Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Old Hag Syndrome

Waymarker

Hey,

I have almost the exact same experience as you do~ sometimes I would hear whisper in my ears, and see shadow beings walking around my room, being touched on the foot or stomach. I tried to scream but nothing would come out, and like you my body is asleep and my mind is fully awake, sometimes I would hear someone mumbling something, or people talking, but can never make out what they are saying, all I know was that I was frighten,

One time It happen to me when My brother was in my room, he said I look like I was fighting for my life, like I had a sizer or something, and he could hear me yelling help with my mouth closed. So he hit me with a broom, several times!! LOL and I jolted up. and said I was going crazy and I have issues...

. What I gathered from this, is that if you can face your fears and not fight whatever it is that is scaring you it will go away in an instance. Whatever it is that is scaring you.. is trying to not let your soul leave your body. What I herd is that if your mind is awake and your body is paralyzed, if there nothing to prevent you from leaving your body than your soul will leave your body. So those Scary THINGS are something that is preventing you from you leaving your body. It sounds weird I know... I hope it makes sense., And I agree It has nothing to do with stress or lack of sleep.

if you have any question I can try to help you. its been a off and on going experience for me for more than 5 years now... so your not alone on that.

You almost have it. You are very close. It's both. If you do not have enough will to overcome the fear you do not Have enough will to spirit travel. Yes the fear keeps you in your body but it is also a gate keeper. It's a challenge to overcome your fear. When you have had enough and rebel against it feircly you gain access. It's the only way. The power to spirit travel cannot be in the hands of people unable to put down their own chaos.

Hey,

I have almost the exact same experience as you do~ sometimes I would hear whisper in my ears, and see shadow beings walking around my room, being touched on the foot or stomach. I tried to scream but nothing would come out, and like you my body is asleep and my mind is fully awake, sometimes I would hear someone mumbling something, or people talking, but can never make out what they are saying, all I know was that I was frighten,

One time It happen to me when My brother was in my room, he said I look like I was fighting for my life, like I had a sizer or something, and he could hear me yelling help with my mouth closed. So he hit me with a broom, several times!! LOL and I jolted up. and said I was going crazy and I have issues...

. What I gathered from this, is that if you can face your fears and not fight whatever it is that is scaring you it will go away in an instance. Whatever it is that is scaring you.. is trying to not let your soul leave your body. What I herd is that if your mind is awake and your body is paralyzed, if there nothing to prevent you from leaving your body than your soul will leave your body. So those Scary THINGS are something that is preventing you from you leaving your body. It sounds weird I know... I hope it makes sense., And I agree It has nothing to do with stress or lack of sleep.

if you have any question I can try to help you. its been a off and on going experience for me for more than 5 years now... so your not alone on that.

You almost have it. You are very close. It's both. If you do not have enough will to overcome the fear you do not Have enough will to spirit travel. Yes the fear keeps you in your body but it is also a gate keeper. It's a challenge to overcome your fear. When you have had enough and rebel against it feircly you gain access. It's the only way. The power to spirit travel cannot be in the hands of people unable to put down their own chaos.

Hey,

Wow how did that happen. iPhone hmmmm

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• White Crane Feather

• Alternative Delirium

• JGirl

• anonymous123

OrdinaryClay, I have a hard time following you. I agree with you when you say not every instance is sleep paralysis. I know there are spirits and other inexplicable things that can affect us just as surely as more mundane occurrences. This I accept as a personal truth. However, the OP was asking about Old Hag Syndrome, which is more commonly known as sleep paralysis. It's just an archaic kind of SP, with an accompanying archaic explanation. In this case, it is very much something that can be blamed on a combination of human psychology and anatomy. It is generally caused by high levels of stress, abuse of your sleep cycle, and/or dietary reasons. A fun statistic I found actually states that you will have an episode of SP at least once in your lifetime. Now this is not to say that other, more paranormal things don't happen to people (even when they're sleeping), and I totally agree with you that a lot of threads are beaten bloody with the explanation of SP. It's not always the case. But I was merely pointing out the ties between Old Hag and SP. The OP never mentioned a specific episode. Had it, I would gladly acknowledge the possibility of it being something truly paranormal, given the individual details of the case.

Seeker, I think I understand better what you are suggesting. It does make since to me on a certain level. Especially the part about facing it down, that I can relate to. I'm one of those people that gets angry when others would get scared, lol. Some may run away from a malicious creature of questionable origin, I would run at it and try to clothes-line it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

What makes you think it's a nightmare? Or a joke? People always trying to find a scientific or psychological reason for everything have never experienced the full force of this kind of event. I have been plagued by this thing since I was a child. I have tried everything to minimize it, I have tried everything not to p*** it off. My best effects is to sleep with a light on and a bible beside me. I slept with my Mom til I was fourteen. Terrified of falling asleep in the dark because I know if it is dark it is there. For anyone to suggest that this thing is a nightmare is talking out of their a**. Though it's me it wants other members of my family have seen it. You hear it move things in the house at night, make noises, setting off the house alarm, making silent untraceable phone calls to the point you call the police in fear. Knowing they can't really help you. It even took a 150 lbs door off it's hinges. And, the absolute hatred I feel from it towards me is beyond my comprehension. Yeah... it's a nightmare that smells up the room with a stench, shakes the bed and knocks the clock off the wall. And, when I've had a bad night I know those stingings I feel on my body are scratches or welts. So until you've experienced it don't tell me it's a nightmare, or to 'stare it down', face the fear because you have no idea what you are talking about! So go ahead and say it's adream, joke about it, ' clothes-lining' it, call me delusional or crazy I don't care cause I know there are things out there you don't know about, you don't understand, you don't mess with. And, I hope you never do.

Edited by Chakotay

I have sleep paralysis, but instead of feeling pinned down I feel like I am floating above the bed unable to move. Usually I feel, sometimes hear or see, a malicious presence in the room (an alien, shadow person, ghostly figure). Once I had a hand grab me from underneath the bed. It's scary. Sometimes I will be half awake and half napping during the day, unable to move and half dreaming while conscious. I noticed sleep paralysis happens more when someone(s) are up and walking around, or doing other things (other than sleeping) in the same room as me. I think the tinkering of the other person in the room is just enough to bring me to that half-awake place. Sleep paralysis is also associated with other disorders, which I am getting checked for (narcolepsy, fibromyalgia).

What makes you think it's a nightmare? Or a joke? People always trying to find a scientific or psychological reason for everything have never experienced the full force of this kind of event. I have been plagued by this thing since I was a child. I have tried everything to minimize it, I have tried everything not to p*** it off. My best effects is to sleep with a light on and a bible beside me. I slept with my Mom til I was fourteen. Terrified of falling asleep in the dark because I know if it is dark it is there. For anyone to suggest that this thing is a nightmare is talking out of their a**. Though it's me it wants other members of my family have seen it. You hear it move things in the house at night, make noises, setting off the house alarm, making silent untraceable phone calls to the point you call the police in fear. Knowing they can't really help you. It even took a 150 lbs door off it's hinges. And, the absolute hatred I feel from it towards me is beyond my comprehension. Yeah... it's a nightmare that smells up the room with a stench, shakes the bed and knocks the clock off the wall. And, when I've had a bad night I know those stingings I feel on my body are scratches or welts. So until you've experienced it don't tell me it's a nightmare, or to 'stare it down', face the fear because you have no idea what you are talking about! So go ahead and say it's adream, joke about it, ' clothes-lining' it, call me delusional or crazy I don't care cause I know there are things out there you don't know about, you don't understand, you don't mess with. And, I hope you never do.

I can help you get rid of it. Pm me with as much info about what's hapening to you . It would also help to know your spiritual perspective.

I can help you get rid of it. Pm me with as much info about what's hapening to you . It would also help to know your spiritual perspective.

How do you plan on doing that? If i may ask.

I agree there are some things you don't mess with but if you respect them as parts of our collective unconscious and not draw attention to them they may not bother you. I firmly believe we attract fears towards us and turning it into a positive, non-threatening even humorus encounter could help you.

The Old Hag archetype is arguably the oldest in terms of mythology. It has been with us since the dawn of civilization at least. SP could be a symptom or a cause and for all we know EMF and hormones all play a part.

The Old Hag is actually thought to be the origin of nightmares. It was part of a Saxon magickal text where the Night Mare is described as a spider that carries the soul to the otherworld where intense fear must be overcome to proceed spiritually. If something like this was built up through tradition then it becomes more acrtive and perhaps that is what is happening now with so many paranormal shows reactivating old archetypes. Archetypes need something to work through and that is us.

http://meta-religion.com/Psychiatry/Disorders/sleep_disorders/sp_in_myth_and_legend.htm

https://uhra.herts.ac.uk/dspace/bitstream/2299/2342/1/103471.pdf

I agree there are some things you don't mess with but if you respect them as parts of our collective unconscious and not draw attention to them they may not bother you. I firmly believe we attract fears towards us and turning it into a positive, non-threatening even humorus encounter could help you.

The Old Hag archetype is arguably the oldest in terms of mythology. It has been with us since the dawn of civilization at least. SP could be a symptom or a cause and for all we know EMF and hormones all play a part.

The Old Hag is actually thought to be the origin of nightmares. It was part of a Saxon magickal text where the Night Mare is described as a spider that carries the soul to the otherworld where intense fear must be overcome to proceed spiritually. If something like this was built up through tradition then it becomes more acrtive and perhaps that is what is happening now with so many paranormal shows reactivating old archetypes. Archetypes need something to work through and that is us.

http://meta-religion.com/Psychiatry/Disorders/sleep_disorders/sp_in_myth_and_legend.htm

It's all in our heads. Right, I am sorry I wasted my time on this board.

Ive experienced something similar in terms of overcoming intense fear then becoming spiritual. I used to have intense fear at night were I couldnt even open my eyes I was so afraid, accompanied by a very strong feeling theres something in the room watching me. This started to become so frequent and terrifying it totally changed the way I look at spirituality and religion etc.

You misunderstand me brutha. We are the conductors of the energy. Without our mind and fear there can be no manifestation of energy. Only in extreme cases would you expect energy to manifest as force or matter but I believe that emotion is the driver. A cycle can ensue and help may be needed to break the cycle. Many forms of help and different sorts work for different people but common sense dictates always seeing a doctor. I'm not saying you tell everything but enough to have a scan to rule out an underlying cause. That is if trying to break the cycle does not work by yourself. The most powerful thing you can do for yourself is to become aware of the cycle and yourself within it. Hope a smidgeon makes sense to you.

How do you plan on doing that? If i may ask.

I'm going to make a potion of anti depressents, have him tell me about his mother, then I'm going to charge him $120 per hour :).

My brother don't let the cynics get to you, I offer my help because I have been through things myself. I have a perspective that may work for you.

Ill pm you about it, and maby it will help.

Slim, what sources have you found about over comeing the fear that leads to more spirituality. Any sources on that? Thanks brother?

wow.

first i have to ask, why do you not have a web cam running while you sleep?. i would like to see this creature.

what is a silent untraceable phone call? how do you hear a silent call?

can you elaborate on this 150 pound door and how it came to be ripped off it's hinges? where the hell in your house is a one hundred and fifty pound door? the garage door??

in any case,

you rant on and get nasty, but go back and read your post and tell me how you expect to be treated? this is the second post you've made in this site, both of them have been snide and defensive.

do i believe you? no, not really. i think something is going on with you, but demons are probably not your biggest problem.

if you're experiencing something paranormal then you are wasting your time and energy bit*ching at all of us when you should be out trying to find someone to help you. there are people who specialize in figuring this stuff out, and quite willing to come to your house should they find that you are serious.

wow.

first i have to ask, why do you not have a web cam running while you sleep?. i would like to see this creature.

what is a silent untraceable phone call? how do you hear a silent call?

can you elaborate on this 150 pound door and how it came to be ripped off it's hinges? where the hell in your house is a one hundred and fifty pound door? the garage door??

in any case,

you rant on and get nasty, but go back and read your post and tell me how you expect to be treated? this is the second post you've made in this site, both of them have been snide and defensive.

do i believe you? no, not really. i think something is going on with you, but demons are probably not your biggest problem.

if you're experiencing something paranormal then you are wasting your time and energy bit*ching at all of us when you should be out trying to find someone to help you. there are people who specialize in figuring this stuff out, and quite willing to come to your house should they find that you are serious.

I'm reminded of that comercial where the military guy is a counceler and tells the guy to get out of mamby pamby land, throws the tissue at him and calls him a jackwagon. Ever consider that his problem is real (paranormal or not), terrifying, highly emotional, and depressing?

Slim, what sources have you found about over comeing the fear that leads to more spirituality. Any sources on that? Thanks brother?

You can check the Enuma Elish where Marduk overcomes the dragoness Tiamat or Vedas where Indra overcomes Vrtra. They are arguably allegories of overcoming subconscious fear and going on to be heroic. My actual source for the Night Mare suggestion is Brian Bates, the Real Middle Earth. Good book and in it the Lacugna manuscript was mentioned as a magickal text where the inititiate was drugged and perhaps paralysed and he would experience intense fear. I assume that the Saxons believed that it had a purpose and I think it is true to. Conquering fear makes you stronger, you know youself better and can know limits and potential. Dreams are often a learning experience imo.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/lq15543448x08032/

I'm sure it would be mentioned in one of these texts in more detail but I'm struggling to find much on the Lacugna manuscript on the net. Will keep looking as I was most interested to read about this dark spider mother because it seemed so siimilar to the native american beliefs.

http://www.librarything.com/work/257262

This is a nice piece of philosophy though.

http://shaktishaman.wordpress.com/category/tibetan-buddhsim/7-green-tara-8-fears/

I'm reminded of that comercial where the military guy is a counceler and tells the guy to get out of mamby pamby land, throws the tissue at him and calls him a jackwagon. Ever consider that his problem is real (paranormal or not), terrifying, highly emotional, and depressing?

i thought that ad was pretty funny. but no, that is not my stance on this poster's issue.

yes i did consider the slight possibility that he/she (although i think it's a she) may be going through something paranormal - did you read the last paragraph in my repsonse?

i'm waiting for the answers to my questions regarding the webcam, the 150 pound door, and the silent phone calls.

Why would she/ He be so passionate about something that's not real for him/her ( paranormal or not)? My five year old thinks jackwagon is about the funniest he has ever herd,

Edited by Seeker79

Why would she/ He be so passionate about something that's not real for him/her ( paranormal or not)?

why ask me?

Sorry the question is more of a point. People don't act like that when makeing things up.

Sorry the question is more of a point. People don't act like that when makeing things up.

oh

sounded like a question.

oldhagsyndrome.jpg

A while back ITV screened a docu about people who had trouble sleeping, called 'Nights from Hell'.

Some sleep-walked, some lashed out screaming, but the one that interested me most was the young woman who says she sometimes suddenly finds herself awake in the night but completely paralysed, unable to move or speak.

Then a 'thing' enters the room looking like an evil old lady, it squats on her chest and begins strangling her, she then loses consciousness, and when she wakes up in the morning she's shaken but fine.

The amazing thing is that many people have experienced the same thing, they're always paralysed and its always an old woman who sits on their chest and tries to throttle them.

Doctors call it The Old Hag Syndrome, but they can't explain why its always an old woman, never an old man, or animal, or anything else.

The phenomenon is all over the net, just type 'Old Hag Syndrome'.

One possibility is that its a demon which inhabits a 'shadow-world' between waking and sleeping, and when it senses somebody has entered its realm by being only half-awake, it attacks,and in the darkness the terrified victims mind interprets it as looking like an old woman..

You could call it Lilith or Baba Yaga--for an archetype. I'm going to draw it pretty soon, but this image from google images sort of captures the spirit of the thing:

lilith.jpg

I was amazed it was actually able to shake me up off the bed, after it rushed through the wall (about five years ago). After that things got very intense for about three years...so it is an initiation of sorts as mentioned in this thread; meaning you can never go back to disbelief after it has...

Here's her song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOVgGrLkWro

...don't tell me it's a nightmare, or to 'stare it down', face the fear because you have no idea what you are talking about! So go ahead and say it's adream, joke about it, ' clothes-lining' it, call me delusional or crazy I don't care cause I know there are things out there you don't know about, you don't understand, you don't mess with. And, I hope you never do.

Yeah, wasn't talking to you friend. I was making a point about myself. In fact, none of my posts up until now have been aimed at or have alluded to yours in any way. I do hope you find a solution to your problem.