Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The fire ball that hit the Earth

Mr-X

On June 30, 1908 a mysterious explosian occured in the skies of Siberia. People who saw the object before the explosian described it as a "Sunlike fireball". The explosian happened at an altitude roughly 6km in the atmosphere. People that lived 60km away were thrown to the ground and knocked out. One person even died after he was tossed into the air and into a tree. After the explosian everything around was shrouded in smoke and smog from the burning trees.

Some say it could have been a meteorite. Others believe a  UFO may have crash landed on Earth. what do you think happened.

I am one to believe that there is a conspiracy involved. I dont believe it was a meteorite. It could have been a bomb that the Russians were experimenting on. UFO theory, i will have to  put a question mark on that one.

X

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Homer

• Mr-X

• Dowdy

• reese92

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr-X

If the Russians had advanced so far as to have even experimented on weaponry of that calibre in 1908, why did the Germans defeat them in The Great War(WWI)?, and came so dangerously close to defeating them again in WWII?

Homer[glow=color,strength,width]

Homer,

You are right, however couldnt it have been someone else that had that technology. Anyway thats just a thought of mine and i shouldnt of put "i believe" in the sentence so i changed it. What do you think it was that hit the Earth or blew up in the air in 1908. My heart tells me to go towards the UFO theory but i dont really know what to believe.

X

your right X, it was a UFO. A unidentifed flying object. so it could of been a meteorite, comet, anti-matter, black hole or alien spacecraft because it couldn't of been identifed by anyone.

The most widely accepted explanation is that an asteroid exploded, delivering the massive shock waves which flattened vast forests and was felt thousands of miles away. To have this effect, theorists believe the asteroid must have been approximately sixty meters in diameter. Scientists have generally dismissed the comet theory because of a comet's composition of ice and dust. Such elements would decompose well above the earth, forming a visible fireburst, but no crater or other earthly devastation. Proponents of the asteroid explanation figure that the fireball impacted the earth at roughly 62,000 mph and weighed at least 100,000 tons.

But the problem with that theory is that:

1. the explosion and utter destruction of a 100,000 ton piece of rock left no evidence other than dead trees

2. the fireball seen in 1908 was not streaking across the sky but simply appeared and "opened up the sky" "brighter than the sun".

3. there was not one big bang but a series of explosions followed by a "sound of falling rocks" in 1908

4. the alleged meteor was not reported anywhere else on earth

5. whatever weight the scant evidence of dust in resin might carry is useful only if no dust is found in the resin of normal trees

6. there is no evidence of fire in the forest even though the 1908 explosion caused the clothing of a witness more than 50 miles away to catch on fire.

So i think it will remain a mystery for another 90 years

Dowdy,

Thanks for all of that information. What interest me most about it is number three of the problem of the comet theory.

you stated that,

There was not one big bang but a series of explosians followed by a sound of falling rocks.

They say that the, lets say comet, blew in the air so i can understand the falling of rocks heard, because the explosian would have blasted that one big rock into tiny little bits. What i dont understand is the series of explosians that occured afterwards, why were there so many and not one big one. Very interesting.

X

Mr-X

It could have been someone else that had the technology, as you stated. Or maybe it was the Russians, like your first suggestion. They could have under estimated the firepower, stayed too close, and perished along with all their research when the explosion hit. Lots of possibilities.

Like Dowdy stated, it will most likely remain a mystery. But it is very interesting, as you have noted.

:-*  I leave for a short time, and you guys get into all these great debates without me.  :'(

I think that anything is possible on every level.  It sure is a great mystery.

I am glad, however, that someone pointed out that it could be a UFO; and by that, I mean, Unidentified Flying Object.  Which is really probably what it was, whether it be of Alien origin or not, who knows.  I can say that I have tracked many.  I have only had daytime sightings, which is pretty hard to confuse with a plane; but back to my point,  if they are run by various people, who knows, alien, again, who knows??  I sure would like too know. :-*

Indeed, this "mystery" has mystified me as well.  I have not done any studies on it, nor do I have even the smallest opinion about it!  Some say it CAN'T be a meteorite, nor a UFO, others say it only can be that!  Even those who are "in the know" about ET craft don't feel the "ear-marks" for a crash are high enough on the scale to warrant definite ET craft.  Unfortunately, as well, it is in such a remote area that its discovery was long after the "hit."  

Makes me wonder about psychics and remote viewers and why they haven't put their gifts to work on this one!  I know if I had the ability to do so, I would put it to work on this enigma!

-lori

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very interesting subject.  Maybe when the thing exploded the explosions following it were smaller pieces that were following it....maybe something like a tail of debris behind it.

Jamie

I've heard a theory that Tesla made a weapon called a 'Death Ray' and that's what caused the explosion. i heard that when the 'death ray' was activated a bird flew into it and was disintigrated!! :o

Does anyone else have any information on this theory?

Dowdy

Dowdy

In 1908 Nikola Tesla was frantically trying to beat Guglielmo Marconi, a wealthy Italian businessman and inventor, in creating the first trans-Atlantic radio.

On 11 July 1934 the headline on the front page of the New York Times read, "TESLA, AT 78, BARES NEW 'DEATH BEAM.'" The article reported that the new invention "will send concentrated beams of particles through the free air, of such tremendous energy that they will bring down a fleet of 10,000 enemy airplanes at a distance of 250 miles..." Tesla stated that the death beam would make war impossible by offering every country an "invisible Chinese wall."

But that was almost 30 years after the incident in Siberia. After his death in 1943, the U.S. government confiscated 100's of files, of which some files reportedly COULD HAVE been the perfected plans of the particle beam weapon. Not only is that unproven, it was almost 40 years after the Siberian incident.

Thanks for the info. :)

i'm sure my brother will like it. he's obsessed with Tesla. I alway call Tesla my brothers' Hero ;D

• 1 year later...

Scientists have long believed that the flattening of miles of trees in the remote Tunguska region of Siberia on June 30, 1908 was due to a asteroid impact with the power of a 50 megaton nuclear bomb. Now a Russian geologist thinks it was caused by a liquid jet that shot up from inside the Earth under high pressure.

http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=1952

X