Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Two F-14s kidnapped by UFO near Puerto Rico

AH-64Apache

Two F-14s kidnapped by a UFO near Roosevelt Roads Naval Air Station in Puorto Rico on December 28, 1988, says former US Navy aircraft maintenance technician:

http://www.cavinessreport.com/ED2.html

Navy Encounter with a UFO

I remember an incident that occurred during the first few days of 1989 when I was on active duty with the US Navy at Cecil Field Naval Air Station in Florida. I was assigned to one of the many work centers inside the base's aircraft electronics repair facility (officially, the Aviation Intermediate Maintenance Department or AIMD). A shipmate and good buddy of mine at the time was back from a few weeks stay at our naval air base in Puerto RicoRoosevelt Roads Naval Air Station. I greeted him when I first saw him in the AIMD work center at Cecil Field and quickly noticed that he seemed a bit down. I asked him what was wrong and he told me that the Puerto Rico base's F-14 fighter squadron had just lost two aircraft (this would have included two pilotsand two radar intercept officers who flew back seat). The following is how our conversation went according to memory.

I was surprised when he said two aircraft, and I asked, >>Are you serious?<< And he replied, >>Yeah<<.

I thought a moment then said, >>Midair collision?<< But, much to my astonishment, he said, >>No<<.

I then asked, >>What do you mean, no midair collision? How, then, could they lose two airplanes the same day?<<

I noticed that he didn't seem to want to go into detail for some strange reason. This was not normal for him. Normally, this man, a dedicated sailor and skilled technician, would have been eager to tell me anything he could about an aircraft mishap including his own speculations. But, not this time.

The navy would lose a plane somewhere ever so often and we would usually get word of it very quickly through unofficial channels in the naval aviation communityand personnel were usually eager to pass on what news they could. I knew my shipmate had friends in that squadron from previous visits he had made to Roosevelt Roads Naval Air Station or, "N.A.S. Rosy Roads", as we always called it. But, it was unusual to hear of two planes being lost in one day and even more unusual for it not to be due to a midair collision. And, as if that wasn't enough, it was becoming even more unusual because he was being reluctant to talk about it. I pressed him.

>>Well, what happened?<<, >>Oh, I can't really talk about it<<, he said. >>There's an investigation still ongoing...<<

That had never stopped any of us before from spreading news of an aircraft mishap. Suddenly, I got the impression that he had been told not to talk.

But, I asked, >>Well, can you tell me anything else?<<

He basically added only that the two planes were lost at apparently the same timedefinitely on the same day, for sure. And that it wasfor some strange reasonvery "hush-hush". This didn't make sense to me. We aviation maintenance guys had a "grapevine" that was fleet-wide. Anything significant to know about would be spread pretty quickly. Usually, whenever one of our navy aircraft squadrons would lose a plane, we would find out about it quickly then wait for details to come in later. And, usually, the information was pretty reliable. But, apparently nothing was coming out regarding this incident. I had hoped that maybe I would hear something, later. But, after considerable effort to find follow-up information over the next few weeks, I realized that the investigation had indeed been handled as top secret.

This was unusual. I often wondered what must have happened. And, although, in the next few years, I found myself visiting the base at Puerto Rico for a few weeks at a time on a number of occasions, I never thought to ask anyone on the base or in that particular squadron what had happened to those two aircraft on that fateful day. With all the distractions of navy life, I simply did not think about it very much over the following years.

In 1992, I was discharged from the US Navy and went back into civilian life after 10 years of service total. In the following years, I had my first recognizable UFO sighting and by 1999 had decided to become a UFO investigator. Around 2007, I was skimming through a UFO book and happened to notice a UFO case involving two US Navy F-14 fighter planes. I didn't even make a connection at first, but then, I suddenly remembered the incident back at Cecil Field where my shipmate had told me of a squadron losing two F-14s at the same time but not due to a midair collision. Was the incident in 1988 really a UFO incident? I read on. I saw in the book the exact date and location of the incident and realized that this had to be one and the same.

The author stated in his book that on December 28, 1988, at approximately 7:45 pm, a large triangle craft roughly the size of a baseball field was seen moving steadily along in the region near the naval air station in Puerto Rico, according to many witnesses (over a hundred). Three F-14s intercepted the moving UFO and apparently tried to force it to change its course. As the navy fighter planes engaged the large craft, it slowed down its forward speed almost to a standstill. One plane, in particular, stayed mostly to the right of the UFO and another stayed behind the UFO making close approaches at times. The third plane apparently stayed a bit farther out. The F-14 in the rear came close to the object, but as it flew either over or under the object, it was not seen again. Small red lights were also seen at times flying outside the large craft and may have served to protect the craft. It was as if the fighter plane had somehow been drawn into the large craft. The second aircraft made a sweep closer to the large object and was seen by one ground witnessusing binocularsto suddenly disappearpossibly being taken in by the UFO. The third F-14 reportedly high-tailed it out of the area on afterburner with glowing red lights chasing after it apparently in pursuit, according to ground witnesses.

Just after the unidentified craft had confiscated the two fighters, it began to steadily descend almost to the ground. In a blinding flash of yellow light, the large craft divided into two sectionsactually, two separate craft. They both quickly flew off in different directionsone heading in the direction of the escaping F-14. The story goes that there was an immediate government cover-up and the military denied the entire story of an unidentified craft. Rear Admiral David Rogers, Deputy Assistant Chief of Naval Operations, in response to an inquiry, told a member of the House of Representatives, that no aircraft mishaps had even occurred during the time of the reported incident and that no aircraft had been lost. (I know better.)

I was amazed by the fact that, after 20 years, I was able to confirm an astonishing UFO encounter directly involving the military. And, I was personally familiar with this very incidentat least from its outer periphery. I knew for a fact that the US Navy in Puerto Rico did indeed lose two F-14s in one day and that there was a top secret investigationthe only time in my navy career that I could not get a follow-up on an aircraft mishap.

In recent years, I discovered that Puerto Rico has been a hotbed for reports and claims of UFO activity including some wildly fascinating reports from many residents in certain areas of the island involving personal contact with nonhuman beings, sightings of strange animal creaturesand underground facilities with many nonhuman residents.

Some of the hottest areas for ET activity are reported to be around the naval base on the eastern end of the island as well as areas along the southwestern corner of Puerto Rico. UFOs have also been seen going into the waters in these areas. Many residents, some with considerable credibilityhave claimed to see UFOs all over Puerto Rico since around 1930including a 1992 sighting of a saucer-shaped craft being chased by a military jet observed by Freddie Cruzthen director of the Civil Defense Agency of Lajas, Puerto Rico.

Edited by AH-64Apache
  • Like 1

Two F-14s kidnapped by a UFO near Roosevelt Roads Naval Air Station in Puorto Rico on December 28, 1988, says former US Navy aircraft maintenance technician:

Navy Encounter with a UFO

I remember an incident that occurred during the first few days of 1989 when I was on active duty with the US Navy at Cecil Field Naval Air Station in Florida. I was assigned to one of the many work centers inside the base's aircraft electronics repair facility (officially, the Aviation Intermediate Maintenance Department or AIMD). A shipmate and good buddy of mine at the time was back from a few weeks stay at our naval air base in Puerto Rico—Roosevelt Roads Naval Air Station. I greeted him when I first saw him in the AIMD work center at Cecil Field and quickly noticed that he seemed a bit down. I asked him what was wrong and he told me that the Puerto Rico base's F-14 fighter squadron had just lost two aircraft (this would have included two pilots—and two radar intercept officers who flew back seat). The following is how our conversation went according to memory.

I was surprised when he said two aircraft, and I asked, >>Are you serious?<< And he replied, >>Yeah<<.

I thought a moment then said, >>Midair collision?<< But, much to my astonishment, he said, >>No<<.

I then asked, >>What do you mean, no midair collision? How, then, could they lose two airplanes the same day?<<

I noticed that he didn't seem to want to go into detail for some strange reason. This was not normal for him. Normally, this man, a dedicated sailor and skilled technician, would have been eager to tell me anything he could about an aircraft mishap including his own speculations. But, not this time.

The navy would lose a plane somewhere ever so often and we would usually get word of it very quickly through unofficial channels in the naval aviation community—and personnel were usually eager to pass on what news they could. I knew my shipmate had friends in that squadron from previous visits he had made to Roosevelt Roads Naval Air Station or, "N.A.S. Rosy Roads", as we always called it. But, it was unusual to hear of two planes being lost in one day and even more unusual for it not to be due to a midair collision. And, as if that wasn't enough, it was becoming even more unusual because he was being reluctant to talk about it. I pressed him.

>>Well, what happened?<<, >>Oh, I can't really talk about it<<, he said. >>There's an investigation still ongoing...<<

That had never stopped any of us before from spreading news of an aircraft mishap. Suddenly, I got the impression that he had been told not to talk.

But, I asked, >>Well, can you tell me anything else?<<

He basically added only that the two planes were lost at apparently the same time—definitely on the same day, for sure. And that it was—for some strange reason—very "hush-hush". This didn't make sense to me. We aviation maintenance guys had a "grapevine" that was fleet-wide. Anything significant to know about would be spread pretty quickly. Usually, whenever one of our navy aircraft squadrons would lose a plane, we would find out about it quickly then wait for details to come in later. And, usually, the information was pretty reliable. But, apparently nothing was coming out regarding this incident. I had hoped that maybe I would hear something, later. But, after considerable effort to find follow-up information over the next few weeks, I realized that the investigation had indeed been handled as top secret.

This was unusual. I often wondered what must have happened. And, although, in the next few years, I found myself visiting the base at Puerto Rico for a few weeks at a time on a number of occasions, I never thought to ask anyone on the base or in that particular squadron what had happened to those two aircraft on that fateful day. With all the distractions of navy life, I simply did not think about it very much over the following years.

In 1992, I was discharged from the US Navy and went back into civilian life after 10 years of service total. In the following years, I had my first recognizable UFO sighting and by 1999 had decided to become a UFO investigator. Around 2007, I was skimming through a UFO book and happened to notice a UFO case involving two US Navy F-14 fighter planes. I didn't even make a connection at first, but then, I suddenly remembered the incident back at Cecil Field where my shipmate had told me of a squadron losing two F-14s at the same time but not due to a midair collision. Was the incident in 1988 really a UFO incident? I read on. I saw in the book the exact date and location of the incident and realized that this had to be one and the same.

The author stated in his book that on December 28, 1988, at approximately 7:45 pm, a large triangle craft roughly the size of a baseball field was seen moving steadily along in the region near the naval air station in Puerto Rico, according to many witnesses (over a hundred). Three F-14s intercepted the moving UFO and apparently tried to force it to change its course. As the navy fighter planes engaged the large craft, it slowed down its forward speed almost to a standstill. One plane, in particular, stayed mostly to the right of the UFO and another stayed behind the UFO making close approaches at times. The third plane apparently stayed a bit farther out. The F-14 in the rear came close to the object, but as it flew either over or under the object, it was not seen again. Small red lights were also seen at times flying outside the large craft and may have served to protect the craft. It was as if the fighter plane had somehow been drawn into the large craft. The second aircraft made a sweep closer to the large object and was seen by one ground witness—using binoculars—to suddenly disappear—possibly being taken in by the UFO. The third F-14 reportedly high-tailed it out of the area on afterburner with glowing red lights chasing after it apparently in pursuit, according to ground witnesses.

Just after the unidentified craft had confiscated the two fighters, it began to steadily descend almost to the ground. In a blinding flash of yellow light, the large craft divided into two sections—actually, two separate craft. They both quickly flew off in different directions—one heading in the direction of the escaping F-14. The story goes that there was an immediate government cover-up and the military denied the entire story of an unidentified craft. Rear Admiral David Rogers, Deputy Assistant Chief of Naval Operations, in response to an inquiry, told a member of the House of Representatives, that no aircraft mishaps had even occurred during the time of the reported incident and that no aircraft had been lost. (I know better.)

I was amazed by the fact that, after 20 years, I was able to confirm an astonishing UFO encounter directly involving the military. And, I was personally familiar with this very incident—at least from its outer periphery. I knew for a fact that the US Navy in Puerto Rico did indeed lose two F-14s in one day and that there was a top secret investigation—the only time in my navy career that I could not get a follow-up on an aircraft mishap.

In recent years, I discovered that Puerto Rico has been a hotbed for reports and claims of UFO activity including some wildly fascinating reports from many residents in certain areas of the island involving personal contact with nonhuman beings, sightings of strange animal creatures—and underground facilities with many nonhuman residents.

Some of the hottest areas for ET activity are reported to be around the naval base on the eastern end of the island as well as areas along the southwestern corner of Puerto Rico. UFOs have also been seen going into the waters in these areas. Many residents, some with considerable credibility—have claimed to see UFOs all over Puerto Rico since around 1930—including a 1992 sighting of a saucer-shaped craft being chased by a military jet observed by Freddie Cruz—then director of the Civil Defense Agency of Lajas, Puerto Rico.

welcome to UM AH-64Apache,

thanks for posting the story....very interesting indeed.

May I ask since becoming a UFO investigator what is the single most conclusive bit of evidence you have come across? :rolleyes:

Needs more evidence.

But somehting that makes that story more interesting is that it's a triangle and not a saucer. I beleive the triangle UFO cases more as I have seen one myself.

Thing is could they just have been covering up the fact they lost 2 very expensive fighter Jets?! Famous last words from one of the pilots "Dave, watch this awesome maneuver" LOL

Edited by Coffey

Needs more evidence.

But somehting that makes that story more interesting is that it's a triangle and not a saucer. I beleive the triangle UFO cases more as I have seen one myself.

Thing is could they just have been covering up the fact they lost 2 very expensive fighter Jets?! Famous last words from one of the pilots "Dave, watch this awesome maneuver" LOL

it was actually Dave doing the maneuver :P

it was actually Dave doing the maneuver :P

Ah sorry my mistake. lol

How can you kidknapp an F-14?

That's the big question. I have no idea how they do it. The Caviness report says there were over 100 witnesses. The craft was described as triangle shaped and the size of a baseball field. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_field Most baseball fields are enclosed with a fence that marks the outer edge of the outfield. The fence is usually set at a distance ranging from 300 to 410 feet (90 to 125 m) from home plate. Let's just say the reported triangle shaped UFO was anywere between 300 to 400 feet each side. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grumman_F-14_Tomcat The F-14 is 62 feet long, wingspan spread 64 feet / swept 38 feet, hight 16 feet. I say the reported baseball field sized UFO can carry at least two F-14s onboard.

I once heard rumors about Grays walking through walls, and if it is true then they are able to defy laws of physics.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/viewnews.php?id=180500 http://www.examiner.com/ufo-in-national/ufo-picks-up-laconia-nh-car-with-teens-and-drops-180-feet-away This is a report about a UFO that lifted a car, and somehow 'swallowed' the car afterwards. It was two teenagers (boy and girl) who said they were inside the UFO for a moment, before the UFO lost interest and dropped the car to the ground.

So again, another report of a UFO that 'swallow' something, in this case a car, while the Caviness report describe the triangle UFO that 'swallowed' the two F-14s, apparently kidnapped for good.

welcome to UM AH-64Apache,

thanks for posting the story....very interesting indeed.

May I ask since becoming a UFO investigator what is the single most conclusive bit of evidence you have come across? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

No hard evidence, i'm afraid, other than a report by Alan Caviness.

Interestint account. Ive yet to hear that one.

Needs more evidence.

Yeah, it would be nice if we could see the evidence, shouting to the UFO >>Will you please show your self and let us onboard, guide us around, let us take a close look at you strange looking beings, let us take a close look at your cockpit, and let us see if the 4 kidnapped F-14 pilots are fine and doing well? And show us your home planet?<<. :P

If the Navy denied the incident ever happened how did they explain the loss of two pilots? Certainly their familes would have wanted to know.

• Like 1

Yep, has to be some record of exactly which pilots by name were part of the squadron. If all of the others are still alive, it'd be a simple task of tracking down the two who are supposedly missing and following up with their families.

Edited by SpiderCyde

I saw this story in one of Tim Good's books, I think. Fishier than a fleet of trawlers, of coruse, but like all of them it makes a good story. It should be easy enough to verify; at least, verify if two planes were lost round about the date stated. If any were, of course, then there just might be a more mundane explanation, but that wouldn't be nearly so much fun.

** Here we have alist of F-14 losses; now when was this suppsoed to happen ? "Early 1989"? Ummm.....

According to this, there were a couple of losses in December '88, but they were from VF-124, the "Top Gun" squadron in California. Anyway, if anyone would like to browse, there it is.

I don't think there were any F-14 squadrons regularly based in Puerto Rico, but it was used a lot for exercises, so maybe some accident that happened at some time or other during an exercise was elaborated into this story; I think that's probably the most likely answer.

The very dubious photos of the alleged event at the time were of F-14's and a flying saucer, not FT.

How can you kidknapp an F-14?

First You Need Tom Cruise and Moose ! And a really Big Hefty Garbage Bag. ! Keep Looking Up!

But Puerto Rico is aHotSpot fr ET`s They Love the Pork Dishes and Great People ! :rolleyes:

Welcome AH-64Apache ! ITs a Great story mufon must know of it ? Keep Looking !

Keep postin ! :unsure2:

post-68971-0-34838900-1290201274_thumb.j

Welcome AH-64Apache ! ITs a Great story mufon must know of it ? Keep Looking !

Keep postin ! :unsure2:

Lookin good there D, Cant wait to set my teeth in dat big fat bird, mmm goood

I saw this story in one of Tim Good's books, I think. Fishier than a fleet of trawlers, of coruse, but like all of them it makes a good story. It should be easy enough to verify; at least, verify if two planes were lost round about the date stated. If any were, of course, then there just might be a more mundane explanation, but that wouldn't be nearly so much fun.

** Here we have alist of F-14 losses; now when was this suppsoed to happen ? "Early 1989"? Ummm.....

According to this, there were a couple of losses in December '88, but they were from VF-124, the "Top Gun" squadron in California. Anyway, if anyone would like to browse, there it is.

I don't think there were any F-14 squadrons regularly based in Puerto Rico, but it was used a lot for exercises, so maybe some accident that happened at some time or other during an exercise was elaborated into this story; I think that's probably the most likely answer.

I agree.

There are no aircraft losses even remotely fitting the timeframe and location.

I cant find any mention of an F-14 detachment flying out NAS Roosevelt Roads or NAS Cecil Field in 1989 although the Tomcats of VF-142 spent some time at NAS Key West in the early part of the year ( with no aircraft losses ).

With the knowledge that current military aerospace have been openly operating triangular planforms for over 20 years , fantastic stories involving black triangles and little grey humanoids raise my suspicion. I believe there is sufficient evidence to exclude black triangles from the ETH.

One last nitpick I would make is naval aircombat doctrine doesn't provide for operations in flights of 3.

I think this one falls under tall tales told by NCO's to peach faced gullible sailors.

As some here already know, a variation of this one has been making the rounds for a good bit, complete with photos.:)

puertorico1988large.jpg

OVNI_Caraibes_003_Pu2.jpg

OVNI_Caraibes_001_Pu12.jpg

And one more just because a Tomcat slung with 6 AIM-54's makes for a sierra hotel photo.:yes:

untitled.jpg

Edited by Drunkenparrot
  • Like 1

Interestint account. Ive yet to hear that one.

I agree, interesting account it is.

Many years ago, i say around 1977, 1978 or 1979 i saw a movie on TV involving two F-14s flying into a cloud and never seen again. I don't recall if that movie was of authentic story, but i think they were chasing a UFO in those days of the 1970's, and the ground personnel lost contact with the pilots, after they entered the cloud.

I tried to google these lost F-14s from the 1970's to see if i could find any link about it. I couldn't find any link about it, but instead found the Caviness report, wich is not less interesting :)

Edited by AH-64Apache

The area around Puerto Rico, has been a hotspot for UFO activity. I have also mentioned from time to time, about USOs and the area around Puerto Rico.

1c89ad32f483.jpg

Personally, I don't think those F-14s were kidnapped, but worst.

Edited by skyeagle409

I agree, interesting account it is.

Many years ago, i say around 1977, 1978 or 1979 i saw a movie on TV involving two F-14s flying into a cloud and never seen again. I don't recall if that movie was of authentic story, but i think they were chasing a UFO in those days of the 1970's, and the ground personnel lost contact with the pilots, after they entered the cloud.

I tried to google these lost F-14s from the 1970's to see if i could find any link about it. I couldn't find any link about it, but instead found the Caviness report, wich is not less interesting :)

I bet I can help you with that one, The Final Countdown with Kirk Douglass and Martin Sheen...

The area around Puerto Rico, has been a hotspot for UFO activity. I have also mentioned from time to time, about USOs and the area around Puerto Rico.

Personally, I don't think those F-14s were kidnaped, but worst.

There isnt a single F-14 accident anywhere near NAS Roosevelt Roads in the late 80's much less two lost and unrecovered aircraft along with 4 MIA airmen?

I myself saw a photo of you in uniform on the flight deck of a C-5 just the other day. You know as well as I how it works and that while the USN could foreseeable intentionally falsify the truth in circumstance where nation security could be affected, they would still have to provide an alternative version to explain to 4 families why their husband, son, dad etc. didn't come home.

An alternative explanation for the airframes would be required as well, public perception of corruption and incompetence aside, the government makes it a point to keep track of its equipment. The aircraft would be quickly noticed by all kinds of people from maintenance personal to squadron command.

There are no aircraft losses even remotely fitting the timeframe and location.

I cant find any mention of an F-14 detachment flying out NAS Roosevelt Roads or NAS Cecil Field in 1989 although the Tomcats of VF-142 spent some time at NAS Key West in the early part of the year ( with no aircraft losses ).

With the knowledge that current military aerospace have been openly operating triangular planforms for over 20 years , fantastic stories involving black triangles and little grey humanoids raise my suspicion. I believe there is sufficient evidence to exclude black triangles from the ETH.

One last nitpick I would make is naval aircombat doctrine doesn't provide for operations in flights of 3.

I think this one falls under tall tales told by NCO's to peach faced gullible sailors.

Falls under tall tales told by NCO's to peach faced gullible sailors? Are you implying that Alan Caviness is a liar? :lol: Did you read the report? Have you ever heard of claimed cover ups? Do you see any mention of cover up in the report? Do you know what cover up is? If you don't know then let me know, and i will tell you :)

Have you only searched for 1989? What about 1988? And if you still can't find it, bingo, then it's possibly because of a claimed cover up.

Speaking of 1988, Alan Caviness said the author stated in his book that on December 28, 1988, at approximately 7:45 pm, a large triangle craft roughly the size of a baseball field was seen moving steadily along in the region near the naval air station in Puerto Rico, according to many witnesses (over a hundred).

You say you believe there is sufficient evidence to exclude black triangles from the ETH. Your believe, your speculation i guess, right? The report doesn't state anywhere if the UFO was piloted by ET, that's correct, but nevertheless the report says that three F-14s intercepted the moving UFO and apparently tried to force it to change its course. As the navy fighter planes engaged the large craft, it slowed down its forward speed almost to a standstill. One plane, in particular, stayed mostly to the right of the UFO and another stayed behind the UFO making close approaches at times. The third plane apparently stayed a bit farther out. The F-14 in the rear came close to the object, but as it flew either over or under the object, it was not seen again. Small red lights were also seen at times flying outside the large craft and may have served to protect the craft. It was as if the fighter plane had somehow been drawn into the large craft. The second aircraft made a sweep closer to the large object and was seen by one ground witness�using binoculars�to suddenly disappear�possibly being taken in by the UFO. The third F-14 reportedly high-tailed it out of the area on afterburner with glowing red lights chasing after it apparently in pursuit, according to ground witnesses.

Just after the unidentified craft had confiscated the two fighters, it began to steadily descend almost to the ground. In a blinding flash of yellow light, the large craft divided into two sections�actually, two separate craft. They both quickly flew off in different directions�one heading in the direction of the escaping F-14.

The Caviness report does mention about other reports of people who had encounts with strange looking beings elsewhere on the island. But that's another story :)

Edited by AH-64Apache

If the Navy denied the incident ever happened how did they explain the loss of two pilots? Certainly their familes would have wanted to know.

It could be possible that the Government had lied to the pilots' families by telling them that their sons died by accident, mid air colission, drowned in the sea, or what ever non-UFO accident story they would made up.