Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Controversial toys

Indiogene

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/11/18/10-controversial-toys-that-didnt-make-it-onto-parents-wish-lis/

Wow...I compiled my holiday shopping list to find the right toys for people with children (ssshhh) and how adults won't like those toys, due to controversial material not considered age-appropriate. Why would toy companies spend time, money and effort to develop them? Get back to market research and have alot more common sense when your customer base is children.

The most controversial one I say is a children's book My Beautiful Mommy about "Mommy" goes through plastic surgery to enhance the "inner beauty" of her face.

http://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Mommy-Michael-Alexander-Salzhauer/dp/1601310323/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1290011407&sr=1-1

Not on the list was the "My bundle baby" pregnancy play set in the early 1990s dramatizes a pregnant belly (it kicks and has heart beat) and open the pouch...it's a baby! (boy? girl? even twins).

I recall my bro and I fooled around with Barbie dolls, like to have Ken dress in Barbie's clothing. Maybe Ken is trying to "come out of the closet" to hysterically disprove gender stereotypes. xD

Edited by Desert Man

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JonathanVonErich

• booNyzarC

• Indiogene

• Princess Serenity

...And that's not all, controversial books make great holiday gift ideas. :innocent:

You heard of the book The Pedophile's Guide to Love and Life removed from Amazon.com due to its' controversy and disturbing content about pedophilia. But check out other books on controversial subjects still up on the Amazon.com list to be wrapped under the inflammable X-mas tree. :santa:

http://www.amazon.com/Womans-Place-Kitchen-Evolution-Women/dp/0471292087/ref=pd_sim_b_3

A Woman's place is in the Kitchen: The Rise of Women Chefs in the Culinary Arts Industry.

The rise of women's chefs can be attributed to women historically dominated the culinary arts thanks to socially proscribed gender roles, and the liberation of women hasn't ended the predominance of female culinary artists in the last 50 years...from Julia Child then to Martha Stewart to Rachael Ray today.

http://www.amazon.com/Jews-Money-Stereotype-Abraham-Foxman/dp/0230623859/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1290284525&sr=1-2-fkmr2 Jews and Money: The Origins of A Stereotype.

The origin of stereotypes about Jews...and money. The book is an academic study on equating Jewish people, miser cheapness and an above-average income together into the anti-semitic caricature. Many Jews sure live in the Palm Springs area and other retirement havens in the American "sun belt". B) It's more of a study into what makes mythical stereotypes exist.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-New-White-Paul-Mooney/dp/1416587969/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290284722&sr=1-1 Black is the New White: A look in Blacks in Standup Comedy in Today's America.

African-Americans are becoming a new force in standup comedy, and the term "Black is the new white" used to describe the demographic change in urban America, as well brown is the "new white people". We came a long way from Jackie Robinson broke the color barrier and the numerous ridiculous debates on black "superiority" in athletic sports in the 1980's and '90s. Anyone now is up for racial jokes? :whistle:

Edit: http://www.amazon.com/Irish-Became-White-Routledge-Classics/dp/0415963095/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290292783&sr=8-1 How the Irish became white

A historical overview of the development and social acceptance of the Irish in North America into what we consider to be "white" or part of the large sense of whiteness in a society whom once rejected, shunned and disliked the Irish over 150 years ago.

To study women and cooking, Jews and money, and black people in standup comedy are intellectual explorations, not promotions of stereotypes nobody likes or wants to talk about in the year 2010.

What's with Latinos are now increasingly considered "whites"? It's been part of the "Model Minority" myth of Asians (esp. Japanese and other East Asian ethnic groups)in North America since the 1970s to be socially reclassified to the status of whites or one can say: WASPs. :ph34r:

Edited by Desert Man

One of my daughters actually has a toy from that list! She owns the Play-Doh Drill 'n Fill Playset. She thinks it is great fun and I don't see anything wrong with it.

I think a lot of the toys on the list are perfectly fine and some people are being too "PC" over the descriptions. Examples: The Oreo Barbie and My Cleaning Trolley. I highly doubt that Barbie set out to make some sort of racial statement with Oreos. People take things too seriously sometimes.

As for the pink cleaning trolley, they were simply marketing the item to their most likely customers which would be little girls. How many boys would want a pink cleaning trolley? Maybe a few and there is nothing wrong with that, but I don't see the difference between this and showing boys playing with army tanks or G.I. Joe figures.

A few of them are crazy though. The plastic surgery book wins hands down! Also I couldn't help chuckling at the description of Harry Potter's vibrating broom!

I left myself a comment on the page, one toy they definitely forgotten:

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/11/18/10-controversial-toys-that-didnt-make-it-onto-parents-wish-lis/2#c31671147

Garbage Pail Kids! The sticker card collection of the most graphic, gross looking, macabre and bizarre kids. A popular parody of the Cabbage Patch Kids dolls and memorabilia in the mid 1980s. I dare you to google them up and be forewarned. These are the kind of kids you wouldn't want to play with your kids.

Not a toy, but I bought a copy of Manhood 101 for my nutso-feminist stepmother.

It's an excellent book, hope she'll enjoy it as much as I have :lol:

LOL you beat me to it! I think this one takes the cake -

a96752_japanesetoy.jpg

Not 100% sure it was actually intended for kids....:unsure2:

Garbage Pail Kids! The sticker card collection of the most graphic, gross looking, macabre and bizarre kids. A popular parody of the Cabbage Patch Kids dolls and memorabilia in the mid 1980s. I dare you to google them up and be forewarned. These are the kind of kids you wouldn't want to play with your kids.

Last I knew they were making GPK again. As of just a couple years ago they were releasing all new series of GPK. I suspect they still are.

Crackwhore barbie is the worst one. And shes real.

:lol: Crackwhore Barbie isn't real. Think about it......

Just in time for the holidays! :w00t:

fu6mv5.jpg

Hehehe. Where did you find that?

Jon: Seriously.

Edited by Moon Princess

Sorry but that one is just wrong. Japanese are crazy... :no:

--

I was going to post that one, but honestly... I had a hard time re-swallowing the vomit that had encroached on my mouth the first time I saw it. :cry:

I mean, really... who in the hell comes up with this stuff? :wacko:

The pictures won't show up. Thought you should know.

...when I was 4 my parents gave me a small tool box. Sheet metal, nice sharp corners. Real nails, real hammer, real saw.....you could never give a kid something like that nowadays....

Remember "Chemistry sets" ??

Sadly i can see the pictures....and it's not pretty. :hmm:

---

Good lord Jon! Do you enjoy watching me throw up into my mouth and then swallow it back down!? :huh:

Good lord Jon! Do you enjoy watching me throw up into my mouth and then swallow it back down!? :huh:

lol sorry Boo, it was for Moon Princess. :w00t::lol:

lol sorry Boo, it was for Moon Princess. :w00t::lol:

ROFL :w00t: I see, so you don't just want to observe this from me, but from other unsuspecting readers as well! :lol:

By the way Boo i have to give you a Thumbs up for your Russian Roulette toy, that was sick.

This is sick too:

a96752_obama-model.jpg