Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

dAz's Official Two Towers Review

dAz

Well Gareth and I went on our merry way yesterday to see the much hyped part two of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Although I can’t speak for Gareth I was rather disappointed in the film. I felt this film lacked the certain myth and magical element that the first film mastered so well. The film seemed to focus more on the rather long and boring battle with the Orcs. However the film did keep me entertained in parts, mostly by Gollum and his very humorous split personality.

A few things I would like to mention though, and this is where the “Unexplained” element arises, are:-

1. Gandalf is plummeting to his almost certain peril down the pit in the cavern fighting that big fire beast thing, five second later they are battling on a mountain top. Eh? Did I blink and miss something? blink.gif

2. Picture the scene Orcs battering down the door with a huge battering ram desperately trying to gain access to the fortress. Human soldiers and Elf arches holding them back with reinforcements behind the door. Why did it not occur to the Orcs to use the side door from which the human and dwarf came out of (I their names). From what I could see wasn’t guarded at all and could have quite easily just opened it and walked in. wink.gif

3. The King and his Knights preparing for their retreat from the throne room getting dressed and other such things, then cuts to a scene of some Orcs (surprise surprise) and back to the throne. But the King and Knights are not alone. Mysteriously or maybe magically they are all mounted on horses! I couldn’t help thinking “where the hell did they come from”… maybe they elevated themselves up though the back windows. huh.gif

I must point out I have never read the book so I don’t know how much the film is actually translated from the novel or if any key elements are missing. The film is a good watch but not up to the standard of its predecessor in my opinion. Although I did have fun annoying Gareth with Gollum impression on the way home.

Anyway I’m hoping to go and see the new Star Trek movie next week, hopefully this will be a better watch.

dAz laugh.gif

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bizarro

• Ronin6th

• SpaceyKC

• Halo_Jones

Although I did have fun annoying Gareth with Gollum impression on the way home.

Anyway I’m hoping to go and see the new Star Trek movie next week, hopefully this will be a better watch.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giftongue.gif

Poor Gareth, I can just imagine him weighing the consequences of plunging a rapidly accelerating vehicle into the deepest part of Loch Ness versus enduring another second of "my preeeeeecioussssssssss...........I miss my preeeeeeecioussssssss", followed by annoying belching noises and maniacal laughter. stretch.gifuppydown.gif

Daz - if you weren't too thrilled with the Two Towers, the new Star Trek will definitely make you want to cry. sad.gif It bites, immensely. tongue.gif

Magikman cool.gif

In part two of LOTR, they also take liberties with the part of the film concerning Aragorn and his wife to be the elf Arwen. (who goes home in the film, across the sea fromm the grey havens.)

Eowyn falls in love with Aragorn in the film, (in the book she marries Faramir, but only after killing the witch king of Angmar, the boss Nazgul.)

In book 3 Arwen marries Aragorn and decides to become mortal so she can stay with him.

I think I have to agree with Daz here, the Two Towers wasn't as good as the first Lord of the Rings film, but it was still an excellent film nonetheless. Plenty of weird and wonderful creatures, epic battle scenes and a brilliant adaption of the Two Towers all round.

In general, a highly recommended film, and well worth going to see. cool.gif

my preeeeeecioussssssssss...........

laugh.gif

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif @ Daz.

I saw the film last week and was impressed but have to agree it did not have as much of the WOW factor as the first film. I think that is because when you watch the first film for first time, it is truely awesome seeing the characters and Middle Earth being bought to life, and I think you have to agree they got the casting Spot On!! smile.gif

Anyway, it's better than ALI G !!!

Yeah I agree the second part is impressive but it has lost its "Magic". There are some scenes I found no use, like the 15 times we see Aragorn, Lego...Legol...Legolas (endly!) and the Dwarf chasing the Orcs at the beginning...

Hehe...I've also noticed Gandalf and Balrog fighting on a mountain after falling in the abyssals...that's weird! huh.gif And I would liked to know what happened to Gandalf for becoming "The White". Has he met Raiden from Mortal Kombat?

Oh yeah...What the hell the horses were doing inside??? blink.gif

More seriously, one of my friends who is algerian was also shocked and hurt by the fact that the humans joining Sauron look like arabian (their eyes are made-up)

I enjoyed the Two Towers, but it wasn't as powerful (totally) as the first one, I think for the same reasons that Halo said.

And I hope MM is wrong about the new Star Trek movie, but I'm too much of a Trekker to stay away!! smile.gif

i think if you havent read the book, you aren't entitled to give an opinion on the movie. get your ass to a bookstore and read the book before you judge the scenes- for example, the reason that Aragorn and crew chased orcs at the beginning is because there were chapters of the book where they were desperately trying to catch the orcs and it made for a great read. sure, some of this kind of thing doesn't get totally translated to the movie, but you should read the book because it will help you enjoy the movie much more.

in the LOTR:FOTR, they left out the whole scene of how Gandalf was rescued by the giant eagle and kept in its nest. it was really cool to read, but apparently it didnt make it to the movie. in fact, most of the parts where the hobbits were being chased by the black riders were cut- or trimmed to fit about 20 seconds of film time. i thought that was the best part of the book sad.gif

i really liked Two Towers. i like Tolkien's books in general. he is not a fast paced kind of writer but they do have their moments of excitement. mostly, the things i enjoy about his stories are that they convey a reality that is close to our own, only in a different time and place. he is very patient and will write chapters where there is not a lot of action, but you enjoy reading them because they fill out the characters and the world where the books take place. i think the movie moves too fast sometimes and needs to slow down a bit and take in the personalities involved. i think Two Towers did a better job of this than the first movie did and that's why i liked it much more.

Nice to see you again Schwartz... smile.gif

Sorry I haven't read the Book, but for 7 euros to watch it I think I'm entitled to tell my opinion, it's a movie after all!

I always like your though tone DS! Have a nice weekend! biggrin.gif

I saw the Two Towers on New Year's Eve. It was ok, but I think they took alot of liberties with it. Elves never came to Helm's Deep, Eomer never got banished, Aragorn didn't disappear, & Eowyn was never at Helm's Deep. It's a great film, don't get me wrong, but it disappointed me a bit (especially when they killed Haldir. Why did they kill him!? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!?) ok I'm done

I saw this film on boxing day, just when it came out and i would have to say that, in my opinion, was one of the best film/ sequels i've ever see. I LOVED IT!!!!

Gandalf is 'white' now because if you listened in the film he said when he was just about dead he was told to finish his mission first so he was brought back as a 'white' so now he's just as powerful as the other wizard. Cool - i bet they'll have a huge duel in the third one cool.gif

I also reckon that was the best, longest and most intense fight scene in a film (took 4 months to film that scene)

It was funnier than the first - dwarf being the funniest this time and i love those tree creatures big, dumb, funny (when one of them was on fire) and strong

"these trees were my friends"

• 2 weeks later...

SaRuMan wrote:

it was still an excellent film nonetheless. Plenty of weird and wonderful creatures, epic battle scenes and a brilliant adaption of the Two Towers all round.

In general, a highly recommended film, and well worth going to see.

I went to see it last night and yes they took liberties, but the second book is that diverse and slow to read, so in essence without realising it they did the book justice...I like to think of it as a bit of a breather between so much action in the first and third books. Gollum was brilliant and I loved the way he was portayed....As is Frodo's ongoing struggle with the ring. All in all a very very good film and the battle at Helmsdeep....... wonderful smile.gif

Roll on The Return of the King.....In Nov 2003