Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Skeptical Non-Believers of Uppity Annoyance

BurnSide

user posted image

Welcome Skeptics of all kinds, to UM's offical Skeptical Non-Believers group. Here we can discuss things we are skeptical of in all realms of the paranormal, as well as drink beer and be merry. Members of the Skeptical Non-Believers of Uppity Annoyance, or SNBUN (SunBun ahaha) and non-mebers alike are welcomed here and invited to join the discussions. Congregate, discuss, be merry!!

MEMBERS OF SNBUN:

Ames

Janiel

Saucy - Probation

AliceCoopersGirl

Potholer

Vampchilde

Wings of Selkhet

Crystal3Rose

Dancing Hamster

Hammys teddy

DukeOfNoodleness

Lottie

Moe Eubleck

SNBUN JEDI COUNCIL:

Dot

BurnSide

Snuffypuffer

Falco Rex

Edited by BurnSide

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• snuffypuffer

• Janiel

• Falco Rex

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How does one become a member?

You must be skeptical of everything.

A member of SUNBUN does not blindly believe in such things like aliens, ghosts, god etc because there is no ample proof to the existance of such.

Other than that, High Dark Lord snuffypuffer is mainly incharge of recuritment.

Okay! *Cracks a brew* For our first post, I'd like to say...Stop it with all the Chupacabras nonsense already! It's always a big deal, and it always turns out to be some kind of Feral Dog..

Chupa is a wild dog. Let's all just go with that notion. That way instead of looking for some kind of Alien-hybrid Bloodsucker, we may actually discover a new breed of dog. Which would be pretty cool all by itself, if you ask me..

And hey! I recruited at least half of our members myself. I am co-founder after all. You could ask me too..

I apologise. You can always ask Falco too. Tis true, Snuffs always says when you recurit someone.

We should get a list of all the members going on.

I agree with the Chupa stuff. I never even heard of one until this site and i must say it's complete nonsense. It always turns out to be a wild dog, or a dead decomposing cat, or a sealion, whatever. No one even knows what a Chupa is it seems, so as soon as they find something that can't be identifed, OH IT'S A CHUPACABRA!!

And as long as we now have a place to discuss this..I'd like to issue an open challenge to any psychic, psi-user or Magick person on the board. Just once I'd like to see some proof of ability. This is not to beat you down or make fun of you. I'm genuinely curious to see if anyone can actually do what they say..

So..Got a webcam? Use it to show me some proof of psi.

Can you make a video? Mail it to me and I'll pay for shipping..

Can you make an amazing psychic prediction or tell me something about me that nobody but me could possibly know? Pm or E-mail me with it..

Can you really cast spells? Cast one on me. I don't even care if it's a good or bad one. I just want to see some effect..

As I said this is purely for my own curiousity and not to try and prove a point or knock you down in any way. I won't even tell anyone if you try and fail, because at least someone will have had the guts to finally try and prove something..

So; any takers at all?

Good call good call.

*cracks open tasty home brew, sits back*

As Spooky would say, I Want to Believe.

But, lest we be caught with our skeptical pants down, we should also design an experiment, or a series of experiments, which would allow us to define that which we would consider proof of paranatural or supernatural phenomena. Not an easy task, to be sure, but doable, nonetheless, and necessary, I think, for our credibility.

You're absolutely right about that; but first we have to get to the first step. Which is to get someone willing to try in the first place. If we can get someone to pass the initial test then we can worry about repeatability and scientific processes..

As a matter of fact aquatus1, if I can actually find someone willing to try this, I'd like you to be a part of any repeat testing that may happen. Given your background with all of this I think you'd be instrumental in us being able to prove or disprove anything..

Damn banners and their slowdown.

Someone give aquatus a banner.

You know, I think I prefered it when we were an underground organisation, noted only because of the curious text under our avatars tongue.gif But oh well...

I'd like to issue an open challenge to any psychic, psi-user or Magick person on the board. Just once I'd like to see some proof of ability.

Back in the early days of my posting, I challenged some of them to do much the same thing. Thier reply was: "I don't have to prove anything to you!" This answer itself shows a certain lack of understanding of the ways of the world: If you claim to have strange abilities that have not been proven, then people are entitled to ask you to provide evidence for them before they'll take you seriously tongue.gif

As the great lord Fluffy put it best...

You folks have gyrated around ever reason why you would not want to prove it in order to keep your fantasy world intact, but the bottom line is that you have not proven yourself to have any skills whatsoever. It is a fantasy.

If those who claim to have psionic powers are to be believed, then it seems every second member in their early to mid teens is capable of using them tongue.gif If this were true of course, then you'd be hard pressed to walk down the street without encountering someone who could demonstrate such powers to you. From statistics alone, even considering this is a paranormal website that might actually pool people who may genuinly (assuming it is genuine) have the ability, we can probably cut down the probably people who do have it to about three or four.

We're in luck anyway, as you guys know, another thread already exists were we can witness them dodging all the attempts to get them to prove it we want tongue.gif

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...opic=19398&st=0

ugh my GOD that thread!!

I spent 6 pages of that thread arguing with 14yr olds who claimed to have super powers but their answer, as you said Sera, everytime was 'we don't want to prove it, we want to keep it secret. we don't need to prove anything to you!'

Yeah and it led you to set up a formal debate on it. And despite all these vocal believers in it; so far the only person willing to be my opponent is someone who's just in it for fun..

I know!

I even sent some of them messages on the subject, no response.

Doesn't look like they're taht willing to back up their claims huh.

Fantasy world!

I'm up for the tests, and setting up a set of fixed variables with which to test the actual results. But, like Falco said, the first step is to actually get someone to step forward and be willing to actually have themselves tested.

But then again, they all feel they have nothing to prove to us. Which would lead me to believe there's nothing to prove. Emphasis on that last part.

But then again, they all feel they have nothing to prove to us. Which would lead me to believe there's nothing to prove. Emphasis on that last part.

True, True

everytime was 'we don't want to prove it, we want to keep it secret. we don't need to prove anything to you!'

I think its quit clear that the psychics on this forum have nothing to prove....and I do mean nothing tongue.gif

I'll agree with that!

*tosses Talon a beer*

*tosses Talon a beer*

Thanks, but in light of some of the arguments I see, I think I need something stronger tongue.gif .... whisky? huh.gif

Damn, where is thebarman when you need him!?

I have just one question, just to make sure I understand the mechanics behind this thread.

Is this little corner of the expansive UM club being reserved for flat out hard-core debunkers; i.e., someone who'll try to disprove something just for the sake of disproving it, and not because there's absolutely no way through logic, physics, or plain common senses it can exist?

Or can someone with a skeptical, yet open mind participate?

Just curious, since there is a difference.

Oh yeah......and I'll take a Boilermaker. thumbsup.gif

Hey, anyone is welcome to post. It's mainly for fun.

We all have open minds here. We're not closed off to any possibilities. The difference between skeptics and other people is that we wont blindly believe in things without prove that it is a possibility.

Burnsy's right, we like an open mind, but a healthy dose of skepticism is always welcome.

Even without the skepticism, just the ability to use logic and rational thought is appreciated..

Don't look at me, I'm just here for the beer. I'm a mythical creature, remember?