Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman Who Stole Fuel Ordered to Wear Sign

vampgirl

SALISBURY, Md. - A woman who stole $4.52 worth of fuel was ordered to stand outside the gas station Friday wearing a sandwich board sign that declared: "I was caught stealing gas."

Sherelle Purnell obeyed the court order, although by the time she arrived 90 minutes late to her noon sentence, the crowd of people that gathered to watch her had dispersed.

"There were parents who came with their children, wanting to teach them a lesson," said Jan Phipps, manager of Gordy's Tiger Mart, which pushed for the unorthodox punishment.

Purnell, 18, who was caught on surveillance tape speeding away from the gas pump, walked along the convenience shop's grassy storefront as passing drivers honked horns and made catcalls.

Andrew Black, who stopped by on his lunch break, was critical of the punishment and converted an old beer poster into a sign protesting high gas prices.

"What is this, the Middle Ages?" said Black.

Purnell declined to comment.

Some passers-by considered the punishment to be a good deterrent.

"Embarrassment is the best way to deal with these things," Randy Jedlicka said.

source

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• Barnacle Battlefront

• doomgirl

• Wings of Selkhet

This could be a good punishment for some, I guess. But it really depends on whether you have any shame about what you did. Some people would have a lot of fun with wearing a sign in public and messing with passing cars.. tongue.gif

If It was up to me, she would have been arrested again for showing up 90 minutes late for sentencing..

Yeah, i feel that showing up late should be good enough reason to make her do it again.

But NAKED instead.

...why would you bring your kids to see that? o.O

Teach them a lesson.

Theivery is wrong. Steal, and this will happen to you. Kids are very suseptable to things like that.

Yeah, i feel that showing up late should be good enough reason to make her do it again.

But NAKED instead.

laugh.gif wot so she get's arrested again for indescent exposure?

Shhh, let me have my fun.

Edited by BurnSide

laugh.gif okay

huh.gif ......right!?!?! interesting punishment, I think a fine and having to work around the petrol station for awhile would have been good enough. Although I think we should let Burnside have his fun!!lol. thumbsup.gif

hmm....I agree with Falco, it really depends who you are. The fact this woman turned up 90 minutes late for a court order probably means she wasn't taking it all that seriously. I does seem like a good idea on the surface....but it just wouldn't work on some people because they'd actually be proud of themselves.

I do agree with bringing kids along to show them it though....kids in general are easily mortified by the idea of being forced to stand in front of crowds, and this seems as good a way as any to start teach them "steal, and you'll be screwed."

Later, you can teach them about prison, and how not to drop the soap tongue.gif

Embarasing, but I think there's a Judge in the states that does that exact same thing with the people in his court. Sad, next time I'm gassing up I'm gonna make sure that I pay for it. At least she learned her lesson I hope.

Actually ya know, considering she turned up an hour late and everything, she's obviously not bothered and probably walked away from the ordeal thinking 'well, if that's all thats gonna happen to me, i can always do it again!'