Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Lochness Monster - Myth or Truth?

Dradan

My apologies if this topic has already been debated.

I would like to hear peoples theories for and against the existence of the Lochness Monster.

Personally, i believe that there is definitely something hiding in the depth of lochness. However, i do not believe it to be a plesiosaur. There would need to be a small colony of them in order to maintain their existence. Since the plesiosaur needs to surface regularly to breath, more people would had seen it, as well as better photos would had been taken, which is, quite frankly, not the case.

Please share any opinions on a monsters existence in Lochness. Thank you.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dradan

• Still Waters

• psyche101

• Clobhair-cean

For me I believe that the Lochness Monster is purely myth. Maybe there is something in the lake but I doubt it's the monster everyone describes.

I think it most likely based off logs in the waves, creating an image of a moving creature with humps.

Also I think it might be based off of a large seal, or possibly otters.

Yep, it sure has and everybody had their own thought(s)on it and it seemed the "general" ideas were just about as vague and useless as the suggestion of seeding the loch with marine mines and trying to sink the damn thing. Good idea for a WWII movie plot but not really workable.Now really folks, does it matter?? If it is there, so much the better, if it's a legend, so what?. If it's a myth, haven't seen anybody prove that it doesn't/didn't exist somewhere at some point in time or maybe better in some reality or dimension. :tu:

It's a fish, a big fish a sturgeon maybe. That or a prehistoric animal that got land locked and has managed to survive on almost nothing ever since ;)

Very large eels have been found in the Loch, also Seals...

Wait, I know what the Lochness monster is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a.............

HYRAX!!!!!!!!!!!

109_0942.jpg

Let's see what we can find about the Lochness Monster. The documentaries seems to be rather limited for public use. This is some of the best that i could find. Apparently, there seems to be a great amount of sonar encounters with a moving object, with a size superior to that of a seal or an otter, which are mammals typically found in large freshwaters lochs. Please share any valid sources with information that you can find. Thanks.

I just can't believe a large creature like Nessie could survive in a relatively small place like the Loch Ness. I think most of the sightings are mostly misidentification by the witnesses.

I just can't believe a large creature like Nessie could survive in a relatively small place like the Loch Ness. I think most of the sightings are mostly misidentification by the witnesses.

Well the loch may not be that big, but it is extremely deep, measuring 433 ft in average depth. A perfect place to hide for the monster lurking in the depths.

Living in Scotland means I have been to Loch Ness and did I find anything, or anyone when we were there for that matter? no. I think it is just misidentification of a common animal, maybe a large Sturgeon?

To be fairly honest I wouldn't be surprised if it was a massive hoax for tourism in Scotland. :hmm:

Edited by WerewolfSkeptic

Living in Scotland means I have been to Loch Ness and did I find anything, or anyone when we were there for that matter? no. I think it is just misidentification of a common animal, maybe a large Sturgeon?

To be fairly honest I wouldn't be surprised if it was a massive hoax for tourism in Scotland. :hmm:

First sightings where too early for that weren't they? When i lived in Scotland I'd been there a couple of times when i was little, I was young enough to want to see it as well for I still believed in it then, but didn't see anything at either.

First sightings where too early for that weren't they? When i lived in Scotland I'd been there a couple of times when i was little, I was young enough to want to see it as well for I still believed in it then, but didn't see anything at either.

I went when I was nine, nearly ten at that point, so around five to six years ago, it's a great story to hear as a kid, but I believe that's all it is. A story.

As far as i know, the Legend of of sea monster living in lochness dates back as far as during St. Columbus. So that is a bit too early for a tourism hoax. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the local tourism had revived the legend at some point merely to do commercial for Scotland.

I'm fairly sure that in another thread of this nature I've read that some of the earliest sightings were a few hundred years ago, when a circus with elephants was in the area. I'll try to use the search button, (I normally epically fail at that) and find the thread with all the info in.

Nessie was an elephant?!

I think that that could have been how the story started, and it's simply been perpetuated by misidentification and people trying to promote the area.

Edited by Dougal

As far as i know, the Legend of of sea monster living in lochness dates back as far as during St. Columbus. So that is a bit too early for a tourism hoax. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the local tourism had revived the legend at some point merely to do commercial for Scotland.

Yes, way back in the pass it would just be a series of misidentification but the legend lives on and may be fuelled by people making up stories, keeping the beast alive.

Yes, way back in the pass it would just be a series of misidentification but the legend lives on and may be fuelled by people making up stories, keeping the beast alive.

Well, now when i think of it, i reckon there was a research done by Adrian Shine, based on the level of food available on the loch. The result showed that the amount of fish was very limited in lochness, given it's large size and depth. Which means that any living creature at the size of a beast/monster would have a hard time surviving in the loch. Yet these sightings/spotting continues to appear. Based on this knowledge, i agree with you that quite some of the sightings may just be misidentification/stories made up to keep the legend alive.

Well, now when i think of it, i reckon there was a research done by Adrian Shine, based on the level of food available on the loch. The result showed that the amount of fish was very limited in lochness, given it's large size and depth. Which means that any living creature at the size of a beast/monster would have a hard time surviving in the loch. Yet these sightings/spotting continues to appear. Based on this knowledge, i agree with you that quite some of the sightings may just be misidentification/stories made up to keep the legend alive.

There may be one way in which it could stay alive. The loch eventually connects to the ocean right, what stops it from leaving the loch to feed and it's usual home is the sea but it occasionally enters the loch for a certain reason.

I ain't no believer, but it's a possible theory.

There may be one way in which it could stay alive. The loch eventually connects to the ocean right, what stops it from leaving the loch to feed and it's usual home is the sea but it occasionally enters the loch for a certain reason.

I ain't no believer, but it's a possible theory.

Interesting theory. As far as i know, it is correct that the loch connects to the ocean. The loch is more than 20000 years old, dating all the way back to the last ice age. Back them, it was one big glacier between the mountains. It eventually melted, and some researchers believes that some ancient creature was trapped in Lochness. One would think, that if a creature lived in lochness, it would be free to come and go as it pleased, making it easy to hide from deep sonar scans.

However, there is one main issue with this theory, which is difficult to argue against. There is supposedly a lot of loch gates blocking the way out to open ocean. These gates would be hard to swim through, especially since they are under constant observation. If the lochness monster did actually travel from lochness to open sea, it would most likely have been spotted on it's way out.

Hmmm first off to say nothing is there, its a hoax, its an sea lion or otter, is really naive to say the least. The lake is murky and very deep. they know there are caves there that are unexplored by men. Sightings of Nessie go back to the 14th century. to say theirs nothing there at all and people are misreading what they see is not logical. Sure, there have been hoax's. And yes there have been misidentifications. but EVERY sighting? I doubt that. I dont think its a dinosaur either, but If those caves go into the ocean, who knows what it is!? I tell you a good book to read, while fiction, is Steve Alten's the Loch. he studied hardcore for the book. and uses actual scientific facts in his story. by the end of the book you will wonder if the monster is what he thinks it is. One theory is that its or they are giant eels. they know eels can grow up to 30 feet in the deep parts of the ocean. what if they came through the caves to mate....and went back into the oceans during certain seasons? sounds logical. the loch has Plenty of food to support that theory. theres some big ass fish in there to say the least. I'm just saying its easy to dismiss everything Not normal in the world. but to actually study the subject for yourself and make up your own mind is more grown up and logical. look up facts about the area, the food supply, the depth of the lake. the fact that its 7 miles long and over 800 feet deep! the chances of seeing it are slim at best, let alone taking a good picture of it.

Edited by Silverbane81

Hmmm first off to say nothing is there, its a hoax, its an sea lion or otter, is really naive to say the least. The lake is murky and very deep. they know there are caves there that are unexplored by men. Sightings of Nessie go back to the 14th century. to say theirs nothing there at all and people are misreading what they see is not logical. Sure, there have been hoax's. And yes there have been misidentifications. but EVERY sighting? I doubt that. I dont think its a dinosaur either, but If those caves go into the ocean, who knows what it is!? I tell you a good book to read, while fiction, is Steve Alten's the Loch. he studied hardcore for the book. and uses actual scientific facts in his story. by the end of the book you will wonder if the monster is what he thinks it is. One theory is that its or they are giant eels. they know eels can grow up to 30 feet in the deep parts of the ocean. what if they came through the caves to mate....and went back into the oceans during certain seasons? sounds logical. the loch has Plenty of food to support that theory. theres some big ass fish in there to say the least. I'm just saying its easy to dismiss everything Not normal in the world. but to actually study the subject for yourself and make up your own mind is more grown up and logical. look up facts about the area, the food supply, the depth of the lake. the fact that its 7 miles long and over 800 feet deep! the chances of seeing it are slim at best, let alone taking a good picture of it.

Interesting information. I personally believe that the amount of eye witnesses is too big to discard the legend as a hoax. Surely, there has been a few untrustworthy reports from people who claims to have seen something. But that doesn't mean that the majority of sightings aren't honest and real. If anyone can find any sources with information, or any video documentaries, please share them here. I am interesting in gathering as much knowledge and information about this subject. This is some of the best i could find, unfortunately.

My Grandfather, who lives in Dundee, is under the exact same impression. He say's that whatever it takes to get people to visit Scotland and spend some money though! Maybe Glasgow Rangers should invent some monster that lives under Ibrox to try and get people to visit and then they might be able to get out of debt!