Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Piri Reis Map

Mystify

I was wondering if anyone else had any insights on this map...

In 1929, a group of historians found an amazing map drawn on a gazelle skin.

Research showed that it was a genuine document drawn in 1513 by Piri Reis, a famous admiral of the Turkish fleet in the sixteenth century.

His passion was cartography. His high rank within the Turkish navy allowed him to have a privileged access to the Imperial Library of Constantinople.

The Turkish admiral admits in a series of notes on the map that he compiled and copied the data from a large number of source maps, some of which dated back to the fourth century BC or earlier

http://www.world-mysteries.com/sar_1.htm

An extremely intresting find that could easily prove intelligent life human or not existed way before we ever thought it did.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mystify

• Magikman

• Althalus

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

all i can add at the moment is that some people have been sayng that it looks like the unknown bit looks like south america due ti the shape.

Myst,

Mr. X and I had a brief discussion about the Piri Reis map awhile back. Here's a link to the thread in question - it starts near the bottom of the first page;

CLICK HERE

The link provided in my post on the first page no longer works, here is an alternate site that pretty much covers the same information as the original, which disputes the accuracy and viability of Dr. Hapgood's claims;

CLICK HERE

There are several other links provided at the aforementioned web site that go into further detail about the Piri Reis map as well as other 'mysterious' ancient maps.

Magikman cool.gif

Thanks MM,

I shall read on uppydown.gifstretch.gif