Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Parallel Scratches On the Body

bfd1234

After mentioning to some co-workers that I have occasionally had unexplained scratches on my body (usually my face), and after having them make light of it, it occurred to me to search the web for any information related to the subject. I was amazed to find many eerily similar experiences to mine. Eventually I found this web site and here we are.

Ever since I was a kid (well over 30 years ago) I have occasionally discovered 3 parallel scratches usually somewhere on my face (on up to ten different occasions). They are always the same: about 1/8" apart and a little less than 3/8" in length. They are always exactly the same distance apart from each other and exactly the same length. The scratches always have the same appearance and disappear within a couple days. They are fairly faint (no blood or reddish discoloration) and painless. I suspect that I've probably had scratches on my body that I happened not to notice since they weren't on my face.

I have yet to come up with a logical explanation for these scratches. As a kid I tried to imagine a mouse clawing my face (rather disgusting) but I had never seen a mouse in my bedroom. Over the years, I have seen these three scratches wherever I have lived, whether I've lived alone, married or with a girlfriend. I have attempted to duplicate them by trying to scratch my face with my fingernails but was not even close. There is physically no way I could scratch my face in such a way while I am sleeping (which is when I assume they occur).

Because of their consistency over the years, I can conceive of no physical origin for these parallel scratches. I can only guess at any paranormal sources. I have never been particularly concerned about their occurence since they haven't caused me any physical discomfort and I had no way to stop them from occurring. Among all the unusual, scientifically unexplainable things that I have seen in my life this is almost a footnote. I am only writing this topic now, because for the first time I have discovered that other people have also had these type of unexplained scratches. I would be interested in hearing any relevant theories, stories, or experiences.

Incidentally, although I am scientifically educated in Engineering and in Physics, I have always understood that science can only explain things that it can study and there are some unexplained things in the world that science has yet to conceive of a way to study.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

After mentioning to some co-workers that I have occasionally had unexplained scratches on my body (usually my face), and after having them make light of it, it occurred to me to search the web for any information related to the subject. I was amazed to find many eerily similar experiences to mine. Eventually I found this web site and here we are.

Ever since I was a kid (well over 30 years ago) I have occasionally discovered 3 parallel scratches usually somewhere on my face (on up to ten different occasions). They are always the same: about 1/8" apart and a little less than 3/8" in length. They are always exactly the same distance apart from each other and exactly the same length. The scratches always have the same appearance and disappear within a couple days. They are fairly faint (no blood or reddish discoloration) and painless. I suspect that I've probably had scratches on my body that I happened not to notice since they weren't on my face.

I have yet to come up with a logical explanation for these scratches. As a kid I tried to imagine a mouse clawing my face (rather disgusting) but I had never seen a mouse in my bedroom. Over the years, I have seen these three scratches wherever I have lived, whether I've lived alone, married or with a girlfriend. I have attempted to duplicate them by trying to scratch my face with my fingernails but was not even close. There is physically no way I could scratch my face in such a way while I am sleeping (which is when I assume they occur).

Because of their consistency over the years, I can conceive of no physical origin for these parallel scratches. I can only guess at any paranormal sources. I have never been particularly concerned about their occurence since they haven't caused me any physical discomfort and I had no way to stop them from occurring. Among all the unusual, scientifically unexplainable things that I have seen in my life this is almost a footnote. I am only writing this topic now, because for the first time I have discovered that other people have also had these type of unexplained scratches. I would be interested in hearing any relevant theories, stories, or experiences.

Incidentally, although I am scientifically educated in Engineering and in Physics, I have always understood that science can only explain things that it can study and there are some unexplained things in the world that science has yet to conceive of a way to study.

This is fascinating, I was wondering when you mention others have had similar experiences, where you were able to locate that information?

I sometimes get a raised scratch on my face, that looks like a cat has scratched me slightly.I have no idea what causes them.

I sometimes get a raised scratch on my face, that looks like a cat has scratched me slightly.I have no idea what causes them.

a fingernail/hangnail, a piece of jewelry, a feather poking out of the ticking of your pillow.

there is no way a demon is going to give you girly scratches. a demon would rip our your eyeball.

• Like 3

So, op.. on the next occasion you might take a picture and post it?

Preferably using a decent camera and with enough context to show the size accurately..

• Like 1

Try a past-life regression. It's possible that these wounds had something important to do with your previous life and the are manifesting itself in this one.

rocking-stickman-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edited by Sweetpumper

Maybe this is caused by a close encounter of the 4th kind.Maybe it is caused by aliens, no, the ghosts of aliens, resurrected by the ancient Mayas in Atlantis, who know the eternal secret,etc,etc.Maybe this forum is frequented by fruitcakes.

• Like 1

At the risk of sounding like a "fruit cake" I'm going to admit I've had a couple of similar scratch incidents.

Both times happened in a house that was about 50 years old and filled with negative thinking people.

I lived in an addition to the house.

I used to hear strange voices and had weird experiences in that house all the time.

The first scratch I didn't really notice till I started wondering why my foot was bothering me, when I checked I had 3 parallel scratches on the top of my foot, about 3 inches long. They were similar to paper cuts in that they were very clean, very fine slices, barely breaking the skin but definitely there enough to bother. I thought it must have been my cats.

The second time, I was sleeping and awoke with a start to a burning sensation, once again on the top of my right foot. It felt like a slow deliberate paper cut, painful in that awful, yucky way that's hard for me to explain.

Upon checking my foot there were 2 long parallel scratches, clearly fresh, a small amount of blood rising to the surface of my skin.

This second incident left me a bit shaken because there was nothing I could blame it on. My cats were not in the bed, there were no bugs, no scratchy linens, nothing that could have done that to me.

When I had described the incidents to friends one said that I may have inadvertently attached an entity to myself via using an Ouija board on several occasions.

Another said it was the house, that there were entities associated with the house that wanted my attention because I was an open channel at the time.

I also was tools it was demons I had unlocked via the Ouija.

Whatever it was, it has since stopped. My attitude towards the explanations I received are neutral. Whatever, anything is possible. What do I know about the after life or the unseen? I'm still alive, I'll find out when I die.

I did announce to what ever possible entities that were behaving badly that they have no right to bother me or touch me in any way without my permission and that they do not have permission so leave me alone.

I haven't had any scratches since. Believe or don't. It's my experience.

• Like 1

a fingernail/hangnail, a piece of jewelry, a feather poking out of the ticking of your pillow.

there is no way a demon is going to give you girly scratches. a demon would rip our your eyeball.

How do you know this? Can you back it up?

How do you know this? Can you back it up?

lol

yeah right

tell ya what..

you go get a demon and i'll show ya.

Edited by JGirl
  • Like 2

lol

yeah right

tell ya what..

you go get a demon and i'll show ya.

You didn't read it somewhere? Or hear it from some source that knows a lot about demons?

What I am not understanding is where bfd came across people that are having the same experience through his research, because I cannot find anything on the web as specific as his , most especially that size and to the face.

Does anyone know (research supported please) if this could be from sort of religious or faith-based belief as a sign of anything?

Could it be a medical issue? Maybe an undiscovered problem? what if they were some kind of welt instead of a scratch, kind of like ringworm (although thats fungal but you get the idea). Could it be some kind of alergic reaction maybe to your shampoo? (thinking hair lay over your face assuming you have long hair that is.)

Just some things to think about.

What I am not understanding is where bfd came across people that are having the same experience through his research, because I cannot find anything on the web as specific as his , most especially that size and to the face.

Does anyone know (research supported please) if this could be from sort of religious or faith-based belief as a sign of anything?

from what i gather it's something endemic to sites that entertain ideas of demons, paranormal etc.

i have found nothing in searches relating to any significance of these scratches online either, other than the aforementioned sites.

what really gets me is the idea that a demon or other such nasty creature would bother to lightly scratch a person. ooooh that's soooo scary right?

as i mentioned in an earlier post, it would be more likely to claw your eyeball out then scratch your cheek lightly - that is, if demons existed in the first place.

i cited a few very logical potential causes for such scratches and was met with a protesting response of the 'can you back this up' nature.

some people need to keep their beliefs alive i guess.

• Like 1

IMO it has to do with the person's subconciousness ..

Were there some problems that the OP didn't know how to handle? Frustrations, unhappiness, etc.? His subconcious mind has perhaps such a way of manifesting itself for a lack of a better solution ..

• Like 1

from what i gather it's something endemic to sites that entertain ideas of demons, paranormal etc.

i have found nothing in searches relating to any significance of these scratches online either, other than the aforementioned sites.

what really gets me is the idea that a demon or other such nasty creature would bother to lightly scratch a person. ooooh that's soooo scary right?

as i mentioned in an earlier post, it would be more likely to claw your eyeball out then scratch your cheek lightly - that is, if demons existed in the first place.

i cited a few very logical potential causes for such scratches and was met with a protesting response of the 'can you back this up' nature.

some people need to keep their beliefs alive i guess.

And some people meed to read to get their facts straight... LOL

I never stated I have any belief in demons, I stated I stand neutral, I don't believe or disbelieve.

I asked you to back up YOUR belief that "a demon would more likely claw your eyeballs out than lightly scratch your cheek".

Well, how did you come upon this information? A book on Demonology? A priest? What are you basing this information on????

WHY is it "not likely " for a demon to leave light scratches???

That is all I wanted to know. Instead of leaving a simple answer you chose to be sarcastic and smarmy.

Whatever, your right to do so. But, now I'm beginning to understand you probably got your info from movies.

And some people meed to read to get their facts straight... LOL

I never stated I have any belief in demons, I stated I stand neutral, I don't believe or disbelieve.

I asked you to back up YOUR belief that "a demon would more likely claw your eyeballs out than lightly scratch your cheek".

Well, how did you come upon this information? A book on Demonology? A priest? What are you basing this information on????

WHY is it "not likely " for a demon to leave light scratches???

That is all I wanted to know. Instead of leaving a simple answer you chose to be sarcastic and smarmy.

Whatever, your right to do so. But, now I'm beginning to understand you probably got your info from movies.

i am sarcastic, although smarmy? i dunno, what the heck is that even??

in any case, sorry if your feelings were hurt. not my intention

the reason i feel that a demon would be much more violent is basically due to the exposure over the half century that i've been alive to all sorts of lore, movies, religious beliefs, so called testimonials, etc

humor me this:

what do you suppose is the point in a demon making these little scratches on people? remember, this isn't just one or two incidences we're talking about. what is the purpose? everything has one, what could the motivation of the demon possibly be?

what on earth would cause anyone to believe that this could be a demonic thing?

i do not get that at all when it could be any number of ordinary things that happen every day that go unnoticed.

edit to add:

just looked up smarmy, and hmm, i don't think that's me - sarcastic oh yes, but not smarmy.. but cool word, thanks.

Edited by JGirl

i am sarcastic, although smarmy? i dunno, what the heck is that even??

in any case, sorry if your feelings were hurt. not my intention

the reason i feel that a demon would be much more violent is basically due to the exposure over the half century that i've been alive to all sorts of lore, movies, religious beliefs, so called testimonials, etc

humor me this:

what do you suppose is the point in a demon making these little scratches on people? remember, this isn't just one or two incidences we're talking about. what is the purpose? everything has one, what could the motivation of the demon possibly be?

what on earth would cause anyone to believe that this could be a demonic thing?

i do not get that at all when it could be any number of ordinary things that happen every day that go unnoticed.

edit to add:

just looked up smarmy, and hmm, i don't think that's me - sarcastic oh yes, but not smarmy.. but cool word, thanks.

Apology for hurting my feelings accepted, thank you.

As to what I know about demons, absolutely. Nothing. That is why I asked you to back it up. I don't know anything except what little my friends have told me and I don't believe one way or the other. If they exist I don't know whether they would scratch lightly or claw and I can't even begin to guess because I happily admit that I know nothing about demons.

But I'm open to learn from a reputable source.

I'm sorry for my misuse of the word smarmy. I do like that word too. I can't wait to use it correctly.

I'm sorry for my misuse of the word smarmy. I do like that word too. I can't wait to use it correctly.

accepted at my end too :)

as for using smarmy, oh yeah i'm definitely going to try that one out. i even like the sound of it

Bfd, can you post pictures of the scratches?

• 2 years later...

I get something similar to these. I'm trying to figure out how though. They're razor thin and I only ever get one at a time. it's always just one long scratch. I'll post a picture later because right now I have makeup on and it's covered. today i've woke up with the longest one yet! i got up to take my brothers to school and then took a little nap before going to class and when i was putting my make up on i noticed it.

His subconscious mind has perhaps such a way of manifesting itself for a lack of a better solution ..

A person after my own heart. Glad I'm not the only one who see's it like this. Not many realize how powerful the mind is. The scratches could even be caused by the OP him/herself. Some subconscious compulsion.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Found these scratches on my daughter and it's been days and they haven't disappeared...it was hard to describe them so I'm posting a picture. There's not been any reason for them and she didn't even know they were they I spoted them. She's 16 and not sexually active. They looks mostly identical and hard to write off as coincidence 

received_501183473637899.jpeg

Edited by 7ricia7

• 9 months later...

about 1.2% of the world population get these scratches. That is enough for the medical community to take notice, however they do not have an explanation for it.

I have been getting these scratches for many years on and off.

the medical community best guess is stress but they don't know how 

DSCN8563.jpg