Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The big fear

UM-Bot

Jann Burner: The Big fear (that we all seem to have) is of being “FREE”. It would seem we are all spiritual agoraphobics. Our innate spiritual integrity has been stained like a drop of ink in a glass of Clear Mountain spring water. We rush from childhood to adolescence to adulthood establishing more and more limits on our “freedom”. We do this to ourselves. We do this to combat fear in our lives and we enlist the help of everyone we meet. And I’m not talking about the fear of violence or catastrophe; I am speaking about the myriad fears that lead to patterned behaviors that lead to shared group fears and patterns that eventually lead to what we call culture, and through shared culture, Civilization. We fear freedom and space without containment. Like rats in a maze of our own creation, we operate under the assumption that the walls of the maze are protecting us, when in reality they are holding us prisoner. Civilization, as we know it, is nothing more than an elaborate grid of patterned ritual to hold back fear, while keeping the personal concept of the Ego…intact.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• Yinarchy

• Trog

• OrdinaryClay

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit that I haven't had the pleasure of reading Jann Bruner's book 'Metaphor Bridge' , but from reading this short Front Page article it's easy to see that the author has quite a unique style of writing .

But fear of open spaces ? May be for some sheltered timid people , the people living in the High-rise apartment blocks in most cities are there as a result of work opportunities , and may be some poor planing (lack of decentralization) but the majority of people would rather live in a house on a quarter acre block with the white picket fence , at least all the people that I know would .

Being busy for most people is just a way to make more money which seems to be the new God that most people worship to-day , but that doesn't apply to all .

The cards we are dealt are in fact the cards that we asked for , there is nothing random , life has a purpose and our card should lead us down the right path to fulfill that purpose , but I will admit that some people would rather follow their own 'Free Will' which may offer an elusion of excitement , but that's all , just an elusion .

I like the metaphor of the savages around the fire , but , is it a metaphor ? Life is still a jungle , look how long humans have been around and we're still killing each other off in great numbers and all in the name of civilization .

We have a long way to go before we become civilized , if ever , because humans are natural born killers , so I think it would be a good idea to hang on to the 'Dark Suitcase' for a few more life times yet .

But may be the 'Metaphor Bridge' has gone right over my head and I just didn't get it at all ? If so please feel free to enlighten me .

Our fear is based on the fact that we are each responsible for our own reality. Thank you for your column. Want to give you a positive comment, because most will attack and argue out of fear.

This article was not entirely coherent. It jumped around talking fancy and saying nothing. We don't fear freedom. We desire conformity. Why? Because it is a great survival strategy as a species.