Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Skeptical Non-Believers of Uppity Annoyance

BurnSide

You guys have this annoying bit down well! Good Job!

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BurnSide

• snuffypuffer

• Janiel

• Falco Rex

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

*passes MC a joint*

Look the other way, and we'll keep them comming. grin2.gif

I have the ability to open a can of beer.....as soon as somebody hands me one. Get off the damn ice chest Snuff.

*passes MC a joint*

Look the other way, and we'll keep them comming. grin2.gif

beer and joints? damn yo..

I've been known to have men literally melt at my feet.... Now, since this is a non-reality medium here on good 'ole www....... I cannot prove this long distance.

I hear all the skeptics out there, banging their heads on their keyboards, begging for proof........... Alas? I am at a loss..... Feel free to ignore this post..... I think I'm past due on my medications.

Anyone have a Grasshopper? MMMMMMMMMMMM, better than beer anyday!

(shakes nancy)

It's me, Gonzo. Everything is alright now.

*reads Nancy's post then thinks*

Is it wise to give her anymore drink grin.gif

Teddy

user posted image

Welcome Skeptics of all kinds, to UM's offical Skeptical Non-Believers group. Here we can discuss things we are skeptical of in all realms of the paranormal, as well as drink beer and be merry. Members of the Skeptical Non-Believers of Uppity Annoyance, or SNBUN (SunBun ahaha) and non-mebers alike are welcomed here and invited to join the discussions. Congregate, discuss, be merry!!

but I believe, where does that leave me sad.gif

I am making Flaming Zambuca's for all. Just don't burn your lips. w00t.gif Drink up everybody!!

I am skeptical of people who are prepared to believe the most outlandish things with out even considering the the possibility of the mundane. Sometimes a duck is just a duck.

Dot original.gif

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons

Alright! Booze and ladies (and the sweet smell of burning herb....ahem)! rolleyes.gif

Hey MC. Hook up your guitar and I'll accompany you on the synths. cool.gif

Oh yeah, what was this thread about again...?

Have any of you skeptics thought about being a skeptic

about your skepticism? Just think about it! Why be a skeptic?

Skeptics question the validity of truth.

And you skeptics always question the truth!

Why not question the reason for you to be a skeptic

for a change? What about that? Don't you ever question

the reason for your doubt?

Edited by Norman

You must be skeptical of everything.

Are you a real person BurnSide? Or are you just some computer program meant to simulate a living person? Sorry but I'm skeptical...

tongue.gif

Of course I have norman old boy. But you've got it a little twisted. Skeptics don't question the validity of truth. They question the validity of whether something is true or not, and by very proximity the nature of truth itself..

In a way we're continuing on the legacy of Socrates. Question everything, and then question the answers. To blindly accept is to be led anywhere someone wants you to go. If I'm going there I'd rather arrive on my own, if a bit later. Do you see what I'm trying to say?

Doomie, you're alright in my books. thumbsup.gif

Dot, you're absolutely right. Ducks ARE Ducks.

Norman, ever though about being Skeptic of us being Skeptic about ourselves being skeptic about everyone else being skeptic about being skeptic of skeptics and their skeptism?

Stellar: I am Bender. Please Insert Girder.

Edited by BurnSide

(shakes nancy)

It's me, Gonzo. Everything is alright now.

Gonzo, is it really YOU? wink2.gif

Of course everything is alright, the meds have now kicked in! Whew! So? Please don't shake TOO hard ....... ekkkkkkkk!!

Ah, Teddy? Awwwww come on now. Would you deny this old blonde a tad more fun, hmmmm??? whistling2.gif

Falco Rex wrote:

"Do you see what I'm trying to say?"

Yes. Now, I understand. Hey I was wondering if

I could become apart of this skeptic group. It

seems that all the cool guys are skeptics.

Is there like a password you guys use to summon the skeptics?

I was just you know.... Kind of loneyl, and... If you guys

would be my skeptic friends then... I could be one of the group.

I always wanted to be apart... You know? I just-

What I'm trying to say is...Can I become a cool skeptc

person like you guys? Can you teach me how to be a skeptic?

Please!

What are your qualifications for being a skeptic? So far we haven't seen much from you besides posts linking Aliens to god and telling us we'll go to Hell..

Those don't exactly stand as sterling character references.. laugh.gif

I'm afraid as Falco said you can't blindly believe in things like aliens, god etc to be a skeptic Norman.

That depends, Norman. Are you willing to view data and evidence through an objective eye, and never allow subjective opinion to influence your conclusion? Are you willing to follow the prequisites of Scientific Methodology, and understand the language of Formal Logistical method?

Skepticism isn't a belief system. Skepticism is a method with which to analyze data. Skeptics are less interested in truth than they are in credibility, and trust statistics over faith. Skeptics understand that human opinion is very unreliable when it come to observation and analysis, and therefore only trust that which can be measured and quantified before accepting it as scientific fact.

You question why we are skeptics, and you insinuate that we are plagued with doubt. That is not the case. I am a skeptic because I do not trust human perception. I am a skeptic because I am unwilling to put my life, physical and spiritual, in the hands of something that might not exist. As long as I pin my trust in faith, I will have doubts. I will have doubts because, no matter how devoutly I believe, I will never know. Knowing implies an understanding of the phenomena, and ability to explain and control, to say nothing of predict what is to occur. I would rather live my life acknowledging what I understand, and what I do not, than live in denial of my ignorance, reliant on an unfounded faith to answer all my questions.

Wow, good post aquatus, pretty much sums it up perfectly.

Where's that mans banner!?

I regretfully inform everyone that aquatus1 won't be joining our little cadre for reasons of his own. He was however honored by the offer and is glad that folks like us exist..So I say cheers to him for his posting ability alone regardless of whether or not he's in.. thumbsup.gif

As for Norman. I could care less what a person chooses to believe as long as they realize that they need hard data to back it up before they can claim it as a fact..

If he's willing to put in some effort to examining why and how he believes as he does, then it just might be all good..

Snuffys' getting a flirting Paduwan, I just might be in the market for a philosophical one..Hmmm..

I'm all into understanding the truth of some unusual phenomenon. It just seems difficult to just ask for the proof and have all the work of proving given to someone who consider him/herself gifted. So,

1) What's the methodology of proving? How do you tell whether an image is photoshopped and a video is post-edited?

Won't be too useful even first hand oberserver is present because others will need to have faith in the observer which is against sunbun principles I guess.

2) How is the identity of the 'demonstrator' protected if s/he feels necessary?

3) What if mental/psychic/supernatural phenomenon of the 'demonstrator' is correlated to the state of conscious awareness and recording does affect seriously the 'performance'? Does it diminish the accountability? Are we using the same level of stringnent accuracy as if measuring some 'usual' phenomenon? Should we use the same standard?

cheers.

Ok let me take a stab at answering these for you..

1. If it's a video or picture I'm willing to find and pay for if neccesary any experts that might need to be consulted to confirm whether it's been photoshopped, edited or any fakery was tried in the filming..

2. If you don't want anyone to know who you are, simply PM me and tell me that. I'm not interested in embarassing anyone. Merely in trying to find some actual proof of all this..

3. That's the kind of thing you wouldn't really know unless you tried. If any recording process or critical evaluation leaves you dead in the water, then it can't actually be used as evidence in the first place. But if any of this is true, then I'm hoping someone out there might have the ability to do at least something while under scrutiny..

However, overall, this isn't yet about using the scientific method to prove or disprove abilities. That will come later. First I'd like to find someone who's willing to at least try to prove an ability through some cursory trial. Then I'll worry about the next steps..

Edited by Falco Rex

Geez, I'm starting to feel like James Randi here. Maybe every Dark Lord and Lady could chip in a couple of bucks and We could start Falcos' $100 dollar challenge.. tongue.gif

Wait! I've got it! Now, I know how to be a skeptic!

Ok. I am ready! Someone write something that

is questionable!