qualify for some financial and medical assistance. After waiting all of that time, I was rejected in less than two minutes. The reason: I own a car. My car is worth approximately $12,500 according to the book value. Because of that, I was rejected. I told the case worker that I need my car to get to medical appointments. His response: "I don't make the rules". I asked if I would need to sell my car. His response: "It wouldn't do any good, because then I'd have to reject you because you'd have the money from the sale of your car". His final words to me: "Have a good day, Mr. ----", as he walked me to the door.

You could have just done what 90% of the people do and just lie. No one admits to anything unless the other guy has proof. "Car? What Car? Oh that? It's a 1970s pontiac. What? You just looked at it and got the VIN? Oh, well actually it is my friends car. What, you found the registration and it is in my name? Uhhhh... Actually it was previously in a wreck and I bought it salvage so it has no value." And on and on. People are such liars.

Move to Australia. You would have been approved with out a doubt.

Actually, they don't take people with pre-existing medical conditions. Some friends of mine were almost not allowed to immigrate to Oz due to their son being 10 pounds over their (over)weight limit. Anything that provokes seizures will be right out. Plus, you have to have a sponsor there and a job lined up for at least one person in the family. Those who can't work are not invited to their party.

Edited by DieChecker

Actually, they don't take people with pre-existing medical conditions. Some friends of mine were almost not allowed to immigrate to Oz due to their son being 10 pounds over their (over)weight limit. Anything that provokes seizures will be right out. Plus, you have to have a sponsor there and a job lined up for at least one person in the family. Those who can't work are not invited to their party.

Well of course, no offense to the OP but why would a country allow someone in who has to go on the DOLE? All countries are like that. They are not going to pay for a foreigner to do nothing, medical or not. I was just saying in Australia he would have got it.

Maybe. The same friends DID go to Australia and found they had to drive 2 hours to the doctor they were allowed to have, and they could not the same medications they could in the States, there is not as much selection and if you are allergic to the one they have, you are SOL. They don't have all the expensive conviences that the US has, no Extra tests, but it is usually helpful and Free.

It sounds like you were applying to Suplimental Security Income(SSI), because with SSI, it does matter if you have a vehicle. However, with SSD, it does not. Just your medical condition is evaluated, but it has to be severe enough that you can't hold down ANY job, not just the job you held previously. Also, it is getting much harder to obtain SSD, however it can be done. If you did apply to SSD and you were rejected, you can file an appeal. You normally have 30- 60 days to file an appeal of the decision. If they reject you again, you can file another appeal and have a hearing before a SSD judge, which you can hire an attorney to help you. It's a long process, though, and it could take up to 3 years before you see any past benefits (if they do decide to appove you). I hope you can get some help. Good luck.

Maybe. The same friends DID go to Australia and found they had to drive 2 hours to the doctor they were allowed to have, and they could not the same medications they could in the States, there is not as much selection and if you are allergic to the one they have, you are SOL. They don't have all the expensive conviences that the US has, no Extra tests, but it is usually helpful and Free.

Maybe it was just the area they were in, we have all the medications the US has. Ours are under different names, but they are the same. Our medical tests are the same too, they might just had to travel to get the tests. Or they just got a lousy doctor.

Today I sat for over three hours in the DTA (Department of Transitional Assistance) office in Massachusetts. This basically is what used to be called the "welfare office", where you go for all types of assistance. Needless to say, it's a somewhat humiliating experience. I have been fighting for disability, as I have a seizure disorder caused by an ongoing illness, and have not been able to work since March of this year. I just needed to apply for assistance for some basic needs. I have worked hard all of my life, and never had the need for such help in the past.

There was a very talkative woman also waiting for her appointment. Everyone in the room heard her entire life story several times over during the course of the waiting period. She was in her mid-40's, and stated that she had 14 children (all hers). The youngest being 3 months, who was with her. She also stated that she was two months pregnant with her 15th. When someone in the room questioned as to whether she was ready to stop, she replied, "No, I love kids. I plan to keep having them until I can't anymore". This woman went in for her appointment before me, and came out grinning ear-to-ear. She had been approved for an increase in her benefits.

First off if you got 14 kids you need your f-ing head examined,,that is disgusting.

Edited by Col. Kurtz

First off if you got 14 kids you need your f-ing head examined,,that is disgusting.

How is having 14 children disgusting? IF you can afford it, then why not? I want many children, and we can afford it, so we are.

It is very sad America is the land of Slackers anymore.....work hard your whole life and get **** on....be a lazy idiot and get everything handed to you.

I would go to your local disability office and fight for disability. it took me 5 years but I finnaly got it. Unfortunately that just made more stress for me. They have 17,000 dollars of my money and rufuse to give me more than 2000 every 6 months. I could have made a downpayment on ahouse and got a new car but nooo....apparently too many ppl were spending their disability money on drugs & alchol...Funny thing is there giving my stepdad all of his money & he's the biggest drunk I know.

How is having 14 children disgusting? IF you can afford it, then why not? I want many children, and we can afford it, so we are.

First off the lady was in a place to get welfare or aid so no, she can't afford her off spring... I also think 14 kids is disgusting to bring into this world no matter how much money you have. Adopt if you want to help, don't add to the problem FFS.

She's having kid's so she get's more money, I bet a dollar these kids are not growing up in an ideal environment and I will say it again, disgusting.......

First off the lady was in a place to get welfare or aid so no, she can't afford her off spring... I also think 14 kids is disgusting to bring into this world no matter how much money you have. Adopt if you want to help, don't add to the problem FFS.

She's having kid's so she get's more money, I bet a dollar these kids are not growing up in an ideal environment and I will say it again, disgusting.......

Yes having children to get money is disgusting. I want many kids, because I love children. We will adopt a few as well, but I want my own first. It's my right as an animal to have children, how ever many I wish, it's not disgusting.

It is very sad America is the land of Slackers anymore.....work hard your whole life and get **** on....be a lazy idiot and get everything handed to you.

I would go to your local disability office and fight for disability. it took me 5 years but I finnaly got it. Unfortunately that just made more stress for me. They have 17,000 dollars of my money and rufuse to give me more than 2000 every 6 months. I could have made a downpayment on ahouse and got a new car but nooo....apparently too many ppl were spending their disability money on drugs & alchol...Funny thing is there giving my stepdad all of his money & he's the biggest drunk I know.

You want payments from the government to buy a new house and a new car? Your post was unclear why it took you 5 years to get on the dole/welfare. $2000 every six months :blink:

Yes having children to get money is disgusting. I want many kids, because I love children. We will adopt a few as well, but I want my own first. It's my right as an animal to have children, how ever many I wish, it's not disgusting.

Even an animal knows there limits and if they don't they eat there babies. Hope you have the money.

Even an animal knows there limits and if they don't they eat there babies. Hope you have the money.

We know our limits, we will have children until we say stop, not when society says we should. Yes we have the money, plenty.

You want payments from the government to buy a new house and a new car? Your post was unclear why it took you 5 years to get on the dole/welfare. $2000 every six months :blink:

no I get disability...i was badly burned in a fire and am unable to work......disability always takes a long time...they owe me money $17,000 but they wont give it to me I live in a **** hole drive a POS car and cant work (which bothers me alot) all I want is for my 2 children to have a nice functional home and a safe car to ride to school in.

I dont like having to depend on someone else but that is the situation I was put in. I dont get welfare I dont get foodstamps....I get disability and the total of my awarded money for the 5 years I had to fight is 17,000, I dont want more than that I just want what the judge said was rightfully mine.

We know our limits, we will have children until we say stop, not when society says we should. Yes we have the money, plenty.

GOOD.... because this thread is about those that can't duh... and having others support kids we didn't even have, get it yet?

no I get disability...i was badly burned in a fire and am unable to work......disability always takes a long time...they owe me money $17,000 but they wont give it to me I live in a **** hole drive a POS car and cant work (which bothers me alot) all I want is for my 2 children to have a nice functional home and a safe car to ride to school in.

I dont like having to depend on someone else but that is the situation I was put in. I dont get welfare I dont get foodstamps....I get disability and the total of my awarded money for the 5 years I had to fight is 17,000, I dont want more than that I just want what the judge said was rightfully mine.

I am so sorry about that and if you had said why I would have never have lashed out at you. I now feel rather bad for doing so and I apologize for that. I have known many to abuse the system and it ticks me off but if one is in need of assistance then by all means I am for it and support it, I lean a wee bit to the liberal side of things here in Canada and I know in the US liberal can be a bad word. I hope you the best and to get the help you need and can get. Again, sorry for my assumption.

I am so sorry about that and if you had said why I would have never have lashed out at you. I now feel rather bad for doing so and I apologize for that. I have known many to abuse the system and it ticks me off but if one is in need of assistance then by all means I am for it and support it, I lean a wee bit to the liberal side of things here in Canada and I know in the US liberal can be a bad word. I hope you the best and to get the help you need and can get. Again, sorry for my assumption.

No worries dear, misunderstandings happen. I know how you feel, when I see people abusing the system I just wanna punch them in the throat.